Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    why would things under the sea wear mail?

surely mid to heavy armor would be an impedament under water
    Hi

So i heard space farmer could be a next class.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    why would things under the sea wear mail?

surely mid to heavy armor would be an impedament under water
    Most Naga Myrmidons are rocking plate, so how is mail the worst option for protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Technically, female Warlocks are Witches.
    Some definitions of the terms support this. Others disagree wholeheartedly. Language is like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Villager720 View Post
    Mages make water elemental in the desert. And shaman summon healing rains from no where. Or did you mean from a thematic stance?
    (DKs outside of Northrend always seem odd to me.)
    A little of both. It's like making pirates a class. That would be cool but if you're not anywhere near an ocean or a boat for two years, it's a little bit of what-the-fuck. I think that's something that needs to be thought about when making a class that will stay in the game probably forever.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2015-03-29 at 04:53 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    A little of both. It's like making pirates a class. That would be cool but if you're not anywhere near an ocean or a boat for two years, it's a little bit of what-the-fuck. I think that's something that needs to be thought about when making a class that will stay in the game probably forever.
    What makes a Monk or Death Knight feel appropriate outside Pandaria and Scourge warfare, respectively? Just inquiring.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Way too tied to Naga to work. I still don't like seeing non-Pandaren monks.

Just to head this off at the pass, I get they can just put Naga in the starting zones to "teach you" like they did Monks, still doesn't change the fact they shoehorned it in.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2015-03-29 at 06:41 AM.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

I actually quite like the idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I would agree, if not for the classes we already have that are already out of place in any environment not tailored to their specific nature. A Druid draws on the power of nature and life, and would still be as effective in the forests surrounded by life as they would in the depths of Icecrown. Maybe they'd be more powerful in the forests in lore, but that's not to say they're losing power or effectiveness by being away from their environment. Pirates don't necessarily need to be seafarers, it's simply a title for a type of character that fights and uses special techniques in a pirate-y way.
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Way too tied to Naga to work. I still don't like seeing non-Pandaren monks.

Just to head this off at the pass, I get they can just put Naga in the starting zones to "teach you" like they did Monks, still doesn't change the fact they shoehorned it in.
    A imagined they would be a hero class with their own starting experience, that would probably heavily involve the Naga.

What makes a Monk or Death Knight feel appropriate outside Pandaria and Scourge warfare, respectively? Just inquiring.
    Well, going from what I know of the lore, basically Death Knights, after the Lich King's defeat, now try to find a new place in the society of their respective original factions, usually serving the military, and trying to do some good to try to offset all the evil and suffering they caused while under the control of the Lich King. As for the Monks, I don't really know. Maybe just true altruism, wanting to help people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    I would agree, if not for the classes we already have that are already out of place in any environment not tailored to their specific nature. A Druid draws on the power of nature and life, and would still be as effective in the forests surrounded by life as they would in the depths of Icecrown. Maybe they'd be more powerful in the forests in lore, but that's not to say they're losing power or effectiveness by being away from their environment. Pirates don't necessarily need to be seafarers, it's simply a title for a type of character that fights and uses special techniques in a pirate-y way.
    Actually... that's exactly what Pirates are: outlaw seafarers. "A person who attacks and robs ships at sea" as per Oxford Dictionaries. Pirates away from the sea are not Pirates... they're just rogues.

Deleted
    As soon as we find out what the primary "theme" of the new expansion will be, we'll know what new class we'll get. Ot at the very least we'll have a very good idea of what it's gonna be.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Stalin View Post
    As soon as we find out what the primary "theme" of the new expansion will be, we'll know what new class we'll get. Ot at the very least we'll have a very good idea of what it's gonna be.
    Provided they do introduce a new class in the next expansion, that is. But usually, when they announce the primary theme of their next expansion, they also announce what the class will be, if there is one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Provided they do introduce a new class in the next expansion, that is. But usually, when they announce the primary theme of their next expansion, they also announce what the class will be, if there is one.
    Yes, fair point. Personally, I do hope we'll get another class. And if we don't, maybe at least another race. I know many people feel that we have enough of both already, but I think adding new ones every once in a while helps keep the game fresh.

I still think a Spellbreaker / Battlemage is the most likely. It would have melee/tank, physical ranged and heal utility. Imo would be ideal to introduce whenever Blizz revisits the Dalaran conflict, (which would fit into a High Seas xpac.)

Breaker tanks would be shielded and focused on dampening blows with arcane armors, buffs and incantations. Ranged dps would focus on siphoning of spells to enhance attacks, and magnification of stolen power paired with "thrown" enchanted weapons, or ranged weapons. So think more archon/feedback kind of abilities. Healing would focus on redirecting spells, debuffs and enchants to friendly party members and protect using arcane shields. So like a discipline priest but with magic manipulation / absorption.
    Last edited by Elestia; 2015-03-29 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Super positive and informative!
    You can't just say a class will eventually get a spell as a reason against another class. You don't know that. I don't even know how to explain how absurd that is.
    Ice/frost arrows doesn't slow you, it stuns you or makes a patch of ice on the ground. Cold Arrow would work like an auto frost bolt applied to auto shots. Completely different spell concept.
    Um, that's exactly how the Hunter talent works.

