Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

an old discussion. What do you feel about sockets and warforged loot?

since we had now warforged in ages it's time for ask again, how do you feel about certain lucky people gets warforged or socket loot pieces while many others only has the regular?

my own opinion is that i hate the fact that there is so much rng when you are trying to achieve the best sim possible like. i love to complete my BiS list i'm 4-5 pieces away from full mythic BiS. but still i hate the fact that i can't achieve the "highest sim" possible.

so i just wanted to start a discussion on how people feel about it? i for myself loved the itemlvl upgrade system where at the end everyone had fully upgraded yes warforged where still around.. but it pains me that there isn't an option to warforge a non-warforged loot.

keep in mind it's just a discussion.

also when you raid and compare yourself to the guildies. you do know that when your melee lets say death knight as they are quite strong this patch. we all know the huge difference in dps when one death knight gets warforged socket blade and the other one has no wf no socket.

Deleted
    It's an abomination that skews the fairness of the progression race. Warforged needs to die in a fucking fire, but I'd like to see sockets back on every item so there's some ability to customize your setup around different encounters; I'm somewhat fed up as a tank with swapping 6-7 pieces between every fight depending on talent setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    sockets and warforge pieces are interesting. i had a pair of socketed bracers drop that i already had without the socket. i almost didn't want to spend gp on it because i might rather have the warforged instead, but at the same time the chance is so slim to see that you just have to take the lesser desired piece. makes it hard to optimize your gearing process.

but overall i quite enjoy the rng of it all. it's a nice feeling to even see one drop whether it's for you or not.

I don't like warforged, and to an extent sockets. It's yet another layer of both RNG and timesink plastered on top of the already there weekly lockout. I could live without this crap that gives content longer life very artificially.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    sockets and warforge pieces are interesting. i had a pair of socketed bracers drop that i already had without the socket. i almost didn't want to spend gp on it because i might rather have the warforged instead, but at the same time the chance is so slim to see that you just have to take the lesser desired piece. .
    The socket is superior to being warforged unless you are taking part in some sort of item level competition. Warforged is superior to sockets only for weapons and trinkets.

With regards the main topic, I am fine with sockets and warforge pesonally. I understand the annoyance for those who rely on that extra 1% but for the vast majority, it means tat you are able to have a chance of upgrades for much longer. Gives farm a bit more interest for many players I think.
    Last edited by mmoc6d22e69d8e; 2015-03-27 at 11:27 AM.

I am fine with Warforged, but sockets is such a HUGE increase in stats that it's insane for it to be RNGed.

It is Blizz's ultimate carrot on a stick. Keeps raiders coming back for those 0.01% dps/healing increases that they will never get. Or, if they do get them it will be weeks before the next update of new gear or new xpac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thete View Post
    The socket is superior to being warforged unless you are taking part in some sort of item level competition. Warforged is superior to sockets only for weapons and trinkets.
    add cloaks and rings to that list as well as and of the specs who benefit an ungodly amount from their main stat compared to secondary.

I wish it didn't apply to Tier, but otherwise I don't really mind. I also wish that sockets and Warforged were mutually exclusive but more likely to have either as a result. Like the idea of Tertiary stats but they should've made a tertiary stat roll every time but random as to which you get. As it stands I think I have 1 Avoidance tertiary and that's it, feels underwhelming to have "new stats" feeling so rare.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    add cloaks and rings to that list as well as and of the specs who benefit an ungodly amount from their main stat compared to secondary.
    No, just weapons and trinkets with the exception of those that need a non-gemmable stat like bonus armour. The stat weights would literally have to be ungodly to outweigh the benefit of a socket and I am not aware of any spec for whom this is true.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Much of the game is just a gear grind in light of the lack of content, so the RNG regarding sockets, warforged, and tertiary stats is really more of the same. I see it in much the same way as the difficulty slider for the raids; it doesn't add anything particularly functional to the game, but it keeps enough people stuck in the loop of getting that one more thing that doesn't really matter (like achievements).

I don't like this diablo style loot we've had since ToT, it puts you in an awkward spot in certain situations
    "Hmm, this heroic piece with a socket is still slightly better than this mythic piece with no socket, now I gotta wait and pray to RNGsus that the mythic piece drops with a socket..."
    I liked it so much better when you killed a boss on hard mode, the loot it dropped was BiS, no question. You didn't have to wait for the pieces to be war forged AND with a socket.

