Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Scourge Strike or Blood Boil on Iron Maidens

Just curious, not entirely sure which one is best. If it helps I have a bit more mastery than multi and I use UB/NP build.

I feel like scourge strike would be better, I don't think blood boil would be good with only 3 targets (one would be on the boat anyways). I guess it would also depend on whether or not you're on the boat.

Straight and simple: SS.
    BB does slightly more damage on 4 targets. You only use bb to spread diseases and DnD on CD because it does more damage on 2+ targets.

3 or more targets, like most guides say - also applies to this fight. Check your reports. I can use mine as an example:

Blood Boil, hitting (on an average) for - 7,251 + 7,142 + 7,373 = 21 766 (on the last phase you'll also have the turrets. Not taken into account here)
    SS, hitting (on an average) for: 8,514 +11,270 = 19784

So, when the 3 of them are on the platform, use Blood Boil. When one of them jumps to the boat - switch to SS.

Edit: And D&D is nice to use on this fight aswell.
    Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war

With UB+NP, whether to use BB on three targets or not depends on how much mastery you have in relation to your attack power. This is because BB scales better with mastery than what SS does.

With full mythic BRF gear you would need your mastery to be around 80%. This goes down to closer to 70% with normal mode gear, and with heroic gear being right in the middle. In practice this means that you likely don't have enough mastery outside of a mastery trinket proc for BB to be worth it on three targets.

Note that this is assuming you would truly ONLY use BB in place of SS. With the UB+NP build you want to use Festering Strike anyway, and as such would not really take advantage of BB's Reaping.

On the other hand if you are using either Breath of Sindragosa or Defile then it is worth using BB on three targets regardless, because it means that you can completely cut Festering Strike.

I used to be stacking mastery and BB would hit for a truck on fights like maidens and blast furnace. But going back to multi. My damage with SS is ridiculous. And like stated above it really depends on what build you're in. Necroblight I feel you need to make every rune count. It's tough to pool runes like you can when you have plague leech/BoS. Those two tunes every 20 seconds is a godsend. And makes AoE a lot easier imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceia View Post
    With UB+NP, whether to use BB on three targets or not depends on how much mastery you have in relation to your attack power. This is because BB scales better with mastery than what SS does.

With full mythic BRF gear you would need your mastery to be around 80%. This goes down to closer to 70% with normal mode gear, and with heroic gear being right in the middle. In practice this means that you likely don't have enough mastery outside of a mastery trinket proc for BB to be worth it on three targets.

Note that this is assuming you would truly ONLY use BB in place of SS. With the UB+NP build you want to use Festering Strike anyway, and as such would not really take advantage of BB's Reaping.

On the other hand if you are using either Breath of Sindragosa or Defile then it is worth using BB on three targets regardless, because it means that you can completely cut Festering Strike.
    I don't have a mastery proc trinket, and my mastery is around 65% raid buffed. The numbers given over are from a Maidens kill. In other words - I dont belive your numbers are correct.
    Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war

10+ Year Old Account
    Also don't forget to count the fact that BB cycles DRunes back as DRunes and with SS you need to cast 2x FeS to return the runes.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...holy&boss=1695

Parses generally help answer these questions

Most of the top people seems to be blood boiling very little.
    Last edited by foxes; 2015-04-01 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miseras View Post
    I don't have a mastery proc trinket, and my mastery is around 65% raid buffed. The numbers given over are from a Maidens kill. In other words - I dont belive your numbers are correct.
    Can you link your log?

Considering the damage of your hits I'm guessing that your average ilevel is 660-something, in which case your 65% raid-buffed mastery should be around the break even point for when BB is worth it on three targets. It still looks like BB does too much damage for you though in comparison to the shadow damage portion of SS. So you might have just gotten lucky with crits, or used it more often when you had buffs such as Fallen Crusader, leg ring, etc.
    Last edited by Tiyr; 2015-04-01 at 09:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foxes View Post

I wouldn't say 70 BB casts as "very little"... :P --> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...sts&source=164
    Violence awaits. You can burn with me in hell. Viva la hate!

Quote Originally Posted by Drugshock View Post
    I wouldn't say 70 BB casts as "very little"... :P --> https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...sts&source=164
    He should be casting it a lot since he is using Breath of Sindragosa. OP is asking about what to do when using Necrotic Plague. See my earlier post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugshock View Post
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=1

Highest guy using NP, 16 blood boil & 58 scourge strike, Blood boil does more dps per cast (~4k) but you prob need the blood runes for max uptime on NP

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually while I'm here, what's the target # for BB as Blood?

I went with a try of spamming BB when both targets were up on Hanz and Frans HC. Didn't notice any significant difference really. Burst felt a bit higher, but my BoS uptime was higher this reset I believe so I ended with higher DPS. Hard to tell if it was BB, RNG or the BoS uptime creating the parity between this or last week. Such is the nature of Blood.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Or you know, asking the questions in a forum of the same class also is a way to answer these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...-done&source=1

Highest guy using NP, 16 blood boil & 58 scourge strike, Blood boil does more dps per cast (~4k) but you prob need the blood runes for max uptime on NP
    Yeah likely it has to be a good balance between keeping NP up and maximing damage with BB. This is probably a point where keeping and Unholy rune as Death would come in handy, and higher haste levels might affect it slightly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    Or you know, asking the questions in a forum of the same class also is a way to answer these questions.
    No reason to be hostile, I also answered the question with the little research I had time to do while at work. Just pointed them towards a more objective and quantifiable answer if my short post wasn't enough.

No reason to be hostile, I also answered the question with the little research I had time to do while at work. Just pointed them towards a more objective and quantifiable answer if my short post wasn't enough.
    If someone posts in a class specific forum on a specific site they hardly want to just be told "you know you can also just go look it up yourself here". They want discussion and feedback on it, not looking at logs that may or may not even be accurate

Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    not looking at logs that may or may not even be accurate
    Dude, discussion and feedback is great. I added to that. Perhaps they didn't think of checking logs and it turns out that's exactly the information they were lookingfor? Why in every thread do you come along and bash on logs? Logs are great. In this case look at all the responses to logs (like that Vereesa is using BOS and thus a lot more blood boils)

Thanks for your discussion and feedback of SS versus BB Maxweii, no wait, that was just bashing logs. Good to have you on our forums to make sure no one uses one of the greatest tools provided to us as wow players. The hard data points might not be accurate.

Back to the SS/BB debate: I personally use BB when all 3 are together as I've noticed it being a slight dps gain (or it is in my head). I stack NP's duration till it needs 1-2 more fes then spam bloodboil till ship phase, fire off my last 1-2 fes strikes and then 1 round of SS usually has UB off CD.

You two need to get a room and f*** till you get it out of your system.

Anyways, personally I've found I only need to use 2-3 sets of death runes on maidens to extend NP to UB cd. On that fight I've always only used SS. I BB only to make sure my max duration plague is on all targets before a ship, or if sorka is being moved out and her plague duration won't last until she comes back into melee.
    Last edited by Ktz385; 2015-04-03 at 07:29 PM.
    Rambler.

Yeah, after a lot more attempts tonight I'm only blood boiling till the first boat and then cutting NP as close to UB as I can for the rest of the fight. At least that is what I am trying to do.