Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
    AMD GPUs are better than the Nvidia counterparts. They've just been too slow to releases them.
    Historically this has been the case, but for the past year it hasn't been. The 290x used FAR too much power, generated too much heat, and didn't perform well enough. And then Nvidia brought out the 780ti which used far less power and performed measurably better. And then the gap widened significantly when Maxwell came out and cut power consumption and heat drastically. Right now AMD only controls the mid-end. The 270(x)-280(x).

Now, this may yet correct itself - I've heard good things about the upcoming 390x's performance and power consumption. But we will see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Ah yes, the browser thing. Well, they did not have a true monopoly. There are other browsers and Windows allows you to use them. It was getting more difficult to use other browsers, now it is not. So I'd say things are fine.

Yes, but those are not regular consumer CPUs where intel will still have a monopoly. Also, Comcast does not have any sort of monopoly. I can get internet access from at least 4 different providers.

If AMD goes away, intel has no competition in several markets. Period. None of the other things you pointed out have the same effect. They are entirely different scenarios.
    anti-trust doesn't need a company to be a true monopoly, but the end result of the case is the microsoft was not broken up and it is almost universally agreed that they won

consumers use ARM chips all the time, you were saying?

/facedesk about comcast, that statement makes me feel like you work for their PR department or something, sure, i have choices, i have a 120/12 line from comcast, i could get a 12/768k line from centrylink, or i could get a cell stick with only 4gb data cap, or i can always get a dial up connection (lol)

so yeah, i have 4 choices as well, too bad comcast is the only one possible, comcast is a monoply, though if you want a "technically" correct term, oligopoly, which is pretty much the exact same thing (which is why its called anti-trust, not anti-monopoly)

seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Also, Comcast does not have any sort of monopoly. I can get internet access from at least 4 different providers.
    just /facedesk

and you are missing my point, if AMD goes away, intel will have no competition in several markets... and nobody will care. you can scream monopoly all you want nobody who can actually do anything is listening.
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2015-03-31 at 10:10 PM.

Breaking up telecom companies totally has an affect on how they do things.

Oh wait, it doesn't, because its been done, and they all still collude together as if they were still Bell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmeebs View Post
    Breaking up telecom companies totally has an affect on how they do things.

Oh wait, it doesn't, because its been done, and they all still collude together as if they were still Bell.
    not really, Bell was a research powerhouse, (they pretty much invented the frameworks for the internet, twice if you count the picturephone network in 1964), and Bell was allowed to be a monopoly for a good reason, they were required to run phone line to all who asked, even a guy on the northern edge of alaska, at no cost to the customer. this was critical to the start of the internet.

modern ISPs and cell carriers are doing nothing like that, they are finding ways to limit and exploit, rather than expand and grow

10+ Year Old Account
    With this new rumor of Samsung buying AMD, I wonder what can happen...
    We would probably see AMD going ARM. And besides, Samsung is actually doing very good in this race, the Exynos 7420 is a freaking 14nm monster. They easily beat Qualcomm's SD805 with the Exynos 5433, the damn chip is still stronger than the unreleased 810 that is supposed to be 7420's competitor.

Nvidia can pull some ARM action sometimes, the Tegra K1 is very decent. Intel made some "big" name partners too (Asus and Dell), AMD joining the party would make sense.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2015-03-31 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrArtorius View Post
    With this new rumor of Samsung buying AMD, I wonder what can happen...
    We would probably see AMD going ARM. And besides, Samsung is actually doing very good in this race, the Exynos 7420 is a freaking 14nm monster. They easily beat Qualcomm's SD805 with the Exynos 5433, the damn chip is still stronger than the unreleased 810 that is supposed to be 7420's competitor.

Nvidia can pull some ARM action sometimes, the Tegra K1 is very decent. Intel made some "big" name partners too (Asus and Dell), AMD joining the party would make sense.
    AMD is already doing ARM. They are going to release an ARM mircoserver platform this year, and next year they will release their own ARM designed core called K12.

AMD however have no interest in going into the mobile market.

Also, the whole Samsung buying AMD thing is very unlikely. First of all, not a new rumor, has been going on around for a few years now, and there are issues with the whole x86 license witch is not transferable. That means if Samsung would buy AMD and Intel would not agree with Samsung on a x86 deal AMD can't sell any x86 CPU's, which is bad considering they spent a good amount of time and resources developing Zen which should see the light of day in 2016.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently using an i5 2500k but I am keeping a close eye on AMD's Zen when it comes out next year. Looking to see how the 390/X/380X cards turn out as well.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Currently using an i5 2500k but I am keeping a close eye on AMD's Zen when it comes out next year.
    Think they'll double IPC in one generation after the FX fiasco?

Quote Originally Posted by fixx View Post
    Think they'll double IPC in one generation after the FX fiasco?
    They need to work on power efficiency and increase IPC. A big boost will be a smaller gap in process tech. If Zen is coming out in 2H 2016 is could be done on 14nm GF (aka 14nm Samsung). It's still not Intel 14nm, but a ton better than what we got now which is 32nm. The main focus of Zen will be servers, so we might not even see regular desktop parts in 2016. We will see how the architecture competes with Intel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    They need to work on power efficiency and increase IPC. A big boost will be a smaller gap in process tech. If Zen is coming out in 2H 2016 is could be done on 14nm GF (aka 14nm Samsung). It's still not Intel 14nm, but a ton better than what we got now which is 32nm. The main focus of Zen will be servers, so we might not even see regular desktop parts in 2016. We will see how the architecture competes with Intel.
    Intel's power efficiency comes from their manufacturing process, which is where they spend majority of their R&D. Carrizo will be out later this year but no word on a desktop version yet. There's no official denial of a Carrizo chip on the desktop, but so far it seems like BGA may be the only way to see Carrizo on desktop. Machines like Gigabyte Brix with Intel Iris Pro graphics.

