Thread: Wow log help

Wow log help

Hello y'all. This site has been great for me when it comes to improving my mage play. That being said, I'm still far from perfect, and probably still quite a ways from adequate. First off, I would love to know some of the things y'all look at when reading logs for fire/arcane. Any querie set ups? Also if I could get a little help looking through my logs it would be great. Thanks!

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/A2frTBJq4cMdQhaP

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vulcan/simple

Deleted
    Hey, I've looked a bit through your log from Oregorger (it opened report on that one) and made some time line of your CD usage.

5:42 kill time

0:06 arcane power
    0:10 prismatic crystal
    0:21 presence of mind
    0:31 evocation

2:44 arcane power
    2:46 prismatic crystal
    3:13 evocation

4:16 arcane power
    4:19 prismatic crystal
    4:31 presence of mind

rune of power 54% uptime

You could've squish one more Burn phase with prismatic crystal, arcane power, pom and evo. Even if interupts where bad you can use it on the boxes, you know atleast somewhere is better than not using it at all. Second thing is your Rune of Power uptime (on Gruul aswell). Rune is a bit better than Incanter's Flow as Arcane on single target fight, but on fights like Oregorger with a lot of the movement IF is better (unless your guild allows you to stand somewhere behind or on the side to avoid Rethec Blackrock in P1 or so you can DPS the boss and near boxes and not move all the time, things like Ice Block and even Greater Invis can help you from not getting hit when he's rolling through your path, or Blinking away). With Rune you need to think ahead imo, and it's not worth for so small DPS increase if you don't know class very well.

Regarding to your potion usage. You can use one potion right before you precast Arcane Blast (2 seconds before the pull) so the cooldown starts rolling and you get one more potion during combat.
    Regarding to your trinket. You have on-use trinket with cooldown of 2 minutes, so on oregorger you could've used it 3 times, and you used it once.

I'm fairly new to mage and I'm looking for way to even improve performance, but you can check here how I've done it and compare logs a bit. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...9&type=summary (fucked up my mana a bit among other things).

Other thing I noticed on your armory profile is that you miss neck and cloak enchants and 175 mastery is pretty good. After all, they're pretty cheap now.
    I see you gem critical strike and enchant it on one of the rings. Critt is kinda shit stat for Arcane mage comapred to mastery, and you should replace those with mastery ones. And lastly, enchant your weapon aswell.

I don't wanna comment on fire much because I just recently started doing some researches realted to that spec so I might not be good to explain you some things

I would recommend you to read some guides like Dutchmagoz's, Lexi's, or the one on mmo-champion. You can learn some usefull info about Arcane and Fire on all of this guides for start. There's a lot of things you need to change/cover/track tbh.

Totally missed last question. Reading logs more carefully is something you'll learn with time. Try to open few top parses from some boss, and open yours, and then compare things like damage breakdown, buff uptimes, cooldown usage, mana graph, event table. Exclude RNG things, like RPPM trinket procs, when it comes to pure uptime of them, it's something you're not able to control, and focus on the things I mentioned in last sentence. Reading and comparing logs take some time, and frankly, players that will put effort into analyzing their playstyle, do researches outside of the raiding, test things will eventually come ahead of average players.
    Last edited by mmoc7a7263a7c6; 2015-04-04 at 12:07 AM.

I often switch between arcane and fire so I kept some enchants as crit as I don't have tier items yet. If that's wrong though I'll gladly change it. When specd as fire during BEASTLORD, if your tanks don't stack the adds quickly would it be beneficial to go ahead and spread living bomb to the pack and then go back to BEASTLORD or should I just single target him down until they get there and then spread living bomb?

I'll get those other items enchanted. Should of been done already. As you said as well, I have a tendency to hang on to CDs trying to wait for the ideal moment. I'm assuming you don't want to just use them but shouldn't hold on to them for more then 5 seconds or so after they are ready?

Deleted
    You need to find some balance. For example, mastery is really good for arcane, and for fire, while critt is only good for fire (for arcane it's kinda shit compared to benefits of mastery).
    I know that on 2 targets without 4pc, critt and mastery were close to equal, while on 3 targets mastery started pulling ahead, and on 6 targets I believe it was better than intellect. So for fire, mastery is really the strongest stat unless you play it on single target where critical strike comes ahead. Not sure really without 2pc either, but as said, if you're not switching enchants and gems between encounters, just go full mastery. Also, if you can, enchant more expensive ones, as they give good amount of stats.

Explosion would benefit more than ticks on all adds. Boss is taking a lot damage that way, when bombs from multiple adds explode around him. If it's a guild run you can communicate with your tanks when to move towards adds, and you can time it to precast the bomb so it explodes as soon as possible.

You should be ready for the time when your cooldowns are coming off. There's no really ideal moment, I mean, sure it would be better if you have trinket or ring proc during cooldowns, but that's RNG and you shouldn't rely on that. There's no really a set time for how much you should or you shouldn't wait for your cooldowns, not that I'm aware of atleast. And sometimes if your group decides to delay cooldowns for harder boss phases that's perfectly fine, as long as you don't lose one usage completely.

Looking at my Gruul fight.... Any fight I play arcane honestly..... It looks like I cap my manna too much. I didn't think I wanted my mana to get lower than 93% but really I can cast AB at 93%, but want to avoid casting it if my mana is lower than that correct? And should I always burn to around 50% or is that just when list is active.

Deleted
    First of all, it's good to know that nothing will come itself, you need to spent time and at least some effort with improving your performence (this includes even high level mages when it comes to maximazing your dps). For me personaly it took about 2-3 weeks to learn Arcane and Fire on medium lvl while switching from only Frost in HM.

As DexTM mentioned, your CD usage, enchants and gems are first steps which is to take. As a Mage, playing both Fire and Arcane, you wanna maximize your Mastery stat (for both specs), and yes even on fire: I will qoute on Lexi's guide here, that Mastery on AoE fights can even overtake Int in stat priority and at higher lvl gear haste is also next to crit. For Arcane, stat priority is as following: Mastery, Haste, so both specs have nearly the same stat priority, the only exception is Single target fight as fire, where you would like to prioritze Crit. However on Single target fights you wanna go Arcane.

Later on it, there comes things which you can learn encounter by encounter -> ideal CD usage, positioning, differend talent usage (i.e. RoP / IF) etc, which mostly comes with time, when you are getting more confortable with a certain encounter, you will know what to do when or how to act accordingly when something mess up.

Guides which you should take a look on:
    icy-veins
    methodwow
    And also Rikh's mage basic's guides and his PoVs on his youtube channel (sorry i cant post links yet =/ )
    Last edited by mmoc59f2a6f843; 2015-04-04 at 03:44 PM.

I appreciate the help y'all. I've realized quite a bit that I've been doing wrong. Dedicated to upping my game. Any other advice is encouraged.