Poll: Should garrisons be scrapped in 7.0?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    They already stated that they will stay in draenor but not use them in the next xpac

10+ Year Old Account
    i flat out quit playing because of garrisons. ive always enjoyed playing alts, and just doing missions/proffs/banking on each alt once per day was taking 3+ hours to complete. by the time i was done i either had no time left or no motivation to actually DO anything i wanted to be doing...

No, but they need some changes

I voted "No, but they need some changes." But the changes I have in mind are pretty big.

I would only want Garrisons to remain in the game if:

1. they were account-wide (or at least, server/faction-wide). Extra alts could add extra plots / more resources, up to a certain limit.
    2. they were not an instanced hub where you become isolated from the rest of the world. Imagine if your garrison was some sort of military camp; something more like Stormshield/Warspear, where you can go about your business and have your followers, but you still see other players doing the same, all the time.
    3. there wasn't any need for you to login every single day (or even multiple times during the day). You could keep systems like missions and work orders, as long as there was some sort of weekly cap for them, and you could choose to front-load it all (or most of it) at once.
    4. there was no mine unless you're a miner, and no herb garden unless you're a herbalist. And there should also be an option to make the respawn timer of those nodes weekly rather than daily, even if it came with a small net loss in the amount of gathered resources.
    Last edited by wonderlust; 2015-03-26 at 01:23 AM.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

I like garrisons. They take no time to get anything done with them and I can still go out and play the game. I've always thought it was funny that people choose to sit in a town (or now garrison) instead of actually playing the game. But whatever. It's your montly sub so if you want to sit around and press space bar all day more power to you! I'll be out playing.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I think the idea of 'It didn't work, scrap it completely!' is kind of childish to be honest. People complain more about Blizzard's massive pendulum of development more than anything else in the game. What they should do is go back and iterate on it, revamp it and learn from their mistakes, like they should have done with flying. You don't just chuck out something because it causes problems for some (or even most) of the people, you figure out how to make it better so that the people who already enjoy it will still have it and the people who didn't enjoy it might give it a second chance and come to like it too.

Garrisons are the best thing that ever happened for botters.

I know one botter who has got 11 level 100 Garrison bots and has made several millions of gold out of botting Garissons that only takes about 20 minutes per bot per Garisson.

Popular botter forums are filled with Garisson botter threads/routines, and WoW Botting has reached its peak in popularity, which explains why Gold prices have plummeted to around $20 per 100k.

I think that Blizzard really outdid themselves with Garissons in creating the best environment possible for Botters. They could hardly have made it any better. We are in the Gold Age of WoW botting. Presently, I think that a full 7/10 ppl who play WoW are botting.

I believe that Blizzard actually want to encourage botting in their game (contrary to what they may say publically), which means that we will see Garissons again the future expansion in some form.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2015-03-26 at 02:47 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    I personally like the garrison, and I really hope they will be kept in future expansions. I like leveling followers a lot. I think it's a great addition to the game.

I also do not understand why so many people want them removed. It's not mandatory to use it, so stay away from it if you don't like it. I read comments about people saying you spent most of your time idling in your garrison. Pre-WoD we all stood in <insert main cityhub> for hours doing the same thing, nothing.

People complain that everything is done from your garrison, but when we had dailies in every other expansion, people moaned about...well, dailies and having to go out and do them.

It's just never good enough for a certain portion of the playerbase. Rather zip on vinegar all day long and remain sour.

Deleted
    I hope they stay, i love my garrison

Deleted
    I rather like the garrison, but atm i got few lvl 100 chars and it only seems to be usefull to maintain 1 out of 7 garrisons. So making it account wide per fraction or even server wide per fraction would make it alot better. Geting extra plots per char would be a neat extra but there must be a limit ofcourse like the 1st 3 lvl 100 chars can add extra's (1 large, 1 medium and 2 small plots extra).