Zen will of course be available for gaming desktop machines, but it certainly seems to be aimed for servers. The way things look now 2015 is going to suck for AMD without the release of any new CPUs.

I am quite the AMD fanboy, but... if you can buy both of them, go for Intel. It is not even discussion.
    if it would be choice between GPU from AMD or NVidia, yes, then we can talk, but not in CPU case.

Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Historically this has been the case, but for the past year it hasn't been. The 290x used FAR too much power, generated too much heat, and didn't perform well enough. And then Nvidia brought out the 780ti which used far less power and performed measurably better. And then the gap widened significantly when Maxwell came out and cut power consumption and heat drastically. Right now AMD only controls the mid-end. The 270(x)-280(x).

Now, this may yet correct itself - I've heard good things about the upcoming 390x's performance and power consumption. But we will see.
    But 290X is quite cheaper, so...
    P.S.
    Performance is basically the same, no?
    For example, http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/...1#.VRwkxekcSUk
    Last edited by Easo; 2015-04-01 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
    AMD GPUs are better than the Nvidia counterparts. They've just been too slow to releases them.
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Not any more they aren't. And unless AMD can come out strong with their next line up of cards this year and actually beat Nvidia hands down, then I doubt you'll ever see them on top ever again. AMD as a whole is slowly dying and their hardware performance is really starting to show this. If the next line of AMD cards come out and then Nvidia immediately releases another card that can beat them (like they've been doing recently), then AMD is screwed. And I've heard that this is what Nvidia is planning on doing with the supposed GTX 980ti or whatever they choose to call it. I've already got plans on getting the "980ti" when it comes out, because I know it'll perform just as well if not better than the AMD counterpart, and probably run cooler and use less power in the process.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2015-04-02 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post

Not any more they aren't. And unless AMD can come out strong with their next line up of cards this year and actually beat Nvidia hands down, then I doubt you'll ever see them on top ever again. AMD as a whole is slowly dying and their hardware performance is really starting to show this. If the next line of AMD cards come out and then Nvidia immediately releases another card that can beat them (like they've been doing recently), then AMD is screwed. And I've heard that this is what Nvidia is planning on doing with the supposed GTX 980ti or whatever they choose to call it. I've already got plans on getting the "980ti" when it comes out, because I know it'll perform just as well if not better than the AMD counterpart, and probably run cooler and use less power in the process.
    The 980ti will be a weaker and cheaper Titan X. Don't expect a more powerful card than the Titan X till next year from NVidia. The only advantage the 980ti might have is a better stock cooler which is good for OCing.

I don't think that AMD is in any rush to release cards considering that game devs had samples for a while, there were even rumors of them coming out in March, which ended up not happening. June it most likely is. How it will perform is not known, but if the rumors are true and they die size will be 550mm^2 then it could compete with the Titan X, especially if they fix power savings and add a good stock cooler for some nice OC (rumors are that the 390X will ship with water blocks).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post

I seriously doubt the 980ti will blow away the 390/X card but we'll wait and see.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn't we literally have this same discussion a week or two ago and it got locked? Why? Just go read the other one.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Didn't we literally have this same discussion a week or two ago and it got locked? Why? Just go read the other one.
    Because this discussion pop's up in one form or another roughly once a week. That or a thread that is vaguely talking about amd vs nvidia(even build-help threads) will be hijacked and turn into a shit-flinging contest to see who's sticks to the wall the best
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Because this discussion pop's up in one form or another roughly once a week. That or a thread that is vaguely talking about amd vs nvidia(even build-help threads) will be hijacked and turn into a shit-flinging contest to see who's sticks to the wall the best
    For a while we had an amd vs intel drought, and it was good.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    For a while we had an amd vs intel drought, and it was good.
    Speak for yourself, I like the drama, and the lengths people will go to try and deny objective and telling data.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Speak for yourself, I like the drama, and the lengths people will go to try and deny objective and telling data.
    The problem is when those debates arise in a thread where your trying to help someone who doesn't know much about PCs already then you get someone pop in and say AMD is good when facts and figures show they are not. Then you have a deabte with all sorts of info that goes over the OPs head and frustrates them when all they needed was a little build advice. Sure, in a thread like this, as long as it stays civil, it's not too bad and can sometimes be entertaining. Totally different story when someone needs help with a build or an upgrade and it turns into a 3 page debate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    Like the people who still cling to AMD CPUs? It's almost sad really.

I got a buddy at work who thinks that AMD CPUs are actually better for gaming than Intel CPUs. Like, he straight up believes that any AMD CPU will blow Intel out of the water for gaming. I've tried showing him actual facts and data to prove how wrong he really is, but he will literally ignore all of it and swear by his AMD processor. So sad....