Are there any easy and cheap upgrades i can make?

My computer still does very well, it's a little old now, just did a minor upgrade on my graphics card.

Just wanted to see if theres any upgrades out there that are cheap and easy to make that will give a noticeable difference.

RIG:
    GPU- Geforce GT 740
    CPU- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 DUO CPU E8500 @3.16GHz
    Memory- 4GB
    PSU- 500W

Running a 500 GB HD with an SSD.

Can't remember what my Motherboard is, but it's some low shit that came with the CPU.

Deleted
    There is no cheap and easy unfortunately. The rig is pretty old and you can't do much with it, it depends what cheap is for you. New cpu means new mobo which means new ram. The entry lvl gaming gpu, gtx 750ti would have like triple the power of yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zxvo View Post
    My computer still does very well, it's a little old now, just did a minor upgrade on my graphics card.

Just wanted to see if theres any upgrades out there that are cheap and easy to make that will give a noticeable difference.

RIG:
    GPU- Geforce GT 740
    CPU- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 DUO CPU E8500 @3.16GHz
    Memory- 4GB
    PSU- 500W

Running a 500 GB HD with an SSD.

Can't remember what my Motherboard is, but it's some low shit that came with the CPU.
    I have a very similar machine, and the upgrade possibilities aren't good at all. You can upgrade the cpu to a quadcore or a xeon 775 cpu http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/I...569KJ087N.html , if you look carefully you might still be able to find a spare Xeon CPU in a local store.

Upgrading the memory might be more dificult then you imagine, low entrance 775 motherboards don't suport more then 4gb, and you already have that memory, look in your motherboard manual, or try searching the pdf by searching the motherboard number in google.

Upgrading the GPU might be of no use, as you problably still using pci-E 1.1, which means you won't benefict from a faster GPU.

The best option is really buying a new machine, you can buy, or assemble one for 300€ or less if you keep your current periferics.

EDIT:
    If you want to try a new CPU, i advise you to try a new PSU aswell, at least 600w.
    Last edited by Tuor; 2015-03-31 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I have a very similar machine, and the upgrade possibilities aren't good at all. You can upgrade the cpu to a quadcore or a xeon 775 cpu http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/I...569KJ087N.html , if you look carefully you might still be able to find a spare Xeon CPU in a local store.

Upgrading the memory might be more dificult then you imagine, low entrance 775 motherboards don't suport more then 4gb, and you already have that memory, look in your motherboard manual, or try searching the pdf by searching the motherboard number in google.

Upgrading the GPU might be of no use, as you problably still using pci-E 1.1, which means you won't benefict from a faster GPU.

The best option is really buying a new machine, you can buy, or assemble one for 300€ or less if you keep your current periferics.

EDIT:
    If you want to try a new CPU, i advise you to try a new PSU aswell, at least 600w.
    True, i figured there wouldn't be an easy way to upgrade.

Finally did my taxes and have spare money to play around with. I might just end up building a whole new one. This one still runs WoW on Ultra with no problem(Really the only game i play). But between this one dying and me wanting to try newer high games, it might be time to retire this bad boy.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.