Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Most atmospheric and story-driven games

I am looking for games that will basically suck me into them.

At work I like to watch lets plays of games or at least like to have them running in the background while I'm actually working. To me it's like watching an extremely long but good movie.

I have currently enjoyed watching;
    The Last of Us
    Beyond: Two Souls
    The Fall (Short but good story)

I currently have in queue to watch;
    Valiant Hearts: The Great War
    Darkest Dungeon
    Beyonetta 1 and 2

When I have time I am currently playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Well,

I mostly enjoyed "story-wised" playing Sillent hill 1,2,3,4 and Mass Effect 2.

Quote Originally Posted by alex14 View Post
    Well,

I mostly enjoyed "story-wised" playing Sillent hill 1,2,3,4 and Mass Effect 2.
    Must agree with Silent Hill serie - i did play all from one to 4 and seen play-through for all of them. Some jumpscares here and there but overall good atmosphere.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

List of games i like for the stories

Bioshock series - this is my alltime favorite game series for the art atmosphere et al ( also the story goes from start to finish in the most satisfying way possible once you finish burial at sea pt 2)

resident evil 4 is probably number 2 favorite i love the setting and grittyness of it plus its fun to play

I have to ask though as me being a grandpa according to south park does watching the lets play encourage or prevent you from purchasing/buying that game?

Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post
    I have to ask though as me being a grandpa according to south park does watching the lets play encourage or prevent you from purchasing/buying that game?
    For me it encourages me to buy the games (Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age, Binding of Issac, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Bioshock and Mass Effect series to name a few), I don't mind at all that the story is spoiled but I do understand why some people would be against it.

I tend to seek out broadcasters who do not interrupt cutscenes as well and absolutely avoid the ones who are loud because they feel their broadcast maybe getting boring during slower sections of the games. I like to look for honest reactions, not broadcasters who are basically juggling for the camera attention.

I'll for sure to put the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series on my list.

Bioshock wins on atmosphere and story in my book.

I'm gonna catch hell for this, but I thought Gears of War was really good. Story was cool, characters we're extremely well developed with realistic personalities and there was a sense of urgency to go through the campaign.

System Shock 2 is always good for how SHODAN likes to mess with your head.
    The Secret World has an outstanding story to play through, likely the best story experience in an MMO to date.
    Riven for pure atmospheric immersion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destiny.

/10char

The Last of Us, Vagrant Story, Fallout 3/Fallout: New Vegas and Final Fantasy XII succeeded at making me feel part of a living, breathing world.

Oblivion and Skyrim too. A special mention for The Witcher 1 & 2 as well!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armbre View Post

I tend to watch lets plays before I buy them to get a taster then because I want to be playing it while I wait for the post I'll watch some more if I'm bored.

Although I think watching it, instead of playing it in a dark room would be a crime, look up The Swapper. One of the most beautiful and atmospheric games I've ever played. Although to get the story you really have to pay attention to small details and do a bit of in-game reading.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    For me it encourages me to buy the games (Shadow of Mordor and Dragon Age, Binding of Issac, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Bioshock and Mass Effect series to name a few), I don't mind at all that the story is spoiled but I do understand why some people would be against it.

I tend to seek out broadcasters who do not interrupt cutscenes as well and absolutely avoid the ones who are loud because they feel their broadcast maybe getting boring during slower sections of the games. I like to look for honest reactions, not broadcasters who are basically juggling for the camera attention.

I'll for sure to put the Resident Evil and Silent Hill series on my list.
    That makes sense and thank you for giving me a different perspective now i might not shake my cane so much at my nephews =)

O and another game is L.A. noire it can be kinda slow but the enviroment is pretty and the story pulls you in and i actually teared up at the ending. the only other game to do so is the final dlc of bioshock. i guess i like games that make me sad? (if anyone knows of any games that pulls at the heartstrings let me know i really enjoy them)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    Destiny.

