Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im honestly surprised people thought it would be the same price as a sub or even lower. im not a tin foil hat conspiracy theorists but blizz isnt going to implement something that has the possibility of them actually losing money.

theres a chance the subs might drop a little due to people using their in game gold to buy the tokens but for every sub lost because of that someone is spending $20 for it to happen. they stand to actually make more money which is the goal of the business.

Quote Originally Posted by eriktheviking View Post
    PLEX is $20
    C.R.E.D.D. is $20
    WoW Token is $20
    Ssshh, hating on wow is cool! Don't ruin it.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Twenty dollars is the standard industry price for game time tokens, not sure why anyone is surprised. Next we get to hear from the people crying about the gold price in game because only silly people think it will be below 50k.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Twenty dollars is the standard industry price for game time tokens, not sure why anyone is surprised. Next we get to hear from the people crying about the gold price in game because only silly people think it will be below 50k.
    then nobody will buy them, since you can get a 60 day prepaid code for as low as 25-30k from current gold sellers

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
    then nobody will buy them, since you can get a 60 day prepaid code for as low as 25-30k from current gold sellers
    You underestimate the fear of being banned for buying gold from gold sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Khebul View Post
    You underestimate the fear of being banned for buying gold from gold sellers.
    This. The only reason I haven't bought gold already is because I don't want to be banned for it, elsewise I would have by now. I've plenty of cash, I can buy 20$ worth of gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reimann View Post
    This. The only reason I haven't bought gold already is because I don't want to be banned for it, elsewise I would have by now. I've plenty of cash, I can buy 20$ worth of gold.
    Same here, spend 140 bucks on hearthstone when it came out and haven't played it nearly as much as I played WoW.
    Id say I could spend 200 bucks easy getting gold and not give a shit.
    If only it was legal .. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Same here, spend 140 bucks on hearthstone when it came out and haven't played it nearly as much as I played WoW.
    Id say I could spend 200 bucks easy getting gold and not give a shit.
    If only it was legal .. :P
    This.

For many of us, 200 bucks is one day of work.I could easy spend 1 day of work to NEVER have to farm boring stuff ingame. for a looong time, anyway.
    My RL make ~1000 bucks on one day of work as a model.
    My other RL make ~2000-3000 bucks on a very good day of work as a tattoo artist.

There are lots of ppl with a lot of money that rather not waste it farming boring stuff

TIME IS MONEY as the goblins says

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kajjm View Post
    This.

For many of us, 200 bucks is one day of work.I could easy spend 1 day of work to NEVER have to farm boring stuff ingame. for a looong time, anyway.
    My other RL make ~2000-3000 bucks on a very good day of work as a tattoo artist.

There are lots of ppl with a lot of money that rather not waste it farming boring stuff

Wish I would make that kind of money, still rather trow in my 1 day of pay and never work a day in WoW again and only do stuff I like doing.

Blizzard is selling these tokens for the same price that Eve Sells their tokens and Wildstar sells theirs. Which means Blizzard is selling them AT MARKET VALUE.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

We need to consider the added value compared to regular sub given by the flexibility of the token and of involved risk (imagine if some exploit would allow people that know it to dupe the gameplay tokens for a week). However I do feel that the gap between regular sub and the token price is a bit large.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajjm View Post
    This.

You can't spend 1 day of work to never have to farm, unless you mean farm for something simple like flasks and enchants. BOE gear is tens of thousands per piece. Collectibles are way more - just pets cost somewhere in the range of 2-3 mil, mounts 10+ mil, and that's before we consider things like buying collector's editions for gold (= unsupported). Not even talking about carries - let's assume you aren't interested / aren't blocked. And all this is before tokens raising prices for everything significantly.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-03-26 at 11:30 AM.

While i have more then enough gold that i could buy plenty of these, I will probably buy very few. Months that i do play wow, I have no problem paying 15 a month. And months I don't play wow, I'm not gonna be spending gold to not play so it's not something I will use often. Although I will use this from time to time to justify paying the outrageous prices on some of the store mounts, essentially using gold to save on game time sub and using that savings on the store mount or occasional pet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa Bannon View Post
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the level of ignorance on display here. It's still a pity.

At the risk of being overly didactic...

I already know ALL of the things people are going to claim in defense of what Blizzard is doing. And no, its not really that amazing. It's just sad how predictable it all is...
    I understand your post and you make valid points however you start off on a wrong premise in my opinion. You see buying a token as buying gametime which is not true. People buy a token to buy gold, ergo, they want to buy gold. (if you wanted to buy gametime there are better valued options).
    So basically what Blizzard does is charging a $20 fee for giving you the option of acquiring x amount of gold ingame.

The process is weird because of the fact that the product changes during the process which is unusual.
    Person A buys a token for $20, that has a gold value.
    Ingame you sell a token for the gold value, but at the same time the transaction takes place the token no longer has a gold value but all of a sudden has a gametime value.
    I don't think there is an actual real life comparison that has a similar evolution....
    But basically is:
    - You buy a token that is worth gold for cash (you should NEVER buy gametime this way, only gold)
    - You sell a token that is worth gametime to a buyer (who simply has too much gold he's sitting on or the time/spent vs value makes it cheaper for him to spend gold instead of real money on subscription)

Anyway the nature of the product changes in a way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reimann View Post
    And how exactly Blizzard can prove anything.
    You just take money from someone who trades you. Worst thing that can happen: Blizzard can take away your gold.

It is not like you are going to chat with goldseller.
    ---

I expect tokens to cost around 80-100k each.
    I have 6 chars with 5 treasure finders each.. i am getting more than 3k each day! Takes less than 10min.
    90k a month = free game time.. From missions alone.

I would be fine with 90k cost. Can't wait for tokens!

Quote Originally Posted by Paladzins View Post
    And how exactly Blizzard can prove anything.
    You just take money from someone who trades you. Worst thing that can happen: Blizzard can take away your gold.
    Blizzard don't have to prove anything. They can just terminate your access to "your" account whenever they feel like it.
    http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/wow_tou.html - read paragraph 10

Blizzard don't have to prove anything. They can just terminate your access to "your" account whenever they feel like it.
    By doing it they are losing a sub (so they wouldn't do it even if they had suspicions - and they can't get rid of even sellers, much less so buyers).

Yet there are entire gold selling player driven communities in game across servers that have never even been warned or banned for selling gold and no Im not talking about the typical chat spam "Chinese" gold selling sites. I know personally I havent payed for wow out of my own pocket since wotlk and have never been warned, banned, or even contacted in any way by blizzard. I know more than dozen other people in game and irl that have been doing the same thing for a long time and never banned. What do you think a lot of the players that run AH's and make gold hand over fist do with it?
    Last edited by Gsara; 2015-03-26 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Yet there are entire gold selling player driven communities in game across servers that have never even been warned or banned for selling gold and no Im not talking about the typical chat spam "Chinese" gold selling sites. I know personally I havent payed for wow out of my own pocket since wotlk and have never been warned, banned, or even contacted in any way by blizzard. I know more than dozen other people in game and irl that have been doing the same thing for a long time and never banned. What do you think a lot of the players that run AH's and make gold hand over fist do with it?
    Back in Cata I was in a PVP guild and we were so tired of seeing bots all the time in BGs, reporting them and seeing them not be banned despite the numerous reports, that we set up a honeypot account that was running a bot every night and reported that account *several hundred times* during the course of a month. He was never banned, never warned and, from what we could gather, never contacted.

Deleted
    I have sevral friend that have bought gold on a regular basis..
    Never banned nor warned