Thread: PC Upgrade help

PC Upgrade help

My computer is old and slow, so it's time for a new one. I don't need an extreme gaming computer, but also do not want a piece of junk, so I'm hesitant to buy an HP, Dell, etc. My family uses it for email, web browsing, watching videos on You Tube, Minecraft, and to store photos & videos. I want a computer that is practical, fast, kinda quiet, and will last 5+ years. But I don't want to over spend on hardware that exceed my needs. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of choices, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Budget: $1000
    Games: my kids are not gamers, however they do play Minecraft occasionally
    Intensive software: none
    Peripherals: monitor, keyboard, mouse
    Software: Word and Excel
    Anti-virus: needed

I have never built a computer but have done lots of research over the last 3 weeks, so I'm okay with the assembly part, but I'm not an IT guy so getting it to work properly might be my challenge. I'm also okay with the computer being built for me. Either way.

Thanks

Deleted
    All those for 1k and last 5 years...well depends what you want to run in 5years. Anyway antivirus you can find plenty of them out there for free. This is what i would get for 1k (i don't need include ms office cause thats over 100 and you basically butcher the setup) to make it last as much as possible.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($193.99 @ NCIX US)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Respire T20 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.88 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($56.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.49 @ Directron)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($199.00 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($91.69 @ NCIX US)
    Monitor: Acer H236HLbid 60Hz 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
    Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($44.99 @ Amazon)
    Mouse: A4Tech Bloody V7 Wired Optical Mouse ($25.79 @ Amazon)
    Total: $995.77
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 03:28 EDT-0400

Alright Kostattoo...I'm gonna go with your recommendation, ordering the parts later today. Will get back to you with my first build experience.
    Thanks

I ordered the parts on the list. I changed the processor to an Intel Core i5-4690K, everything else is the same.
    Do I need to purchase anything else. Data cables?

Thanks

Deleted
    Well if you bought the i5 4690k you should have switched to a Z97 mobo too. Reasoning is the 4690k can be overclocked but H97 mobo doesn't have the ability to do so. So either stick to the non k or send the H97M Pro4 back and get the Z97M PRO4 instead. Otherwise is wasted money

I finally had the opportunity to start the build last night. Fortunately I did a test build because it appears that the PSU is DOA. After reading some reviews for this product, this is a common problem. Can you recommend a different PSU? I went with the recommended build in this thread but switched to the i5 4690K and Z97M Pro 4.

I also noticed slight damage to the corner of the motherboard, I will probably return this too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you test the PSU to make sure it's DOA? There's that weird paper clip method. http://support.antec.com/support/sol...paperclip-test
    You'd find many PSU user reviews will have that. Speaking though, was there any shipping issues? Damaged boxes or whatever?

Thank you for send me the link for the paper clip test. I tried the test, it did not work.
    The unit does not appear to be damaged from shipping, and the box was not damaged.
    I'm thinking Newegg will tell me to return the unit. Should I stick with the same unit or go with something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally would stick with the same unit.
    Also register the product on XFX site within 30 days to get the lifetime warranty thingy.