Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    there's also a difference of home and "them" - we can (somewhat easily) change things at home. changing things in another country? very difficult, if not impossible, and takes much longer.
    if it's that offensive to them as a business, dont do business in that country
    like i said im happy theyre doing something here but it is still hypocritical on some level

Quote Originally Posted by Bags- View Post
    if it's that offensive to them as a business, dont do business in that country
    like i said im happy theyre doing something here but it is still hypocritical on some level
    That would be ideal. Not defending them, just a thought process they're likely having

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    ...it'll be hilarious to watch Indiana's economy completely tank.
    Wow, that statement right there is just incredible.

You think it would be "hilarious" to watch an entire state of your fellow citizens have their entire lives destroyed just because a Christian baker would refuse to bake a homosexual couple a wedding cake? You actually think that warrants the economic downfall of hundreds of thousands of people? I hope you realize that there are gays that live in Indiana, so you are advocating destroying them as well.

And you call the Christians hateful?

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I believe every private business has the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason. Too short? Get out. Black? Get out. Gay? Get out. You shouldn't be forced to allow everyone to shop at your establishment. That being said, their company would go to shit and they'd likely go under simply because they are bigoted.
    Too bad your belief is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    I also feel like we should hold ourselves to a higher standard than everyone else
    Could you wave your hands a little bit harder, please? I can still kinda see the hypocrisy through all that bullshit.

Salesforce CEO, "We're helping employees move out of Indiana"
    Translation, "This is very very good for marketing. You can't buy advertising like this, millions of dollars worth for free!"

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Translation, "This is very very good for marketing. You can't buy advertising like this, millions of dollars worth for free!"
    Haha, exactly.

It's a PR friendly bandwagon for these companies.

The law is toothless and laughable but the angry mob has made it seem as if Indiana sends storm troopers door to door looking for gays.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Could you wave your hands a little bit harder, please? I can still kinda see the hypocrisy through all that bullshit.
    I'll do a backflip if you can actually point out how a company doing business in a bigoted country, vs providing prackages for valued employees to move out of a bigoted state, is the same thing. The company is still doing business in that state, just providing employees with relocation packages.

The holding ourselves to a higher stance refers to the ME vs Indiana. Why the fuck should one of our states start adopting the practices of the middle east to satisfy a few bigots?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I don't get why people are so up in arms about the issue.
    Business owners should have to the right to refuse service to whoever the hell they want. It's their business after all, why would you want to force them to serve everyone? I'd expect that in a communist country but not in one that prides itself on freedom. Freedom includes being able to chose who I allow on my property (meaning in my shop/restaurant).

Quote Originally Posted by MegaVolti View Post
    I don't get why people are so up in arms about the issue.
    Business owners should have to the right to refuse service to whoever the hell they want. It's their business after all, why would you want to force them to serve everyone? I'd expect that in a communist country but not in one that prides itself on freedom. Freedom includes being able to chose who I allow on my property (meaning in my shop/restaurant).
    We went through this.

It didn't work.

The CRA was introduced to fix it.

This bill says "nah man, it's okay, CRA on places of public accommodation is irrelevant if it's a strong religious belief".

Well...if nothing else, his company will get some positive press out of this. Those poor people being oppressed by the Gaystapo can't be the only ones to benefit financially from speaking out, after all.

So the next stop is country clubs right? I've always wanted to be let into one.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Hahaha, Gaystapo, who said bigotry, fascism and humor can't go hand in hand.
    Sad part is, I've actually seen people seriously make the comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by Abajaba View Post
    So the next stop is country clubs right? I've always wanted to be let into one.
    Country clubs are an actual private business (ie, not a public accommodation) and can have memberships all they want as long as said memberships are inclusive to that group (a men's club must let in all men, a black club all blacks, a christian club all christians). That said, they can deny individual membership for whatever reason as well, and not sell whatever they want to non-members.

I just wonder with the whole "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" thing that the USA was founded on isn't it your right to refuse service to anyone for any reason? I see those signs everywhere, i'm pretty sure that's a thing.

Anyway, I pride myself on being able to see both sides of an argument, and I totally get that this is discrimination, which is not right. But freedom of religion is a HUGE thing in this country, and really an important part of many, many peoples lives. Isn't it their right to deny service to those who are openly flaunting their disregard for others religious beliefs? I don't know where you draw the line. You have the right not to have your beliefs disrespected. You have the right to pursue your own form of happiness.

I guess it really comes down to whose beliefs are more in line with popular opinion because in the eyes of the law (or at least what I would assume is the intended purpose of the law) neither person is doing anything wrong according to the law.
    I put on pants, FOR THIS?!?!?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Wow, that statement right there is just incredible.
    We've already seen with Kentucky's (or was it Kansas? I keep getting them confused) surplus-to-multimillion deficit that right-wing economic policies don't work at the state level. I think it's perfectly acceptable to await the inevitable outcome of right-wing social policies' effect on the economy at the state level.

You think it would be "hilarious" to watch an entire state of your fellow citizens have their entire lives destroyed just because a Christian baker would refuse to bake a homosexual couple a wedding cake? You actually think that warrants the economic downfall of hundreds of thousands of people? I hope you realize that there are gays that live in Indiana, so you are advocating destroying them as well.
    An appeal to emotion would probably work better if you weren't arguing in favor of a law that completely violates the First, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments by stripping away the rights of any non-Christians de facto in the state of Indiana. If enough companies do what Salesforce is doing, Indiana's going to become a Bible-thumping Detroit and I am completely alright with that. I'm always in favor of letting a failed system fail and rebuild from there.

And you call the Christians hateful?
    I just like seeing people learn by doing. Kentucky (or Kansas) learned the hard way that cutting taxes on the rich and leaving everyone else to foot the bill doesn't work, and Indiana's about to learn that making laws blatantly in favor of the people who kneel in the same church as you, at everyone else's expense, doesn't work.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    If Southern States want to create brain drains, they are doing a bang up job.
    California sure has some great schools if you think Indiana is a southern state.

Quote Originally Posted by Qraziness View Post
    I just wonder with the whole "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" thing that the USA was founded on isn't it your right to refuse service to anyone for any reason? I see those signs everywhere, i'm pretty sure that's a thing.

Anyway, I pride myself on being able to see both sides of an argument, and I totally get that this is discrimination, which is not right. But freedom of religion is a HUGE thing in this country, and really an important part of many, many peoples lives. Isn't it their right to deny service to those who are openly flaunting their disregard for others religious beliefs? I don't know where you draw the line. You have the right not to have your beliefs disrespected. You have the right to pursue your own form of happiness.

I guess it really comes down to whose beliefs are more in line with popular opinion because in the eyes of the law (or at least what I would assume is the intended purpose of the law) neither person is doing anything wrong according to the law.
    I wasn't aware expecting a baker to bake a cake that I'm willing to pay for without looking down his or her nose at my life and love is "openly flaunting a disregard for religious beliefs".

Quote Originally Posted by Qraziness View Post
    Those signs are.. problematic. For exactly this reason.

Yes, businesses have the right to refuse service.. if the individual is causing a problem or is otherwise unwanted by the store. They do NOT have the right to turn people away for being part of a group that they cannot change (race / religion / sex / origin, for example) if they are a place of public accommodation (all non-membership private business are this). So yes, they can refuse service... but they have to actually have a reason to do so rather than throwing out entire groups because they're "icky".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula Deen View Post
    California sure has some great schools if you think Indiana is a southern state.
    Seriously it's almost like the North can't be racist/ whatever so anything bad that happens must happen in the south.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.