Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Stormwind Champion Bug

Anyone else noticed, encountered, really fucking annoyed with this bug?

So Stormwind Champion, gives all other minions +1/+1.

Now the problem I have with this, is often, if he comes on and buffs a board that has minions on 1hp (damaged) so for example, A game I just played. I used Blizzard and it cleaned all of the board with exception of a Kezan mystic, and snow chugger, so they where 4/1 and 2/1 respectively. Champ goes down, they become 5/2 and 3/2.

I polymorph SW Champ... both of the other cards go down to their original attack, but stay at 2 fucking HP..... so I'm left with a 4/2 and a 2/2 which effectively cost me the game as I couldn't then ping the kezan mystic to kill it off...

Deleted
    It's not a bug, this is how silenced health buffs always work. You remove a health buff on a minion, and it will either go down to its base maximum health if its health prior to the silence was above that number, or if it's damaged below its base maximum, it stays at that value. This is so you can't take a buffed minion down to 1 health, then remove the buff and kill it by removing the extra health.

Has some fun interaction with Equality too, if you silence a damaged minion which has the Equality debuff then the minion will return to whatever it's max HP is letting you use Equality as a minion heal.

Obviously it's rarely a good play but one day you might get some use out of it.
    Last edited by Kronik85; 2015-03-20 at 02:47 PM.

It is not a bug. It is working as intended. Let's say you have a 2/2 minion in play. You buff it up with blessing of king (+4/+4), making it a 6/6.

Let's say the following happened- it gets silenced, it would go back to 2/2.

Let's say it traded blows, and went down to 6/1. And then got silenced. It would become 2/1.

Let's say it went down to 6/3, and then got silenced, it would return to 2/2.

In your case, because the default health for the mystic and the snowchugger is 3, removing the champion or any other buff would not return it back to its original 1, because anywhere between 1-3 is part of its default health, regardless of outside factors.

In short, you got outplayed, and it worked as intended. Better luck next time!

I think I understand how you explained it, but I still don't think that works properly in this instance. The buff in this case isn't really a buff its more of an aura, now If I'm not mistaken, if something goes from 1hp to 2hp with a +1 aura, and the aura effect (in this case the other minion) is removed and the +1/+1 is now longer being applied, should it not go back to the health it had prior. Again I understand it from a point where if I left the minion at 1hp and then removed the +1 +1 it would stay at 1hp, but if its at 2hp when the aura is gone, surely it should go back to 1hp.

Deleted
    Another fun fact: facelessing a minion which has 1 HP with Stormwind out will kill it instantly, as you're effectively copying 0 health creature that's kept alive by Stormwind Champ buff.

But what does aura do? It buffs up the minions in play, just like a normal buff would do. The rules which apply to any other buffs also applies to aura's buffs.

I fully understand the concept whereby it works if something is at 1hp and you remove the effect that gave it the extra health that it would still stay at 1hp. But if something was at 3hp and then got buffed to have 4hp, but you removed that effect, it should go back to 3hp.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's just how the card works and has always worked.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    Well that isn't how the game works. It annoyed me as well, but you get used to it.

Personally I think thats a design flaw. From a point where something had 1hp prior to the buff that gave it 3hp, removing the buff (be it silence or w/e) should still put it back to 1hp, not leave it at 3.

If something had 1 hp, and was buffed to 2hp, and then it took 1 point of damage, and was then silenced, fine I can see that as letting it have 1hp, as the silence shouldn't kill it, and you can play around something like that imo. (silence first then damage) But having 1hp, being buffed to 2hp and then being silenced should put it back to 1hp. (this is effectively what I tried to do... I removed the buff that increased the HP from 1 to 2, but the HP then stayed at 2)

10+ Year Old Account
    coming from MtG i agree that how this mechanic work is a bit wierd, but hey, now you know more and you are a better player ;>

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    coming from MtG i agree that how this mechanic work is a bit wierd, but hey, now you know more and you are a better player ;>
    Not really... I pretty much did what I was supposed to in order to beat the mechanic. I removed the buff expecting the minion to lose its +1hp and return to the 1hp it had prior to having the buff, but it stayed at 2hp. There was no other way to get around it... It just doesn't seem like you can do it unless you can then do the extra 1 point of damage.

