Thumbs up Discussion: Having 0 Mastery + Power of set bonuses.

I went through BRF yesterday and managed to replace all my mastery gear leaving me at 0 points in mastery. I'm worried that even though mastery sims 0.15/0.25, having at least SOME mastery is better despite other stats weighing 0.39-0.50.

Any thoughts on this? (WW)

Additionally, I'm wondering how good 2p and 4p bonuses are to us, considering mages and warriors benefits quite a lot from theirs and if its better to keep the set bonus over better gear pieces.
    Last edited by Rayzel; 2015-03-17 at 10:09 PM.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    What spec are you talking about?
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Babylonius View Post
    What spec are you talking about?
    Based on his AMR link, Windwalker. As for the discussion, Mastery helps having TeB stacks when needed but that is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    when needed
    Mastery is completely random, never when you need them. TEB affects your Tigereye Brew generation rate, but you would be better off with haste.

0 mastery is the D R E A M.

I was quite surprised how blizzard decided to design mastery around TEB generation. In the end its supposedly the worst stat, having almost all other stats twice as good as mastery :/

No one seemed to answer the set piece question. I saw a sim that indicated our 4-piece is worth ~3k dps. I think that's worth two mastery pieces myself but I can't find the source right now so take that with a grain of salt.

What would you gain from avoiding the set bonuses? Perhaps a little better optimised secondary stat's? Stat optimisation dps increases would be minimal when compared to the large benefit of the set bonuses.

so its worth keeping my :
    691 chest>Chest 670
    670(mastery-less) gloves>670 tier gloves

is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rayzel View Post
    so its worth keeping my :
    691 chest>Chest 670
    670(mastery-less) gloves>670 tier gloves

is that right?
    Probably not.
    21 ilvl on chest just to get rid of mastery is pretty dumb. Those twenty ilvl's will give you tons of agility and at least one useful stat.
    For tier gloves, gaining 2 or 4 part from it is well worth having mastery on one item.

When people say having 0 mastery is the dream, they mean at their given Ilvl. Having no mastery on an item is pretty similar to a mastery item with a socket, or somewhere 5 ilvls higher with mastery on it. That's how bad mastery is, but it doesn't go any further.

Funnily enough, for a skilled player, mastery has extremely bad diminishing returns, since if you're timing your stacks well enough, the more stacks you generate, the less you'll line them up with damage phases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Set bonuses matter the most OP. You might want to get the 4 set first then start worrying about mastery. I myself have around 250
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.