View Poll Results: Do you believe in Psychic abilities?

Voters
306. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I believe anything is possible, and some extraordinary things are very likely

23 7.52%
  • No, All people that claim special powers are full of shit.

203 66.34%
  • Yes, But I believe there is a logical explanation for it science hasn't caught up with yet.

40 13.07%
  • No, But I like turtles. That's enough nonsense for me. (AKA I DON'T CARE)

40 13.07%
Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you believe in Psychic abilities?

Do you believe in Psychic abilities, this includes prophecies, esp, telepathy, or any other supernatural ability?

Also what country are you from?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Deja Vu count? I get that alllll the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Nope.

South Africa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Deja Vu count? I get that alllll the time.
    Only if you believe there to be a super natural reason for it.

I once had a psychic moment with a giant insect on some alien planet. Unforgettable.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I don't necessarily disbelieve it, but I don't believe it either. I don't have enough information to say either way, but at the moment - since I've never met a psychic and I've heard more stories of frauds than legitimate unexplainable psychic abilities, so I'd say I lean towards not, but I could be swayed easily if I witnessed legitimate proof or at least something difficult to refute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Only if you believe there to be a super natural reason for it.
    What does psychic, the power of the mind, have ANYTHING to do with the supernatural?

Or on the flip side, how could you even ask that question when Deja Vu isn't 'normal', therefore quite obviously supernatural?

Do you even know what you're asking, or are you just trolling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I had a thing once where someone was asleep beside me and answered a question out loud that I asked them I my head. They were still asleep.
    Thing was, it's happened on two separate occasions. Very odd indeed. I can't explain it nor can I (yet) reliably reproduce it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't. With all the millions of people claiming to have them, you'd think at least one would be able to prove it. There's no reason to think any of it is real, and plenty of reason to think that it's not.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Do you believe in Psychic abilities, this includes prophecies, esp, telepathy, or any other supernatural ability?

Also what country are you from?
    Denmark

I believe that lots of people claim to be able to do such things but none of them would be willing to design a proper scientific experiment to prove such abilities even if you offered them a million $ to keep or give to their favorite charity

I believe their unwillingness hints that they do not even themselves believe they possess any abilities

Of course my second belief [wtf did i write ability for] is deeply based on the first

It is almost like a house of cards.

Other than that i believe that there is no such thing as esp or whatever and the only form of telekinesis is throwing an object or manipulating an object causing a series of events that make whatever you wanted to move move

Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I once had a psychic moment with a giant insect on some alien planet. Unforgettable.
    I kid you not, I was once stuck in Super Mario World trying to find out the very last hidden finish to a stage (The one that allowed you to get to Bowser's back door), and I had a dream about me getting the secret ending, woke up, turned on the game, tried the exact path in my dream, and ended up it was right.

Granted, that was probably more of just thinking about it too much as a kid and dreamt up a solution.

That being said, I believe in more like, I don't know, I guess gut feelings and what not. Not actual full blown psychics, I mean, I suppose psychics don't even fit into that field, I'm just talking about those times people are like "I have a really bad feeling about this", and something bad actually happens. I guess that would be more of sub-conscience thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    What does psychic, the power of the mind, have ANYTHING to do with the supernatural?

Or on the flip side, how could you even ask that question when Deja Vu isn't 'normal', therefore quite obviously supernatural?

Do you even know what you're asking, or are you just trolling?

Actually there are scientific explanations for Deja Vu, and Deja Vu, is pretty common.

Well, there is already evidence out there of supernatural abilities we don't quite understand yet. There is a human that can cut flying bullets in half with a katana, a man that can run marathons in -30 degrees F and stay warm (Nicknamed the Iceman, look him up), a kid that was blind but was able to make clicking noises and perform difficult tasks like basketball and riding a bike (Sonar). Deaf people become very talented at reading lips.

I have no doubt in my mind that psychic abilities on some level are possible. You can willpower your mind to do all sorts of amazing things if you truly desire it to. There is a condition where people complain that they're sick to get attention or skip work/school that they actually DO become terminally ill. Woman can want to get pregnant so bad that their bodies will develop symptoms and hormones to emulate pregnancy, but not actually be pregnant. I don't recall what these "sicknesses" are called, but someone on here probably does.

Psychic abilities can simply be depicted as "mind over matter". Would that be something such slowing down or speeding up your metabolism at will? That's something our conscious minds can't tell our bodies to do. What about being able to force unhealthy amounts of adrenaline into our bodies to amp us up to superhuman levels.

