Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

US senators urge FIFA to take 2018 World Cup away from Russia

US wants FIFA to yank the WC from Russia - NOT because of Russia's horrible gay rights intolerance, but because of the Ukraine mess.

So, in other words, if they pull out from Crimea then we are all good. Go ahead and keep discriminating on gays, that's fine. We here in the US will seek to destroy an entire State based solely on speculation of discrimination, but in Russia where there is REAL systematic and ongoing abuse of homosexuals - no problem, we are cool with that.

John McCain and Dickhead Durbin wouldn't know Leo Messi even if he drilled them in the face with a ball. Fucking hypocrites.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...018-world-cup/

Deleted
    They bribed the officials fair and square.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Go ahead with it. I hope they spend a lot of money on the games.
    To be fair its a ££££ maker. Think Abramovich is coughing up most of the investment.

There is no place for politics in sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblat View Post
    What he said.Putin isn't Russia and if I remember correctly there were Olympics in Nazi Germany so unless there is information that Putin will hold the US athletes hostage in order to reclaim Alaska i don't see a problem with the World Cup taking place in Russia.

The whole thing stank of kickbacks and bribery from the beginning.

I want to see FIFA consigned to the dustbin of history and a new governing body setup free from the taint of dirty money and egotistical arseholes like blatter!

15+ Year Old Account
    Well FIFA got alot in common with Russia, like out of control corruption.
    Perfect match imo.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmgewehr86 View Post
    What he said.Putin isn't Russia and if I remember correctly there were Olympics in Nazi Germany so unless there is information that Putin will hold the US athletes hostage in order to reclaim Alaska i don't see a problem with World Cup in Russia.
    Yea, summer olympics in 1936 was held in Berlin, but they won the rights to host it 2 years before the Nazi's came to power.

I don't see the problem, just stop involving politics in sports. Just like the Olympics in Sochi.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    I don't see the problem, just stop involving politics in sports. Just like the Olympics in Sochi.
    Agreed. /10char

Yeah well if that only was true. The FIFA, IOC and FIA are ballsdeep into shady politics. And no one seems to be able to change that atm. There already has been a huge uproar with the Olympics in China and Russia before not to mention the mess that happened with last world cup.

As a sports-communication graduate i find this comment ridiculous. It's a hot topic indeed, SHOULD politics and sports go together? The answer usually is that it's inevitable. Football has started and ended wars. Booktip: Simon Kuper, "Football against the enemy" which is about politics in football.

OT: This is a delicate issue. Should we ban both Russia AND USA from participating in olympics and world cups? I think so, if this Crimea-issue is that dear to them then we should also look at USA's involvement in the middle east and specifically their providing for Israel in occupying Palestine. But also countless wars, thousands of civilian deaths by drone attacks.

Also Ukraine is no angel, the people attacked and took their parliament by force, because the current leader was "pro-russian". If you spend 5 minutes reading up on the party that did this you can see they are neo-nazi. Note that this were the events that led up to the Russian vs Ukraine situation.

Gays are discriminated in every part of the world where religion is somewhat significant (USA/Russia for example). It's true that the law that prohibits gay parades are making them increasingly discriminated in Russia. But there's no city in the world with as many gay clubs as Moskva.

Deleted
    True, however organizing such a grand sports event would bring a lot of money to the country doing it and let's be serious here, Russia isn't exactly someone you want to give money to right now. Russia is more than welcome to participate, ofcourse, should the games would be organized someplace else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I suppose the Olympics were also meant to be a money maker.
    They were mostly supposed to improve Russia's image to the world.

Joking, Lord Putin threw it all away the next month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vk8 View Post
    As a sports-communication graduate i find this comment ridiculous. It's a hot topic indeed, SHOULD politics and sports go together? The answer usually is that it's inevitable. Football has started and ended wars. Booktip: Simon Kuper, "Football against the enemy" which is about politics in football.

OT: This is a delicate issue. Should we ban both Russia AND USA from participating in olympics and world cups? I think so, if this Crimea-issue is that dear to them then we should also look at USA's involvement in the middle east and specifically their providing for Israel in occupying Palestine. But also countless wars, thousands of civilian deaths by drone attacks.

Also Ukraine is no angel, the people attacked and took their parliament by force, because the current leader was "pro-russian". If you spend 5 minutes reading up on the party that did this you can see they are neo-nazi. Note that this were the events that led up to the Russian vs Ukraine situation.

Gays are discriminated in every part of the world where religion is somewhat significant (USA/Russia for example). It's true that the law that prohibits gay parades are making them increasingly discriminated in Russia. But there's no city in the world with as many gay clubs as Moskva.
    A post consisting of logics? I think you came to the wrong forum, the internet is to vent emotional rabble!

10+ Year Old Account
    So, question from someone who doesn't follow FIFA at all and has no inherent knowledge of the issue.... are these claims about Russians bribing FIFA specific, or generalized allegations about improper behavior?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    So, question from someone who doesn't follow FIFA at all and has no inherent knowledge of the issue.... are these claims about Russians bribing FIFA specific, or generalized allegations about improper behavior?
    FIFA is a known cesspool of corruption. Allegation of bribery are the norm. To assume someone at FIFA is taking bribes is to assume the truth.

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what they can do about it if anything, but the short summary is that it appears to be happening. I still don't know how Russia or Qatar were given the World Cup, especially given how many problems there are likely to be with the Supporters. Then again, £££££
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

FIFA is riddled with corruption. The fact they gave the world cup to Qatar a country that is well known to use slave labour and has appalling human rights abuses and the fact the world cup has to now be played in winter to accommodate that decision stinks of bribery.

Now that doesn't prove Russia had used bribery to influence there decision but you cant tell me there wasnt something shady about there bidding process.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminoth4 View Post
    Not sure what they can do about it if anything, but the short summary is that it appears to be happening. I still don't know how Russia or Qatar were given the World Cup, especially given how many problems there are likely to be with the Supporters. Then again, £££££
    They can do something about it. FIFA is still located in the US/EU territory and I'm pretty sure a closer look into their...affairs could yield ugly results. Really, you don't want to piss off the government as it has plenty of power by law to fuck you up as not you or anyone else is truly clean.

The world cup in Russia is not the first nor the last world cup to be bought by countries with propaganda/tourist interests. Qatar is worse than Russia imo, they have to create whole citys to actually have places to play. They have to build a whole infrastructure + dozens of new arenas, AND it's going to be held in winter (because it's unplayable in the summer due to the warmth) times (december) with the final being on the 18th, the whole thing is insane and should not have happened.

It has so far come to a great cost with Qatar exploiting workers (think modern slaves) and they dying due to the extremely poor conditions. They even confiscated the passports of some people, i sincerely hope the world boycott this championship if nothing happens very soon.

But yea FIFA is known for corruption, there are lots of "important people" voting for which country that should get the WC and they are the ones bribed. No sane person would think Qatar is a good idea.

England, Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal etc, countries with genuine interest in football, the sport, and the infrasctructure already there to hold a world championship are the ones that should get it. Plus these countries (Italy, i mean Italy) could greatly benefit from improved arenas.
    Last edited by Krille; 2015-04-02 at 10:56 AM.