Poll: Obvious question

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Ranked Solo Queue Battlegrounds

I think we need a ranked solo queue for battleground (and even for arenas) in World Of Warcraft.

- no more hassle to create a group.
    - play any time you want.

What do you think about this ?

Yes please.

Group up with ppl of equal gear and or experience rating. Play against a team with equal gear and or experience rating. Shouldnt be too hard imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Yes please.

Group up with ppl of equal gear and or experience rating. Play against a team with equal gear and or experience rating. Shouldnt be too hard imo.
    Exactly, like in League Of legends or Dota.

Holinka asked to ask him about soloq should he give an interview, btw. Then again, he might totally answer something like "it's bad and I don't care what you think because you 'don't have a proper understanding' of it".

Deleted
    Yes fucking please!

On the other hand I must question something like this, I mean we're just gonna see bots and scrubs in rated matches and be unable to kick them or even notice how terrible they are before the match is decided.

A little bump.

- - - Updated - - -

keep this topic up guys, i can't bump every time ;/

Its not going to happen. They dont want people to be able to earn ratings by themselves. If rating is involved, they want you to queue as a group. Look at 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, rated bgs. They have skirmishes for arenas, and random bgs, but no ratings are involved. I dont see it happening, especially with holinka. Go ahead and ask him on the next interview, i wouldnt be too excited about his answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Its not going to happen. They dont want people to be able to earn ratings by themselves. If rating is involved, they want you to queue as a group. Look at 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, rated bgs. They have skirmishes for arenas, and random bgs, but no ratings are involved. I dont see it happening, especially with holinka. Go ahead and ask him on the next interview, i wouldnt be too excited about his answer.
    If we make so much noise about it, maybe they can make, there is still hope

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    If we make so much noise about it, maybe they can make, there is still hope
    He'll say something along the lines of "you have your own personal rating for arenas and rbgs so you arent tied down to a team. Its like you have ranked solo bgs now! how awesome!!! By the way, check out ashran. its great"

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    He'll say something along the lines of "you have your own personal rating for arenas and rbgs so you arent tied down to a team. Its like you have ranked solo bgs now! how awesome!!! By the way, check out ashran. its great"
    Or just "players frequently don't know what they want, they just think they want X, but in reality they want Y [so shut up and go do ashran]".

Ckuf Ashran, crappiest thing in this game for a PvP player :/

Wasnt solo queueing for arena's announced for WoD? Let me guess... scrapped?

I truly hate Arena. And I truly hate the elitist culture around getting into a RBG group. I like this idea.

However, we would never need this idea if we went back to something similar to the vanilla PvP system. The more you PvP the more pro gear you get. Does not matter if you do arena, random BG, ashran...

I do believe that it will be a problem that we will lack the possibility to "own some noobs" in BGs then. When everyone is "great" and "tryhard", we won't feel as powerful anymore. We will start see some specs/classes fading away in the higher ratings. In the top of the top, it would be 15 druids vs 15 druids.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I do believe that it will be a problem that we will lack the possibility to "own some noobs" in BGs then. When everyone is "great" and "tryhard", we won't feel as powerful anymore. We will start see some specs/classes fading away in the higher ratings. In the top of the top, it would be 15 druids vs 15 druids.
    It's not a problem at all.

I was doing a lot of random BGs with a group of 5 (not necessarily friends, just folks from OQ or trade with some minimal filtering are fine) - and while it is fun to have a 90% winrate, the most interesting games were always those rare occurrences when there was a similar party on the other side. I'd gladly soloq if it wasn't for (a) the ability to queue as a party - if you have that, you are just gimping yourself by queueing solo, (b) bots, and (c) general apathy from those who queue solo and the perception that BGs are just a way to get gear. If there's a dedicated option to soloq which removes these (a) - by disabling queueing as a party, (b) - by well, removing bots, and (c) - by removing gear grind and adding these ranks and also achievements / titles / mounts / other rewards, it might actually work and be huge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having a Ranked Solo Queue and Ranked Team Queue for Arenas and Battlegrounds would alleviate the pressure of having to find groups, while still allowing those who want to do that the freedom to do so.