Anyway, the only kind of psychic ability I think would ever be possible would be to "read minds". Again, this can be on different levels.

A martial artist able to predict his opponents moves before he does them based on how he moved.
    A professional poker player being able to sense empathy, joy, panic, etc.
    Just being able to straight up know what someone else is thinking with your hax power.

If someone truly devoted their life to "reading minds" I think it could be done to such a fine point that you really wouldn't know they couldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Well, there is already evidence out there of supernatural abilities we don't quite understand yet.
    There is not. 'Supernatural' is not a thing, because if it is substantiated then it becomes natural by definition.

Psychic abilities can simply be depicted as "mind over matter". Would that be something such slowing down or speeding up your metabolism at will? That's something our conscious minds can't tell our bodies to do. What about being able to force unhealthy amounts of adrenaline into our bodies to amp us up to superhuman levels.
    Also 'superhuman' is not a thing for the same reason 'supernatural' is not a thing. Some people are more physically capable or possessed of greater limits; there is nothing to imply the existence of 'psychic' powers that has not already been explained by modern psychology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It's all bullshit.

Precognition - Bullshit
    Telekinesis - Bullshit
    Telepathy - Bullshit

Countless prizes advertised for years and years for people to prove they're psychic and every single attempt has been a failure. If anyone were psychic why don't they go and pick up all that money?

Some genuinely think they have abilities and they should be put into institutions, the rest should be locked up for fraud.

I'm from the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there is already evidence out there of supernatural abilities we don't quite understand yet. There is a human that can cut flying bullets in half with a katana, a man that can run marathons in -30 degrees F and stay warm (Nicknamed the Iceman, look him up), a kid that was blind but was able to make clicking noises and perform difficult tasks like basketball and riding a bike (Sonar). Deaf people become very talented at reading lips.
    Isn't it just a shame that the number of those that are supernatural is zero?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    There is not. 'Supernatural' is not a thing, because if it is substantiated then it becomes natural by definition.

Also 'superhuman' is not a thing for the same reason 'supernatural' is not a thing. Some people are more physically capable or possessed of greater limits; there is nothing to imply the existence of 'psychic' powers that has not already been explained by modern psychology.
    Being able to cut a flying bullet in half with a sheathed katana is of a higher limit of human psychology than basically every other human on earth. Therefor, it is "super". It's definition is mostly wordplay, but it can be argued all day.

Isn't it just a shame that the number of those that are supernatural is zero?
    If it wasn't, being blind wouldn't be such a crippling disorder.

Geez, you guys are so literal it hurts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Being able to cut a flying bullet in half with a sheathed katana is of a higher limit of human psychology than basically every other human on earth. Therefor, it is "super". It's definition is mostly wordplay, but it can be argued all day.
    Can't physically move your arms or a Katana any significant distance in the time it takes a bullet to fly past, so that trick has to be pre-planned (he knows where the bullet will go, before it's fired). Some people have amazing hand-eye coordination and can do tricks like this, but hitting a bullet isn't physically possible, and the trick wouldn't hold up to the simplest of tests.

The whole reason so many believe in this is because people aren't at all critical of the tricks performed. It'd be like people believing a performing magician was actually using magic - except we don't, because they are all honest about using tricks.
    Last edited by Revi; 2015-03-27 at 06:58 AM.

Deleted
    My cat talks to me i swear. Everytime I look at him i hear this voice as if he is talking. I concluded from this that i can talk with animals. So now i am bothering other people with it.

I am Dutch btw
    Last edited by mmoc01d19e8e8d; 2015-03-27 at 06:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it wasn't, being blind wouldn't be such a crippling disorder.
    Losing sight often increases other sensory awareness. This 'superhero' kid has had a life of blindness with which to perfect a pretty simple sonar technique. It isn't supernatural.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_echolocation

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but if proven to be true, I'd accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, there is already evidence out there of supernatural abilities we don't quite understand yet.
    Hmm, no.
    There is a human that can cut flying bullets in half with a katana,
    Very high reaction time and exceptional hand-eye coordination
    a man that can run marathons in -30 degrees F and stay warm (Nicknamed the Iceman, look him up),
    broken metabolism causing his body to be really good at staying warm
    a kid that was blind but was able to make clicking noises and perform difficult tasks like basketball and riding a bike (Sonar).
    He's had his whole life to perfect it. Being blind causes your other senses to sharpen considerably.
    Deaf people become very talented at reading lips.
    Which any person can do with enough practice.