Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How Many Runs did it Take you to Get the Battered Hilt?

How many clears? According to wowhead, the mobs in the Pit of Saron have a 1% chance or so to drop it.

Update:

I've just decided to grind for the hilt again on my warrior (For my pally, I had intended to get the mace which I had designed an entire transmog around - which I discovered to my dismay to be impossible - but quite fortunately, the sword works well with my preexisting warrior transmog!), and it dropped on my second run of Pit of Saron, not 6 minutes into my farm (my runs are all the trash packs on the southern side of the pit that I can rally up in a couple of minutes or less), so it looks like the droprate is indeed 1% for all the mobs. It may be just good RNG, but the commenters on WoWhead, the official forums, and here on this very thread would seem to confirm WoWhead's average of 1% droprate per mob.

TL;DR, if you want the hilt, go run the dungeon for a bit and it WILL drop sooner or later. 1% droprate really adds up when your slaying dozens and dozens of trash per run every few minutes, and you can easily fit them in between raid/BG queues.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2015-04-05 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought it so I really don't know :P

For how much? There's no hilt listed on the Moon Guard AH

I farmed it out in about 3-4 hours of doing the Halls of Reflection reset on the 6-10 wave which has 17 mobs apart of it, afterwards as i was clearing it to get the quest completed i got a second one, so really RNG can be RNG but it doesn't take too long if ya have the patience to go at it.

Why Halls of Reflection? You have to commit to at least 10 minutes per run for those 17 mobs, then wait 5 minutes for the boss to kill your level 100 toon, while with Pit of Saron you can easily round up 60+ mobs in 5 minutes and then just run out and reset, for some 120 mobs in the amount of time you'd do 'Halls.

Bought mine on the BMAH Pretty cheap. Didn't realize farming it was a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    Bought mine on the BMAH Pretty cheap. Didn't realize farming it was a big deal.
    How much was it on the BMAH?

nah, you can run to the center of the room to start the encounter, then run just outside the door. The mobs will still aggro to you allowing you to clear and then due to you being outside the encounter area when the boss comes after you he resets allowing you to do those 17 mobs in about 3-4 mins if that without having to worry about hitting the Instance cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got it the first time I ever entered Forge of Souls back in WotlK on my Mage .

my wife has gotten i think 4 battered hilts .... and i have gone... 0 ... BS RNG i tell ya >:|

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosinciter View Post
    nah, you can run to the center of the room to start the encounter, then run just outside the door. The mobs will still aggro to you allowing you to clear and then due to you being outside the encounter area when the boss comes after you he resets allowing you to do those 17 mobs in about 3-4 mins if that without having to worry about hitting the Instance cap.
    Why would I want to do that, though - 17 trash for 5 minutes in 'Halls- over 60 mobs over 5 minutes in the Pit? Do they have a higher drop rate?

its just the matter that with the method for Pit of Saron it is a bit of a worry of hitting the instance cap (unless they've removed it, haven't seen mention of it otherwise) while with the HoR method you don't have to worry about it allowing you to literally farm it for hours if you want.

So it comes down to the type of person ya are when it comes to farming. Do ya like burst farming and doing like 3-4 runs (which then the Pits run would be better) or when ya start farming are you in it for the long haul, if the latter then the HoR method is better (unless as i've said before the instance cap has been removed) to obtain the item you are after (given the fickle nature of RNG).

Same drop rate across both, its just that you have to remember that with the Pits mobs, all the small skeles do not have a chance to drop it thus bringing the actual mob count close to 30-40. that is unless you are pulling everything from beginning to second boss as my typical method for pits runs would just be to grab the mobs upto Forgemaster, kill those and reset.
    Last edited by Chaosinciter; 2015-04-04 at 04:27 AM.

It was MoP and a while ago but I wanna say 3kish

I actually got mine the first day on my first run. After that they really nerfed the drop rate.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

SACRED @#$%! It just fracking dropped half a minute ago!

- - - Updated - - -

Ran it for 3 and a half hours, Pit of Saron

Grats man lol, talk about good timing eh?

I got it 1st day of new instances and just did the quest, figured it just always dropped.
    Hi Sephurik

Damn it!

I'm a pally, so it will only offer me the sword! But I wanted the mace!

*Cries*

Saw it once but recently bought it for 5k.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just picked it up without even trying :/