/10char
    That thing has some of the worst dialogue lines I might ever have seen in a video game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioshock , The Secret World, Resident Evil 3. For me personally.

Uncharted 1,2,3 from what haven't been mentioned yet.
    Tomb Raider 2013 (The Reboot of the series) as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deus Ex 1
    Deus Ex Human Revolution
    Mafia
    It's high noon.
    Personality: INTJ

10+ Year Old Account
    So you just like to watch videos of people playing these games instead of actually playing them? Strange but ok.

In terms of atmosphere and story I'd definitely say Bioshock and Mass Effect are the games that drew me in the most. Bioshock has so much lore to it and it's so good. So good in fact that I actually had to go out and buy the book prequel and even THAT was awesome because after playing the game and then reading the book you can actually connect certain things from the book and it's just so cool finding out the mysteries of what happened prior to the game. I can't say the same for Bioshock Infinite though. That was the weakest of the Bioshock games. It was fun but it didn't feel as immersive as the first two Rapture ones and there wasn't nearly as much lore put into as the Rapture Bioshocks. Also the gameplay was stale and was too linear compared to Bioshock 1 and 2 and it felt too much like some Halo game with the overshields and all. Was just really disappointing compared to Bioshock 1 and 2.

Mass Effect was like a second life for me. I played that game religiously. I spent most of the time playing it at night when everything was quiet with my headphones on to really get immersed into it and I spent HOURS and hours in that game just reading on the lore and talking with everyone to find out more about them and what they do. It was the first game that made me actually care for the characters. If only the ending didn't just slap you in the face after everything you've accomplished and work so hard on and spent so much time on. The last 5 minutes or so in Mass Effect 3 left such a horrid feeling in me and I kept denying the end until I saw that it was actually how the game ended. I won't spoil it of course but it really ruins the WHOLE trilogy so much that I can't even get back to it to play my other characters that I created in preparation of Mass Effect 3's release. I put so much time into those other characters too I didn't just make them in Mass Effect 2 with a made up background, I went all the way back to Mass Effect 1 and started from there and worked all the way up to Mass Effect 2. That way the characters feel more establish within the game's universe. I made like 3 other characters like that.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2015-03-13 at 04:48 PM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Keep in mind a game is only as immersive as you allow it to be. If you are really interested in the subject matter then you will pay more attention to it and be more immersed in the story.

So you just like to watch videos of people playing these games instead of actually playing them? Strange but ok.
    I never actually said that, I have over 100 games on my steam account alone, most of which take up a lot of time individually. Real life is starting to get in the way of game time now, I had to quit raiding in WoW because I couldn't keep up with the raid schedules so now I have a little time for games I never completed or even new games.

I am mostly looking for games to basically run in the background for when I am playing non story driven games like Terraria, Reassembly, SPAZ, Craft the World are recent examples that I keep going back to. I also like to play stuff in the background for when I am at work since I am stuck in a cubical at work for 8 hours a day.

As for the on topic games I have completed Bioshock 1, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Mafia, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Final Fantasy 7/10/10-2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noidentity View Post
    I never actually said that, I have over 100 games on my steam account alone, most of which take up a lot of time individually. Real life is starting to get in the way of game time now, I had to quit raiding in WoW because I couldn't keep up with the raid schedules so now I have a little time for games I never completed or even new games.

I am mostly looking for games to basically run in the background for when I am playing non story driven games like Terraria, Reassembly, SPAZ, Craft the World are recent examples that I keep going back to. I also like to play stuff in the background for when I am at work since I am stuck in a cubical at work for 8 hours a day.

As for the on topic games I have completed Bioshock 1, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Mass Effect 2 and 3, Mafia, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Final Fantasy 7/10/10-2.
    Ooohhh I see, my bad. Well since you said you already played some of the games I suggested Uncharted, Sleeping Dogs, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, and the Ezio Auditore Assassin's Creed games (AC 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations) are some other good ones.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe