Deleted

[Prot] Val'anyr Tanking

Greetings my Fellow Paladins,

I recently finished my quest for Val'anyr and decidec to give it a try as a tanking weapon.
    Since only 2 of out attacks care about weapon damage (Crusader Strike and Hammer of Rigtheoussness) the DPS loss isn't that big of a deal.
    And it benefits every heal we do besides Light's Hammer.
    It did quiet some healing during our raid: warcraftlogs /reports/Ph2qWKVHQA1fbtDN (Celdra) (Can't post links yet)
    I'm interested in your opinion on Val'anyer in WoD.

PS: My other tanking weapon is a ilvl 651 warforged axe from an invasion satchel (Haste/Mastery).

Quote Originally Posted by Anhild View Post
    Greetings my Fellow Paladins,

I recently finished my quest for Val'anyr and decidec to give it a try as a tanking weapon.
    Since only 2 of out attacks care about weapon damage (Crusader Strike and Hammer of Rigtheoussness) the DPS loss isn't that big of a deal.
    And it benefits every heal we do besides Light's Hammer.
    It did quiet some healing during our raid: warcraftlogs /reports/Ph2qWKVHQA1fbtDN (Celdra) (Can't post links yet)
    I'm interested in your opinion on Val'anyer in WoD.

PS: My other tanking weapon is a ilvl 651 warforged axe from an invasion satchel (Haste/Mastery).
    I cant actually see where it says the healing you are gaining from equipping Val (if such a metric exists on logs) but it is my strong suspicion that the stats you are losing from not having a WoD wep would outstrip said heals over the fight.

I can see how if it was purely about wep dps, you could be right, but in terms of the STR/Stam/Haste/Mastery/Crit you are losing I think they probably do more than Valanyr does.

Could be wrong but thats my (largely usubstantiated) opinion.

I'm inclined to agree with Kan (I don't main a pally though)...going off my foggy recollection of a long time ago Val is what a 15s buff with a 45s ICD? Let's assume instant procs (it certainly isn't especially on a tank) and call it a 33% uptime. I don't recall it working off absorbs so looking at this random paladin log for Gruul (he was top on TMI but I just needed SOMETHING to go off of) Clickey he did about 1.8M healing over the fight. Let's assume uniform distribution for simplicity (again not true) then Val would have added about 570k healing over the fight.

In practice I would suspect this estimate is at least double the actual healing difference (easy enough to check if you log yourself I seem to recall the Val shield having it's own ID) but even with this very very considerate value I don't think it would be worth the stat loss of (to your weapon):

108 Stamina
    87 Strength
    58 Mastery (2.52)
    48 Haste (2.67%)

and the weapon dps which is more significant than you give it credit for (of which Val does 1/10th as much).
    Last edited by Zulandia; 2015-03-25 at 03:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that you would be giving up A) at least 120 stamina (Not very important), B) At least 137 AP (Also not quite as important, given that its, what, 4% of your total AP?), C) ~70 of 2 stats (somewhat important, but still not all that important compared to the total contributation of stats), and D) Around 400 weapon damage (Given how easy it is to maintain threat, and the greatly reduced dependency on weapon damage(Using a starter weapon now is only like a 20% damage loss, blizz really gutted the effects of weapons on preformance compared to previous expansions)...

It would probs need ~60% uptime to be worth the AP/stats loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    It would probs need ~60% uptime to be worth the AP/stats loss.
    It floated around 20% uptime on the buff (not the shield) in the logs he linked that I missed before commenting

Id say that as long as you are doing ok and not hold your raid back in any way - Go with the flow.

Deleted
    Thank you for your feedback so far
    for the ones interested:
    The absorb shield is called "Protection of Ancient Kings" and the weapon proc itself is called "Blessing of Ancient Kings".
    You can see it here: /reports/Ph2qWKVHQA1fbtDn#type=healing&source=7&fight=21
    The proc had an uptime of around 27%.

Played around with it in SoO and didn't seem to be worth it, atm even if the shield caps at 20k would assume it's not really worth it in most situations, looking at logs can't really tell if it's that much of a gain as it seems, seeing how realistically it's < 10% total self healing hps, even when using SoI.