Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Haven't finished a book in years, anything good to get me back into reading?

I love books, but I haven't finished one in years. Any ideas on what would be good to ease myself back into reading? I was thinking of giving Carrie another try...

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgaan View Post
    I love books, but I haven't finished one in years. Any ideas on what would be good to ease myself back into reading? I was thinking of giving Carrie another try...
    If you're considering Carrie, I assume you're a horror fan? I've read a TON of horror over the years, including a lot of it recently. Among the authors(and some of their books) I've enjoyed are James Herbert(The Fog, The Dark, '48), Robert R. McCammon(They Thirst, Stinger, Swan Song), Brian Keene(The Rising, City of the Dead, Darkness at the Edge of Town), Richard Laymon(The Travelling Vampire Show, One Rainy Night), Graham Masterton(the Manitou series), not a huge Dean Koontz fanatic but I'm quite fond of Phantoms, Brian Lumley(Necroscope series), H.P. Lovecraft(most of his stuff is short stories)...

Outside of horror, I read a lot of sword and sorcery(Robert E. Howard, Michael Moorcock, Karl Edward Wagner, Fritz Leiber) and military sci-fi(Robert E. Heinlein, David Drake, Keith Laumer, David Weber).

If you want more info on any of authors or my recommended books, or if your tastes learn to specific sorts let me know and I'll see if I can advise further.

Deleted
    Would make it alot easier if you gave us a genre och some books that you have read and liked

10+ Year Old Account
    50 Shades of Grey!

Seriously though, one of my favorite horror novels in Stephen King's Everything is Eventual. Good ol' sweet n short nuggets to ease you back into reading!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    James Herbert is a definite must if you like horror.

Nobody True is an absolutely amazing book. It is one of the few that had me gripped all the way through to the shocking/surprising end, that I instantly wanted to read it again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Neverwhere by Niel Gaiman. Amazing book and it's super short, with nothing else to do you can knock it out in a day, easily .

Harry Potter. Great books, again mostly very short, and readable within a day (except Order of the Doorstop).
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Instead of reading, have you tried audio books ?
    they are great for listening to as you are sat at the computer, Just finished listening to the the unabridged version of Terry Pratchett's The last continent. (part of the Discworld books)

Read "Watchers" by Dean koontz, easy to read and a real page turner. I dare you not to finish, you wont be able to put it down. Others by dean Koonts that are also excellent are "Fear Nothing" and "Seize the Night" they follow on from each other.

Deleted
    Brian Lumley - The necroscope saga - Horror, Cthulu mythos etc

Frank Herbert - Dune - Sci-fi

Isaac Asimov - The Foundation series Sci-fi

Bernard Cornwell - The Saxon Stories - Historical, vikings etc

infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. A nice carefree easy read. And on the plus side people will think you are smart when they even just see you own it.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Omgosh what isn't good to read.

Piers Anthony Split Infinity
    Any Elizabeth Moon Book
    Robert H Heinlein Starship troopers
    Robert H Heinlein Space Cadet
    The Starfist Series
    The Malazan Book of the fallen series
    Patrick Rothfuss Name of the wind series

Just to rattle a few off the top
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

The screwtape letters by C.S. Lewis if you like pholosophy

Deleted
    Metro 2033 is supposedly pretty good but stay away from Metro 2034, supposedly crap.

Metro 2033 is a bit like shortstories in the same setting with an orverarching goal/plot.

Deleted
    I liked both Metro 2033 and 2034 tbh, different take of the same universe.

If you're into light humored reads, I couln't recommend anything more than The Discworld's tales from Terry Pratchett (RIP ). It's HUGE, but really worth the time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptnTorpedo View Post
    I liked both Metro 2033 and 2034 tbh, different take of the same universe.

If you're into light humored reads, I couln't recommend anything more than The Discworld's tales from Terry Pratchett (RIP ). It's HUGE, but really worth the time.
    Started listening to the Rincewind Books when I heard he died, Have no idea why I have never read / listened to Discworld books before. So many little laughs, especially when he takes a jab at popular culture.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    Would make it alot easier if you gave us a genre och some books that you have read and liked
    I love sci-fi/fantasy and mystery. I've read books like Brave New World, 1984, the Harry Potter books... Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorites. I think I've read The Hobbit too, though that was about 11 years ago. And Frankenstein- that was awesome.

I love sci-fi/fantasy and mystery. I've read books like Brave New World, 1984, the Harry Potter books... Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorites. I think I've read The Hobbit too, though that was about 11 years ago. And Frankenstein- that was awesome.
    Try The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, it's really good!

Deleted
    Then by all means I stand with Terry Pratchett's work. Fantasy based stories, tackling via parody / satire on real world problems, with "polar-like" plots unfolding as you go. I think you could start with the Watch stories, see if you get caught in the universe (see http://www.au.lspace.org/books/readi...r-guide-20.jpg for storylines)

I think you'll like the books by Neil Gaiman. Start with Neverwhere and Graveyard Book, and then venture into American Gods and Anansi Boys. You'll love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ToastedBread View Post
    I think you'll like the books by Neil Gaiman. Start with Neverwhere and Graveyard Book, and then venture into American Gods and Anansi Boys. You'll love it.
    Neil Gaiman FTW.

Once you've ready Neverwhere and American Gods, I strongly recommend his "Sandman" Graphic Novel series, they're fuckin LEGENDARY.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30