Which is wrong as far as I can see....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Devboy View Post
    Not really... I pretty much did what I was supposed to in order to beat the mechanic. I removed the buff expecting the minion to lose its +1hp and return to the 1hp it had prior to having the buff, but it stayed at 2hp. There was no other way to get around it... It just doesn't seem like you can do it unless you can then do the extra 1 point of damage.

Which is wrong as far as I can see....
    No, you didn't do what you were supposed to do in order to beat the mechanic because you didn't understand how it worked in the first place. Your expectation turned out to be wrong. Now that you know how it works, you can make your plays accordingly.

Hearthstone has a lot of these weird interactions like your Stormpike Commando's battlecry killing your opponent's Mad Scientist which in turn pulls a Mirror Entity will proc right away and give your opponent a Stormpike Commando.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Hearthstone has a lot of these weird interactions like your Stormpike Commando's battlecry killing your opponent's Mad Scientist which in turn pulls a Mirror Entity will proc right away and give your opponent a Stormpike Commando.
    Thats actually a bug

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/...pic/9677847863

A secret that is fetched by Mad Scientist can trigger if the Mad Scientist is killed by a minion’s come into play effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Has some fun interaction with Equality too, if you silence a damaged minion which has the Equality debuff then the minion will return to whatever it's max HP is letting you use Equality as a minion heal.

Obviously it's rarely a good play but one day you might get some use out of it.
    The amount of times I've seen my minions get Earth Shocked to get full HP back after because they thought it would kill them but forgot it would silence the Equality first... I always just say "I am sorry"

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Sounds like the order of turns is a bit messed up there. The deathrattle procs before death actually finishes, as the card needs to still be in play for deathrattle to take effect. When the deathrattle finishes, the secret is on the battlefield and the death completes, thus triggering the secret. Unintended or not, it's not actually a bug - Just an unintended effect. (Yes, I realize that it's listed in the known bugs forum. They'll list anything that doesn't work as intended as a bug. That doesn't mean it isn't working as the game was built.)

In the case of the health buff, the health buff is INTENDED to be a partial heal. It's been that way since day 1 of the hearthstone alpha. The card gives a + to max health, which is offset by adding to the creatures current health pool. When you remove the effect, you don't offset, you just remove the + to max health. The current health is unaffected.
    Mirror entity shouldn't proc, but the one that gives two of the minion that died should work. It doesn't make sense if a minion is played, kills the mad scientist, activates the death rattle before death, which is a secret, and then dies. The stormpike commando should not count as being played after the death of the mad scientist. That's a bug.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Except again, it just sounds like the order of turns is messed up.

Using specifically the Stormpike Commando (Or any other character with a Battlecry to deal damage), this is how the order of turns would go, using nests to show why it works that way:

-Stormpike Commando is put in play
    --Battlecry effect activates
    --Deals two damage to Mad Scientist
    --Mad Scientist dies
    ---Deathrattle effect activates
    ---Pulls Secret from the deck; Mirror Entity
    ---Puts it in play
    ---Deathrattle complete, Mad Scientist is removed from play
    --Battlecry complete, now that the damage is taken and the creature killed, Stormpike Commando is now considered in play
    -Secret activates, as now the Stormpike Commando is considered played.

Again: Sounds like the normal order of turns, just not intended. Replace Stormpike Commando with ANY other damage dealing (or instant death) minion and we get the same result, hence it is not a bug. It's an unintended use of game mechanics.
    its possibly the sideffect of streamlining DR mechanics and order of actions they did before and its highly unintuitive, especially for the ME. But they dont bother fixing warsong commander either, and that card was working as inteded and then suddenly broken and it should be easier to fix, but its been 4 months now. I dont really expect mad scientist being fixed atleast for a year, given the speed they fix other stuff.

The Stormwind Champion thing still sounds like a bug to me. I get the explanation on why it doesn't do what you think it would, but that doesn't mean it's intended even if it worked that way since beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Taalyn View Post
    The Stormwind Champion thing still sounds like a bug to me. I get the explanation on why it doesn't do what you think it would, but that doesn't mean it's intended even if it worked that way since beta.

100% intended. The Southsea Captain that gives +1/+1 to other Pirates works the same way, same with the Murloc Warleader.