Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Sympathy for people who cut themselves?

Best friend when I was growing up did cutting on his forearms...We never really talked about it because I never knew what to say about his cutting. This was pre-internet days. He got thru this phase eventually but I never found out why he did this. I think I will ask him the next time I see him.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of my best friends growing up cut herself too, she felt horrible a lot of the time for no apparent reason. Eventually learned she was bi-polar, she got on medication and regular therapy sessions, and eventually managed to stop. Was just a symptom of a disease for her, so yes, I absolutely have sympathy for people who cut themselves until I know more.

No sympathy for emo weaklings.

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2015-03-23 at 11:27 PM.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on if they have an actual mental disorder or they are just doing it for attention.

Like a lot of people when I make a big mistake I kick myself. Mentally.

That's as far as it went until one day I read on the Internet about how people cut themselves. The next time I made a big mistake instead of kicking myself I imagined cutting myself. This freaked me out and I placed a mental restriction on myself thinking thoughts like that. A lot of my time is spent parenting my mind.

But I can see how a young girl reading stuff on the Internet might take up the practice.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    People usually don't do it just because they can. Usually something is causing it, and yeah, I do feel for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    Depends on if they have an actual mental disorder or they are just doing it for attention.
    "doing it for attention" means something is wrong anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    How on earth do you figure that self mutilation is NOT a pretty strong indication of some mental issues?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

I used to not. In fact I had the disgusting attitude that anyone who did such a thing or similar were just attention seekers and that they needed to get over it. It wasn't until I had my own struggle with depression that I saw the foolishness of my ways and know better not to judge people like that in such a way.

Deleted
    Used to speak with a girl from Reddit who periodically cut herself due to bouts of mania or depression.

She needed a lot of stitches for the majority of the cuts, she once cut down so you could see the bone in her thigh.

It helped her to clear her mind and focus on something, she'd also scratch herself in patterns.

So yes I have sympathy for people who do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Its pretty fascinating to me right now. I don't even know why this subject came into my head an hour ago.

Chelly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Its pretty fascinating to me right now. I don't even know why this subject came into my head an hour ago.
    You could say that about most of your threads.

OT: Yeah I feel sympathy for them, though I used to not.
    Last edited by Chelly; 2015-03-23 at 11:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    You could say that about most of your threads.
    ouch lol

10/char

I find depressed girls that do it kinda hot most of the time.

They do not hate themselves enough to get with anyone like me though

Deleted
    Yes, because everyone who cuts themselves is an "Emo weakling". The levels of people's stupidity is staggering at times........hope you don't have too much trouble figuring out who I'm talking about. Just make sure you are sitting down while u struggle with it cupcake.

10+ Year Old Account
    No sympathy, at least, in 99% of cases.

I don't buy depression or bipolar as excuses. Your crush not liking you back isn't a valid excuse for self destruction.
    ill probably be infracted for this post

People who cut themselves clearly have some issues mentally that they aren't dealing with in the proper way. I do have sympathy for them. They clearly thought they couldn't talk to anyone about it.

I don't general dispense sympathy on the weak willed. I firmly believe any issue can be over come with pure mental discipline, and if you lack that then you aren't someone I want to associate with or waste my effort on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post

I don't buy depression or bipolar as excuses. Your crush not liking you back isn't a valid excuse for self destruction.
    That's not what those are...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post

A mental illness isn't just an "excuse".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    I cut myself when i was younger, you can get addicted to the adrenaline/endorphin rush. Eventually with help and support you can move past it though, just like with any addiction. My dad was always really supportive of me, always asked me how i was feeling and if i had been cutting, having someone who i knew i would make sad by cutting around to check on me certainly helped, at least in my case.
    Thanks for sharing that by the way. Does being a good friend help also? I knew my best friend was doing it and I never said a word. Just kind of acknowledged it and hung out and played dungeons & dragons and star frontiers.