Some simple rules along the lines of:

Rule #1: Pre-set roles
    1 DPS, 1 Healer for 2's
    2 DPS, 1 Healer for 3's
    3 DPS, 2 Healers for 5's
    1 Tank, 6 DPS, 3 Healers OR 7 DPS, 3 Healers for Rated Battleground's

Rule #2: No class stacking
    Only 1 class per team, i.e if there was a Restoration Druid there wouldn't be a Balance, Guardian or Feral Druid in the raid. If there's a Shadow Priest there wouldn't be a Discipline or Holy Priest, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Blithe View Post
    Having a Ranked Solo Queue and Ranked Team Queue for Arenas and Battlegrounds would alleviate the pressure of having to find groups, while still allowing those who want to do that the freedom to do so.

Some simple rules along the lines of:

Rule #1: Pre-set roles
    1 DPS, 1 Healer for 2's
    2 DPS, 1 Healer for 3's
    3 DPS, 2 Healers for 5's
    1 Tank, 6 DPS, 3 Healers OR 7 DPS, 3 Healers for Rated Battleground's

Rule #2: No class stacking
    Only 1 class per team, i.e if there was a Restoration Druid there wouldn't be a Balance, Guardian or Feral Druid in the raid. If there's a Shadow Priest there wouldn't be a Discipline or Holy Priest, etc.
    Plus ranks for matchmaking.

There are several big problem though. Suppose we even get rid of the gear grind (everyone gets gear at the door), two huge remaining problems are:

(a) queue times - even if there is just one format, like, 10v10 BGs, rank-based matchmaking requires a lot of people to make queues tolerable - with PVP being what it is, WoW might not have that many people interested, and

(b) balance - if there is no balance, the entire idea is already dead, shouldn't even try - the "no class stacking" rule won't do shit for underpowered specs, noone would play them (and those who play won't get above a certain rank), so it'll just add to queue times again, you'd be waiting for a shaman or whoever is going to be underpowered forever.

---
    In short, this won't happen. Blizzard are incapable of doing it, they can't deliver on (b) - and without it, (a) has a hard time as well. We don't even need to ask Holinka, it *can't* happen, it's just a unicorn.
    Last edited by rda; 2015-03-25 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Plus ranks for matchmaking.
    (a) queue times - even if there is just one format, like, 10v10 BGs, rank-based matchmaking requires a lot of people to make queues tolerable - with PVP being what it is, WoW might not have that many people interested, and
    Not at all, instead it will lower them, why ? no need to group, no need to wait for mates to connect, just connect, tag RBG and wait few minutes a-la LOL or Dota.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Not at all, instead it will lower them, why ? no need to group, no need to wait for mates to connect, just connect, tag RBG and wait few minutes a-la LOL or Dota.
    Queue times for BGs (which are already soloq-able) are and have always been non-negligible, queue times for ranked BGs would be 5-10 times longer due to ranking. It's a real issue.

Yes, would love to see this happen. The player base have more responsibilities these days. Would be nice just to log in que without the hassles of forming and reforming a team or wait for someone to log in.

Quote Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
    Wasnt solo queueing for arena's announced for WoD? Let me guess... scrapped?
    Nah that's skirmishes which is different.

On topic: One of the problems I see with solo Q rated play is it would turn into being about creating a premade group to beat pug groups. They couldn't prevent grouping as then people wouldn't be able to play with friends and then people wouldn't do it. Sure they can try to fix it in matchmaking like they "try" to do in random bgs right now but we've all been in random bgs where a group of 5 from the same guild/group easily dominates the game.

To me it isn't really a fun gameplay design to promote forming a group with the sole purpose of defeating unorganized queue formed "pug" groups. Even if the max queue group is 5 people, in a 10v10 rated bg, 5 people is enough to dominate the average pug group. The whole thing reminds me of vanilla wow bg groups, which we would make so that we could quickly and efficiently defeat the solo Q teams to get as much honor/rank as we could. It would be very similar I fear.

Not saying the current RBG system is great by any means, but I don't know if solo Q's would really be a better system.