Druids don't have a cloud that wanders around and cyclones people. Its a new spell. That is like saying paladins can already stun people, so no one else can have it.
    As for Tornados; Druids have Typhoon, Cyclone, Ursa's Vortex, and Hurricane. Shaman have Windfury Weapon, Windwalk Totem, Storm Elemental Totem, and Storm Strike. It's safe to say that the that thematic is well covered.

And mages don't have mana shield. They had Mana Shield but it got changed to Incanter's Ward which then got changed to Incanter's Flow. And Incanter's Flow in no way resembles Mana Shield.
    Which means little. Once a Mage spell, always a Mage spell, especially since Blizzard has shown that will restore previously removed abilities to their respective classes.

This terrible concept pops up over and over again. Take away the bow component from this unit and you have a hero that imbues its weapons with frost, shoots lightning from its hand, summon tornadoes to deal damage, and can protect itself.

What existing class does that sound like?
    Last edited by Teriz; 2015-03-29 at 09:19 AM.

Um, that's exactly how the Hunter talent works.
    Fair enough, but there are others ways to alter its usage in compelling ways if wanted.

This terrible concept pops up over and over again. Take away the bow component from this unit and you have a hero that imbues its weapons with frost, shoots lightning from its hand, summon tornadoes to deal damage, and can protect itself.

What existing class does that sound like?
    You could say that about plenty of classes:
    Take away the hammer from a paladin and what do you have?
    Take away the necromancy from a Death Knight and what do you have?

If they keep adding classes that have a place in lore, at some point in time they are going to overlap with another's arsenal and theme to a degree. What would a Demon Hunter be besides a warlock with glaives? How is a Tinker that much different from an engineer; hunters also use technology too. Dark Ranger is getting tossed around now and that doesn't even involve spell changes or a weapon change from the base Hunter.

And this has only been discussing the iconic abilities of the WCIII hero. If you asked people who only played WoW what the iconic Death Knight abilities were, I doubt Deathcoil, Death Pact, and Unholy Aura would be named. The Sea Witch can go many different directions with its spell arsenal, not just relying on the elements or the established spells. Shadow magic from the Old Gods could play a part, they're almost certainly attuned with the Arcane (former Highborne), and they're considered Priestesses so there's probably some "holy-ish" magic somewhere in there too.
    I feel like you're looking for confines to the notion as opposed to new directions it could take. The lack of concrete knowledge concerning their magical school means Blizzard would have free license to embellish them in ways new and different from other classes present so far.
    Last edited by Villager720; 2015-03-29 at 10:06 AM.

An unarmed Paladin and a corpse. The Sea Witch is literally a shaman with a bow. Take the bow away, and you've got a shaman left.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    An unarmed Paladin and a corpse. The Sea Witch is literally a shaman with a bow. Take the bow away, and you've got a shaman left.
    You've got a priest and a guy swinging a sword (warrior).

Either way its semantics. In no way is the Sea Witch related to shamanism. Just cause ONE ability happens to resemble a shaman spell doesn't make them one. Cold Arrows is Hunter-esque, Mana Shield is Mage-esque, and Tornado is Druid-esque.
    Last edited by Villager720; 2015-03-29 at 10:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair enough, but there are others ways to alter its usage in compelling ways if wanted.
    So that it can be more like Frost Shock?

An unarmed Paladin.
    Necromancy is a theme and ability set, not a weapon.

In short, you take away the ranged weapons, and give this concept a melee weapon, and you have a Shaman.

If they keep adding classes that have a place in lore, at some point in time they are going to overlap with another's arsenal and theme to a degree. What would a Demon Hunter be besides a warlock with glaives? How is a Tinker that much different from an engineer; hunters also use technology too. Dark Ranger is getting tossed around now and that doesn't even involve spell changes or a weapon change from the base Hunter.
    No argument regarding Demon Hunters and Dark Rangers. However with Tinkers, I created a class concept based heavily on the WC3 Tinker, and the people who read it voted overwhelmingly that is was different than hunters and engineering;

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ss-Idea-(Long)

And this has only been discussing the iconic abilities of the WCIII hero. If you asked people who only played WoW what the iconic Death Knight abilities were, I doubt Deathcoil, Death Pact, and Unholy Aura would be named. The Sea Witch can go many different directions with its spell arsenal, not just relying on the elements or the established spells. Shadow magic from the Old Gods could play a part, they're almost certainly attuned with the Arcane (former Highborne), and they're considered Priestesses so there's probably some "holy-ish" magic somewhere in there too.
    I feel like you're looking for confines to the notion as opposed to new directions it could take. The lack of concrete knowledge concerning their magical school means Blizzard would have free license to embellish them in ways new and different from other classes present so far.
    Before Death Knights entered WoW as a class, that's exactly what their iconic abilities were.

Again, the only thing that makes this concept pop up is the fact that the hero used bows. Remove bows from the equation, and you have a Shaman. That's the point, and that's the issue.