Got 1 garrison now with 40 followers at the ilvl cap (675) and the 2nd best one has like 17 followers with ilvl ~607 average. Theres just a big investment in time to get a garrison going fast and smooth. Making the barracks, salvage yard and dwarvenbunker ( dont know the horde one) mandatory to get follower gear fast makes the garrison feel small in a way with very little variation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my garrison, but yeah I'd like some of the things done differently. Would be cool if they made the next garrison into a ship or something.

Deleted
    One garrison per account and I will be happy.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Id like to see them expand it to a guild a garrison/keep. Still have personal garrisons to some capacity but also allow for guilds to build their own.

this whole page, i think, is pointless as they have already said garrisons wont continue into the next xpac anyway.

"If you watch Godzilla in reverse, it's about a giant lizard repairing Tokyo and then Moonwalking into the ocean."

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ridamark View Post
    this whole page, i think, is pointless as they have already said garrisons wont continue into the next xpac anyway.
    Certainly glad they used all that development time to develop something players like only to make it utterly pointless and not have it return.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellspawn View Post
    Next Garrison should be a ship if its the Azsharaxpac and you are the Captain yarrrr!
    That is a great idea.

And if not azshara, then hell i want a zeplin version!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie71 View Post
    I very much doubt you would ever be in the situation where you would have more then 60 tops people in a guild garrison at one time.

I think the most guild members in guilds ive been on in 8 years playing was in the 80s at one time.
    I've been in social guilds that take anyone but not alts, so yes, I've been at meetings with easily more than 100 people.
    Though as I'm unsubbed, whether any of them still have 300+ active members anymore is a different issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Garrisons are OK as a hub but I'd prefer the hub send you out into the world instead of running around inside the walls of your prison garrison.
    IMO, garrisons are a complete failure as a hub and as a city. People stay in their garrisons all day long and leave only to raid. There's little content of note-- just dungeon quests that don't reward anything worthwhile and apexis dailies that nobody needs. Invasions are brief horde-mode, I quickly grew tired of them, and the invasions stop anyway when you stop the apexis dailies. No bueno.

Personally, I love the Warship idea from Goldenyak's Great Seas Fan Expansion. You customize your ship, and take it to various ports of call, and your location determines the content available to you that day. No free ore/herbs, no endless follower missions, just limited ship missions, and most importantly content for the player. I love the way he thinks. Blizzard really should hire that guy.

Anyway, warships would essentially act as moving quest/content hubs. Your home city would be Dalaran-like for that expansion. Not instanced, shared with other players, with stuff to do like Darkmoon Isle.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2015-04-01 at 07:47 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    As many have stated already, I think that garrisons will go, but the tech behind them will stay. Garrisons worked -thematically- in WoD, but functionally only served to separate the player base and make the world feel increasingly empty.

How can Blizzard fix this in the next xpac? Well, they could make the new 'garrison' (used for lack of a better term) a part of the expansion's major city hub. You could have a section of the city - housing district - where a player could purchase or be gifted a small plot of land - where they can place small buildings or stations. They could even be really creative with it and allow players to choose the house / land they want (choice of say 3 - 5 different locations in that small section of the city).

This would help players feel like part of the something bigger and allow them to move back and forth from the community to their own personal retreat.

- On a side note - you could still do this with the boat / sub idea that some posters have brought up with a possible South Sea based xpac - players could tie up their boats on the pier and what not. We could all turn into boat people then : )

As to professions - I think it was a mistake to have them so heavily integrated into the garrison made the garrison feel mandatory and I think that was their biggest fault. "Don't like garrisons, but still want to do professions? Well, you can't, sorry."

TLDR: Garrisons as they are now will go, the tech will stay behind - make them part of the next xpac's hub and players (hopefully) won't feel so isolated.

For myself, it's the amount of time spent in a garrison. If I do everything for a given character inside my garrison it takes around 20-30 mins. That's multiplied by 11 characters. That's approximately six hours spent inside a garrison... and I have yet to go out into the world. This is what I believe needs changing.