Deleted

New Terminator II-style technology makes a major breakthrough in 3D Printing

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/s...ter-literally/
    (watch out the videos randomly start doing ads after a while)

Quotes:

In an iconic scene in the movie "Terminator 2," the robotic villain T-1000 rises fully formed from a puddle of metallic goo. The newest innovation in 3D printing looks pretty similar, and that's no mistake: Its creators were inspired by that very scene.

The company Carbon3D came out of two years of stealth mode Monday night with a simultaneous TED Talk and Science paper publication. Their new tech, which they say could be used in industrial applications within the next year, makes coveted 3D printers the likes of those sold by MakerBot look like child's play.
    Just as the evil T-1000 rises from its puddle of metal alloys, objects created by the new printer seem to ooze into existence from the ether. They come out fast, too: 25 to 100 times faster than anything on the market now, according to the study published in Science.
    "These hurdles mean that [ed. existing] 3D printing can be amazing for making prototypes, but just not as good for creating a commercial product in a lot of applications," Carbon3D's chief marketing officer Rob Schoeben, said. "That's what we're most interested in changing."
    "We all teach this in our undergraduate courses," Samulski said. "It illustrates what 1937 Nobel Laureate Albert Szent-Gyorgyi said: 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.' "

As I've said for awhile, technology will lead to our downfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I saw this too. Amazing technology. I'm curious to see if we see this begin to replace injection molding for parts that need to be quickly changed or configured. It looks to be plastics only, though, which still leaves room for more traditional 3D printing.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!