New Surround system and DVD player for a TV

So my Dad is in the lookouts for a new soundsystem and a dvd-player(Nothing special, just a standard player) for around 550€, living in Sweden. Any suggestions? I don't know much about audio so rather have one of you audiophiles help me out ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    The DVD player (in my opinion) is largely irrelevant. any old console or old laptop will do that just fine,
    The sound system on the other hand can set you back a fair bit depending on your requirements.
    You are going to need to know:-
    how big the room is,
    how far the cables need to run,
    where you want to put the speakers

As of right now he's using these old ones from Jamo: a210PDD. The room is about 5x4m and about 2.2m in height. The TV is located around 4 meters away from the couch Same as before, with a 5.1 setup, with one speaker either side of the couch, raised up about 1.8meters on the wall, and then 1 on either side of the TV and 1 underneath the TV itself in the middle. Subwoofer was a bit randomly placed I believe, just a tad to the left of the TV. Cables will be run about 7-8 meters at max
    I'll get more detailed information once I get to measure the room, just remembering from the top of my head right now