Stuck in Limbo, Advice?

So I've always been a big FFXIV fan but I've not been able to give it a solid chunck of my time over the past couple years. I had to reroll a character at the end of last year and got her to 50 and am up to the Good King Moogle story battle. So really I'm right at the starting point of end-game stuff. I'm waffling back and forth though on whether I actually have enough time to finish the story out with all the gear upgrading and more grindy stuff you have to do to advance through the end-game tiers before Heavensward. I'm far more interested in story than items. Advice? My biggest concern is the Relic line and its time commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by CJack14dt View Post
    So I've always been a big FFXIV fan but I've not been able to give it a solid chunck of my time over the past couple years. I had to reroll a character at the end of last year and got her to 50 and am up to the Good King Moogle story battle. So really I'm right at the starting point of end-game stuff. I'm waffling back and forth though on whether I actually have enough time to finish the story out with all the gear upgrading and more grindy stuff you have to do to advance through the end-game tiers before Heavensward. I'm far more interested in story than items. Advice? My biggest concern is the Relic line and its time commitment.
    You should be able to finish the story line, and at least get the first stage of the relic. My advice would be to unlock the Crystal Tower story line. You can easily do the first two stages, and it rewards decent gear which will help you with the rest of the story.

In general, the grind comes after you finish the story and unlock everything. You don't really need to grind stuff before then. Doing the relic quest will take you through all the early 50 dungeons, and you'll get random gear from that.

To sum up, don't worry about the grind. Finish the main story. Do the Crystal Tower story and the initial Relic story. That'll be enough.

Edit: Also do the Hildibrand quests for general awesomeness. Actually, you can sum up my advice as don't worry about grinding, just work through all the quests you get.
    Last edited by RohanV; 2015-03-31 at 05:31 PM.

I wouldn't worry about the relic quest considering you can get a 130 weapon from the weekly Crystal Tower quest now. That is if you aren't after the looks which you can easily do afterwards when the next expansion comes out while waiting for new patches. I'd focus on the story now while a lot of people are doing them to catch up.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't really have to upgrade all of your gear to finish the story. Also, at this point, there are a ton of over geared people doing the story mode things just from doing dailies; Those fights shouldn't be hard.

Breathe easy *wuuuu saaaaaaa* and just enjoy the story!
    The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly.

Despite it not applying, I feel almost compelled to say "Damn the wu-sa, Captain, did you just call me a tick!?"