Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Should men be given affirmative action quotas to go to University?

Following on from a major piece in the Economist this month about a gender gap in higher education:

http://www.economist.com/news/intern...ersity-and-gap

• In the OECD women now make up 56% of students enrolled, up from 46% in 1985. By 2025 that may rise to 58%.
    • America, Britain and parts of Scandinavia, have 50% more women than men on campus.
    • According to Stephan Vincent-Lancrin of the OECD, when in 2008 it published a report pointing out just how far it had gone, people “couldn’t believe it”.

Many articles over the years have confirmed this:

http://www.theguardian.com/education...-my-university
    http://www.independent.co.uk/student...s-9097135.html
    http://www.timeshighereducation.co.u...011807.article
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...mber-boys.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ap-widens.html

So my question is does everyone agree that we must, in the interest of fairness and equality between the sexes:

a) create more men-only programs and scholarships in universities, including accommodation and other resources for the provision of male needs

b) relax the entry requirements so that more men are encouraged to apply and are able to meet the minimum standards to enrol for university

c) enforce a quota of ~50% men at universities - which would currently see a 8-25% fall in the number of places at university for women

Bear in mind, that these policy directives are the same ones we currently use for women in politics and business, and ones that feminists have been lobbying for as essential to remedy situations where there is a gender imbalance - which there currently is, in favour of women in universities

Deleted
    I think I speak for all alpha males on this forum board when I say we need college courses such as Menism 101 and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes me wish I was college-age again...

So what you're saying is I tell people I am going back to school for a Masters when I am really going to try and sleep with college girls? And that the numbers keep getting better and better for that?

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There shouldn't be quotas on undergraduate education because it isn't the only way to skin a cat.

You're looking at total enrollment btw Xarim. That's where you're fucking up. Come on now man, you know better than to use data this raw.

Break that shit down, specifically in schools where you learn trades, pursue a masters type education, and the likes. Lets look at THAT data.

I'm compelled to say that men dominate some of those areas in higher education in spite of enrolling less overall. Find me some decent substance in your argument and THEN we'll talk.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-03-23 at 08:39 PM.

The creative courses of my university are full of chicks

The engineering department of my university looks like a comic club members meeting.

My university has more creative courses, thus more girls attending the university.

Therefore, what? Therefore, nothing.

I see where you are coming from OP, but please can you be a little bit more specific? Bigzo pointed it pretty much out already... you need to see which courses are underrepresented by one gender and then figure out why. You can't throw them all into one pot.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    There shouldn't be quotas on undergraduate education because it isn't the only way to skin a cat.

You're looking at total enrollment btw Xarim. That's where you're fucking up. Come on now man, you know better than to use data this raw.

Break that shit down, specifically in schools where you learn trades, pursue a masters type education, and the likes. Lets look at THAT data.

I'm compelled to say that men dominate some of those areas in higher education in spite of enrolling less overall. Find me some decent substance in your argument and THEN we'll talk.
    Shhht, he's on an anti-feminism rant and he isn't making a total fool of himself, let him have his moment.

Also, Op, there are less males in college because they tend to fail classes more then the females, I speak out of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Shhht, he's on an anti-feminism rant and he isn't making a total fool of himself, let him have his moment.

Also, Op, there are less males in college because they tend to fail classes more then the females, I speak out of experience.
    We just wanna party in the first year, and then pretend like it never happened on our third attempt at some other profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post

Females in college aren't worth much beyond getting the D, I speak out of experience. (just drawing a parallel)

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Females in college aren't worth much beyond getting the D, I speak out of experience. (just drawing a parallel)
    Oh Bigzo, shooting those shots back.

Deleted
    I'm just linking other people's articles.

I didn't decide to only look at totals / aggregates, the Economist, The Times, The Telegraph etc did - I'm just repeating what they put out there. I can't really defend the way they present their numbers.

The gender pay gap statistics work the same way, on aggregate and without taking into account different jobs or hours worked or other details -- that is the basis we are using for quotas and scholarships etc for women, and those are the numbers politicians and everyone else are using
    Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2015-03-23 at 08:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    I'm just linking other people's articles.

I didn't decide to only look at totals / aggregates, the Economist, Times, Telegraph etc did - I'm just repeating what they put out there.

The gender pay gap statistics work the same way, on aggregate and without taking into account different jobs or hours worked or other details -- that is the basis we are using for quotas and scholarships etc for women, and those are the numbers politicians etc are using
    Yes, and me and most economics majors I know laugh that bullshit out to.

You're asserting a need for AA using what they say as your premise.

Damn, Xarim changed his avatar.

Asians are under affirmative action quotas at many US universities, this is so other races can attend.

I'm glad Xarim is here to protect us from the girls.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

15+ Year Old Account
    Just going to completely deadpan this...but I don't think a discrepancy this large is anything worth putting mandatory quotas to fix. Sure, encourage men to get to college, but the gap is small enough that you really don't need to start making programs to get them. This really isn't nearly as bad as say...having less women running large corporations than men named "John."
    /\ Was this sarcasm? Are you sure?
    || Read it again, I'll wait.
    || The results may surprise you.

But the racists told me here that affirmative action only helps blacks!! Honestly it should be restricted a little more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GodlyBob View Post
    Just going to completely deadpan this...but I don't think a discrepancy this large is anything worth putting mandatory quotas to fix. Sure, encourage men to get to college, but the gap is small enough that you really don't need to start making programs to get them. This really isn't nearly as bad as say...having less women running large corporations than men named "John."
    Is the right solution really forcing companies to not hire the best people for the job because they possess a penis instead of a vagina though?

Everyone wants equality.......till they loose their "special rights".
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Just speculation, wouldn't higher rates of women being in college sort of lend itself to the fact that women are still underpaid in the majority of professions (at least in the U.S.) compared to men and thus they feel they have to in order to compete? There's probably studies on this or some such but I don't really feel like looking it up. Just a thought.

Affirmative action should just be repelled altogether. It does nothing anymore besides divide us even more and give those that haven't earned it what others have earned. Not saying that people don't have the right to an education beyond HS. But if you got all d's/c's no way should you be picked over an a's/b's student because of your skin or sex organs.

Same goes for workplace Aff action... Only replace lazy and hard working where it applies.
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Are you kidding me.

My Computer Forensics class had 5 women out of 60 places, 4 of them dropped out in the first month. When the whole Computer school was in the auditorium , women were still the minority and that was two years ago.

Shouldnt need to worry about Men only courses, we dont need it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?