Need some help with Unholy

Hi

I've been reading up around how to play Unholy as I've just rerolled to my DK and I'm a little confused.

What do I spend my singular frost/blood runes on? I've been using BB for blood and icy touch for frost. Is this correct?

Thanks

From what I've experienced the only time on single target you will want to use Icy Touch or Blood Boil is if you have 2 Blood or Frost Runes, you don't have any other Runes available, and you have lower than 20 Runic Power. In that scenario you can dump one of the two runes on the respective ability to simply to fill an empty global and generate 10 runic power, otherwise wait for a blood/frost pair to Festering strike, as it deals considerable more damage than Blood Boil and Icy Touch for the same resource cost. Generally speaking Plague Leech, Blood tap and Sudden Doom procs help fill the gaps in resource flow.

Deleted
    You should never be using icy touch......like forever never ever!!

Apply diseases with outbreak or plague strike if thats on cooldown. Only ever blood boil with 3 or more mobs.

Spend pairs of Blood and Frost runes on Festering Strike.
    Unholy or Death runes on Scourge Strike
    Runic Power on Death Coil.

In order of priority:
    FeS on B/F runes > SS on U/D runes > Death Coil

Check out hornofwinter.com and look at the guide by skullflower. All you ever need to know about dpsing as a dk.
    Last edited by mmoc6f478cda41; 2015-03-22 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander99 View Post
    You should never be using icy touch......like forever never ever!!

Apply diseases with outbreak or plague strike if thats on cooldown. Only ever blood boil with 3 or more mobs.

Spend pairs of Blood and Frost runes on Festering Strike.
    Unholy or Death runes on Scourge Strike
    Runic Power on Death Coil.

In order of priority:
    FeS on B/F runes > SS on U/D runes > Death Coil

Check out hornofwinter.com and look at the guide by skullflower. All you ever need to know about dpsing as a dk.
    excellent summary. listen to that guy.

Check out http://hornofwinter.com/unholydeathknight/ it will give you pretty much all you need to know about Unholy's rotation and such, as well as having links to other sources of knowledge on the spec.

Icy Touch technically is used right now while Reaping is all messed up. Right now Reaping isn't bringing back Frost-Death runes as Death, instead they come back as Frost. In an extended aoe situation you would be using Icy Touch to get rid of the Frost runes as well as bring them back as Death to continue aoeing, but come next week Reaping will go back to the way it should be working and will bring them back as Death runes.
    After it gets changed back to the way it should work you likely won't ever use Icy Touch even in aoe. Due to some crazy circumstance or such you might end up with an orphan Frost rune, and that's the time you choose between using a Blood-Death/Frost combo on Festering (likely because the adds are dead so no more need to aoe, this is the likely choice) or you continue with BB spam and use Icy Touch after all your other runes are recharging just so that you can force it back to Death.

Yeah honestly I found myself in similar situations learning unholy early this xpac but to remove that niche of seeing a frost rune and wanting to hit Icy touch just remove it from the bars completely if I was you. But, the one scenario I do use icy touch in is if i run into the situation where and this is prevalent in iron maidens and blackhand mostly. But when I do boats in maidens I saved everything for that phase being UB/outbreak and Garry the gargoyle. And when I come back from the boat obviously I don't have UB so while on the run it gives you a range NP and puts a few ticks before you get back. And same thing for blackhand. Because he's usually in east Guam when I drop from balcony I use it as a ranged dot. But that's becomming less and less since taking BoS. For blackhand but if you use NP for majority of fights. You'll find a use for icy touch somewhere in there. That's really the only case. And as you learn to manage your UB and outbreak you'll never need icy touch.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, it's really helped

I still wouldn't suggest removing IT from your bars completely no matter how much you think you won't need it. It has its situational uses and it's better to have it on your bars and not need it, then need it and have to spellbook it