Thread: Offensive

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagoroth23 View Post
    Things that offend me:

1. Religion bashing
    2. Someone making fun/bashing my country

Because you can't defend religion logically and rationally so your only alternative is to be offended. I bet this sentence was very offensive.

Anyways I have never been and never will be offended by anyone on the internet. The only people who can offend me are people that I care about, and I feel like that should be the case for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steve Hughes on being offended:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xl2...watch-this_fun

Me personally, I don't really understand the whole "offensive" thing. I will say things like "He offended my brain with his stupidity", but I can not remember the last time I was "offended" by anything. It is LITERALLY just words. I may not agree with what they are saying, but who gives a shit?! I don't take myself that seriously that I am bothered by words. ANY words for that matter. People can make shots that "my mother is a fat slut", or whatever impassions them to speak at the time, their words are not my thoughts or beliefs, it doesn't change how I feel or affect me in a physcial way, so to me, being offended really is pointless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beNN View Post
    Because you can't defend religion logically and rationally so your only alternative is to be offended. I bet this sentence was very offensive.

Anyways I have never been and never will be offended by anyone on the internet. The only people who can offend me are people that I care about, and I feel like that should be the case for everyone.
    Because you also lack proof that there is no God.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post

What does being offended actually do for you? what does it take to offend you?
    Mr Fry is right.

Personal insults from people I actually care about, THAT's able to hurt me.

The rest makes me shake my head but doesn't do any damage.

I still follow a "no insults" policy when it comes to online interaction though.
    Or .. well I try to do my best to follow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman
    So if I insult your political affiliation, your gender, your sexual orientation, your mom, or your shitty car, you'd just be like "whatever" and not talk back to me?
    Oh I will talk about it. But I won't actually be emotionally harmed and start crying just because some stranger I'll never meet criticizes my lifestyle.
    It might be interesting to discuss and get a glimpse of how you tick and why you think that way, but that interest is purely academic in nature. :P

Deleted
    Because you also lack proof that there is no God.
    Let's not go there. Please.

I'm offended sometimes. But like Fry put it, so what? You either shrug it off or you stand up for yourself, and you have to pick your battles - is it worth responding to people that has a rich history of trolling and/or nonsensical arguments? I find that it often isn't, but this is a personal decision. If you have the time and energy to respond to everyone, go for it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by beNN View Post
    Let's not go there. Please.
    I certainly agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I think people who complain about people that get offended too easily are way more whiney than the people they complain about...

Like I get it. You think it's ridiculous that certain people get offended by some things you consider minor. Who gives a flying fuck? The thick-skinned people are not you who complain about those that do not, the thick-skinned are the ones who'd rather spend their time doing something productive than whining about the most meaningless things.
    This so much. I see WAY more complaining about people being offended than people being offended. Ok we get it, get over it.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    I get offended when people post quotes with pictures of famous people to make them seem more valid.

Not really though, I can hardly get offended.

I'll only say this Dagorath23 ... When it comes to proof, you can't prove anything doesn't exist. One can always claim that evidence just hasn't been found .. yet. Santa Claus, unicorns, whatever you think of the burden of proof is on the person who claims something DOES exist.

I'm not easily offended, i'll usually mildly comment on something that's involving my people, or i'll make some extremist comment, more to mock them than anything. However, if someone fires back very aggressively, like their stance is overly righteous and correct, i'll usually try to fire back just as hard. Not because I feel I'm right, but just to fuck with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Not being able to joke about things because "it offends" someone offends me.
    Seriously, I joke about everything, if you can't take that, either get out, or grow a thicker skin.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I agree that some people take offence too easily, but Stephen Fry should practice what he preaches

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/...bbc.yamaguchi/
    It doesn't really work when it's a diplomatic issue with representatives and voices of an entire country.

Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    What does being offended actually do for you? what does it take to offend you?
    General rudeness offends me, what it generally does for me is that I tend to move away or apart from the people that regularly offend me and my quality of life improves.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    I'll only say this Dagorath23 ... When it comes to proof, you can't prove anything doesn't exist. One can always claim that evidence just hasn't been found .. yet. Santa Claus, unicorns, whatever you think of the burden of proof is on the person who claims something DOES exist.
    Please do not start a flamewar on religion.

Deleted
    I do not have a very thick skin and oftentimes have a hard time not taking something to heart.
    However, this does not mean that I will go around and tell people that I am offended - I will just try to avoid dealing with them if it happens somewhat frequently.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    Not being able to joke about things because "it offends" someone offends me.
    Seriously, I joke about everything, if you can't take that, either get out, or grow a thicker skin.
    Or you know, you should learn to respect other people's beliefs, opinions and points of view. Don't be a d..k

Deleted
    Please do not start a flamewar on religion.
    Then don't bring it up, what you're replying to doesn't mention religion in anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Looks like Stephen Fry's comment is made for you

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1204...n-be-dismissed

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

But indeed, let us not go there although we went there
    You are going there...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    Then don't bring it up, what you're replying to doesn't mention religion in anyway.
    I only replied to the topic, what offends me: religion bashing does. Simple. Looks like some people got offended by my reasons of being offended.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    I would flip the coin and ask: Why would someone be so interested in offending others in the first place? Why do we condemn being offended but we do not condemn the offensive behavior? Glorifying offensive behavior as "cool" and diminishing the offended party to "whiney" is just another form of justifying bullying of others.
    It's a method to check who's in control (when sometimes they shouldn't be) by looking at the repercussions.