Deleted
    In my opinion, only one type of rng roll should exist for loot drops, either sockets or warforged.

My problem is when you don't have any sockets. Blizzard stated on average people should have 3 sockets. Those sockets are a huge deal when you are sitting <= 50 away from a break point in a certain stat and don't have a damn socket on anything.

My take would be to remove sockets from tertiary stat choice and instead allow players to socket up to 3 pieces of gear.

Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    It's an abomination that skews the fairness of the progression race.
    Oh, that's bunk. Come on. You seriously think guilds at that level are pushing kills based on these miniscule differences in item level? They all have a few WF pieces. The diference from guild to guild is not skewing anything.

Even if it were, how is that any different than one guild getting luckier with weapon or trinket drops or getting the right mix of tier to hit 2 & 4 sets faster? RNG is part of the race.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    It is Blizz's ultimate carrot on a stick. Keeps raiders coming back
    Umm, sounds like a pretty good idea then right? How is this a bad thing?

Certain people are lucky, I tend not to be. I've accustomed myself to this by always being short my most desired gear pieces, rare mount drops, etc. sockets and warforged are the least of my concerns.

In the thread, people who hate rng. I think sockets/wf is great and adds some diversity to the items. Its boring when everybody has the same piece as you do, and having sockets/wf makes you want to hunt for better gear. If it weren't for sockets/wf I would have NO reason to run heroic pugs whatsoever.

I honestly wish they would implement MORE interesting things. Like chance for DOUBLE socket, or perhaps a third stat roll, or double stat roll.

Also, I think it would be great if they gave us more coins each week, instead of the standard 3 coins per week. 3 coins means I barely get any incentive or motivation to run heroic pugs anymore! To balance it out, they could reduce the % chance of loot from coining, but just give us more coins per week so it evens out. That way you have to run more pugs/put in more work/ to get items.

I already know my ideas are going to be unpopular, but I honestly enjoy pugging and I miss not having a reason to do it anymore. I love the thrill of getting some crazy loot that is better than the standard drop. IE double socketed with third stat roll, + leech/etc would just be sexy as fuck. And if we had more coins per week, we could really have fun hunting down that awesome loot.

So far my out of all my gear, 7 of my pieces has the warforged bonus and 4 of them have sockets. And none of that was just cuz omg random luck. I actually had to run pugs continously, working my ass off to get that loot, or I spent hundreds of thousands of gold on a premium to get sockets/wf. It feels good, and I can't wait to continue hunting down loot until I get wf/socket on all my pieces.
    Last edited by HappyLuckBox; 2015-03-27 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PraisetheSun View Post
    It's an abomination that skews the fairness of the progression race. Warforged needs to die in a fucking fire, but I'd like to see sockets back on every item so there's some ability to customize your setup around different encounters; I'm somewhat fed up as a tank with swapping 6-7 pieces between every fight depending on talent setup.
    You're seriously trying to say that a few extra ilvls on a few people literally skews the progression race? Yea, you've obviously not raided at that level.
    Finbez
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological
    if only WoW had come out when I was a teenager. Back then online gaming consisted of text-based MUDs....I could type "kill orc" faster than any of my competition, brosephs, and played a mean giantman cleric.

I kind of like it, but I just wish it had a higher drop rate. Warforged was fairly common in SoO, but now it feels really really rare.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Finbezwaz View Post
    You're seriously trying to say that a few extra ilvls on a few people literally skews the progression race? Yea, you've obviously not raided at that level.
    So you're telling me that if you got literally no sockets or warforged loot, and a competing guild with a completely identical roster in terms of composition and skill got it on say, 33% of the items that dropped, it wouldn't matter at all? Sure. I'll believe that.

I'm not saying it impacts it greatly in practice, but the fact that it's there and it could, for no good reason, means it needs to fucking die in a fire. There's no good reason for Warforged to exist other than to encourage guilds to farm outdated content until they can be arsed to put new stuff out. None.

I mean I'm all for Warforged or whatever in the "casual" difficulties if that's what people want, but quite frankly I'd like to see gear in Mythics standardized and regulated like it is in CMs so everybody is playing on even grounds. Might force them to actually tune some bosses properly for once as well.