10+ Year Old Account

Australian human rights commisioner wants 350k compensation for killer refugee.

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-...-1227282000051

Headline states: $350k in compensation to wife killer held in detention ‘fair’: Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs.

This will probably get locked for shit stirring but I really want to hear the views of what left sided people think of the article once they read it. This forum is about the only place I know which has so many left sided people and I do want to see if people think our human rights commissioner is completely batshit insane or has a valid point. After all she said that other 'fair' minded people would agree with her...

Personally I think her still having a job is a travesty.

Deleted
    What would be fair would be to send his ass back to where he came from. Criminals that commit serious violent crime shouldn't be allowed to stay in a country, regardless of the situation in their homecountry. As far as I'm concerned they've exhausted their right to protection when they go and murder someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why was he held for 8 years without trial and charge? Forget about 350k for a second, in the grand scheme of things that's totally unimportant and serves only to distract the shallow. It sounds silly but it obscures a larger problem. Need more info. Maybe I'm just stupidly tired and missing something insanely obvious.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    He is a genuine refugee and cannot be sent home.
    most fair minded Australians would say that to hold a man for eight years after he has served his full prison sentence is something that does require at least the regular consideration of his case
    He can't be sent back for some very real fear of death or violence (Asylum in Australia is hard to obtain).

So yes I agree.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with what she did, in theory but my bias leans too far on my emotion that I rather this guy fall prey to an accident before he collected the money.

You can't hold someone who's paid their debt to society for 8 years of red tape. However seeing as I said how I feel about the guy is turn a blind eye. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be wrong or corrupt in doing so.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2015-03-29 at 02:20 AM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Why was he held for 8 years without trial and charge? Forget about 350k for a second, in the grand scheme of things that's totally unimportant and serves only to distract the shallow. It sounds silly but it obscures a larger problem. Need more info. Maybe I'm just stupidly tired and missing something insanely obvious.
    He was charged and did several years for manslaughter. As a refugee and not an Australian resident he was considered still to be a risk to our community and the fact that he is a refugee they placed him back into a refugee detention center. I guess most people would then ask 'why wasn't he deported?' Indonesia has a firm stance when it comes to not accepting returning refugee's when its not in Indonesia's interests. End of the day he made the situation for himself of not being accepted in neither Indonesia nor Australia by the brutal murder of his partner whom was 23 years his junior and their unborn child. Also the detention after his sentence was deemed lawful.

I just can't fathom how people can defend this guy or even support the fact he needs any compensation especially not a ridiculous figure like $350k but then that's why I posted it here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    I just can't fathom how people can defend this guy or even support the fact he needs any compensation especially not a ridiculous figure like $350k but then that's why I posted it here.
    Its more about principles and thats what laws are about.

Not that I would like that he gets any money but if its the general rule of thumb for 8 years yeah he should probably get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He was charged and did several years for manslaughter. As a refugee and not an Australian resident he was considered still to be a risk to our community and the fact that he is a refugee they placed him back into a refugee detention center. I guess most people would then ask 'why wasn't he deported?' Indonesia has a firm stance when it comes to not accepting returning refugee's when its not in Indonesia's interests. End of the day he made the situation for himself of not being accepted in neither Indonesia nor Australia by the brutal murder of his partner whom was 23 years his junior and their unborn child. Also the detention after his sentence was deemed lawful.

Then close the borders or don't. But your country also took on certain obligation by taking them in. What he did is not a reflection Australia but keeping him detained going through red tape is. I mean unless you can just justify doing something like holding someone 8 years or maybe indefinitely I dunno.

As for the $$ amount how did they come to that figure?

I don't think it's a left or right issue unless the right there say don't take in anybody and this was a result.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of the idea of giving this guy compensation. On the other side 8 years of red tape is beyond stupid.

Mind you, the Australia right really hates this women and new.com.au is a Rupert Murdoch website.
    Last edited by Feral Camel; 2015-03-29 at 02:37 AM.

oh dear human rights scum at work again, everyone is equal no matter how evil they are, rights should be lost when you murder someone(ok manslaughter with a childs bike however you want to word taking someone elses life if it makes you feel better), no shortage of people on this planet who haven't killed someone else, and this person is lucky to be alive and certainly does not deserve 350k.

So he was 51, his wife was 28 and pregnant. So he picks up this child's bicycle and beats her to death with it. Did he have a reason at least? He wanted to order pizza and she told him to F off, she was tired of pizza?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Human rights scum? Lol

Yeah so forfeit legal rights and lower the standards for an entire country based in a guy who killed his wife? So in essence allow this guy to set the bar for an entire country. Sounds like a much bigger price than 350.000$.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Then close the borders or don't. But your country also took on certain obligation by taking them in. What he did is not a reflection Australia but keeping him detained going through red tape is. I mean unless you can just justify doing something like holding someone 8 years or maybe indefinitely I dunno.

As for the $$ amount how did they come to that figure?

I don't think it's a left or right issue unless the right there say don't take in anybody and this was a result.
    We already lock up legitimate refugees for sometimes up to years at a time in deplorable conditions who have done nothing wrong, we like most other countries generally don't allow people with existing criminal records into the country.
    If you believe our current government's rhetoric locking up refugees in detention centers is a humanitarian effort because if we didn't they would drown on their way to Australia anyway, so we intercept them at sea and transport them to either Christmas island, Nauru or sometimes a mainland detention center.
    There is also a lot more going on here between the current government and the Professor Triggs over a report she filed late last year in regards to conditions on Nauru I believe.

As for the compensation, I'd say it wouldn't be any different than someone who got sent to jail for breaking the law, and then being beaten or molested by the guards of the prison, just because they broke the law doesn't strip them of the same protections the law gives them, though it definitely leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Why did this guy get a pretty short prison sentence for murder? Is there some extenuating circumstance to the crime?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    There is also a lot more going on here between the current government and the Professor Triggs over a report she filed late last year in regards to conditions on Nauru I believe.
    I was going to say "Isn't the way Australia handles its immigration problems a bit of a sensitive topic at the moment - hasn't it lost a lot of "Human Rights brownie points" over the refugee detention centres or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    In Indonesia its more of a crime to smuggle drugs and/or use them than it is to kill your wife. Indonesia is a perfect representation of intolerance and injustice, and the international community needs to recognize there failures. And no im not some bigoted australian bogan, its the truth. Read some shit about there history, there invasion of Papua and the systematic killings that followed.

http://www.news.com.au/national/bash...-1227184471294

Dude's a real peach. He clearly has detachment disorder. He doesn't care that what he does is considered wrong. You can't let him into society as he continues to commit crimes while in detention.

Keeping him alive is a waste of tax dollars. There is no "cure" for him.......you cannot spontaneously grow a conscience. And rewarding his behavior is repugnant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulanae View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/national/bash...-1227184471294

Dude's a real peach. He clearly has detachment disorder. He doesn't care that what he does is considered wrong. You can't let him into society as he continues to commit crimes while in detention.

Keeping him alive is a waste of tax dollars. There is no "cure" for him.......you cannot spontaneously grow a conscience. And rewarding his behavior is repugnant.
    I guess they updated it to a better detailed article. I completely agree with you.

He deserves nothing except for a short drop.

Well if you think about it, Australia in general turns away a lot of illegal immigrants from their shores before they even land. This would strike a nerve in the negative sense for people to see this as 'justified' back in the land down under with a slant towards naturals rather than foreigners, especially since he killed someone.