Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Is he unique in some way? What has he done so far?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Haters going to hate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rsity/7119531/

The feat is extremely rare, say college counselors — few students even apply to all eight, because each seeks different qualities in their freshman class. Almost none are invited to attend them all. The Ivy League colleges are among the nation's most elite.

"My heart skipped a beat when he told me he was applying to all eight," says Nancy Winkler, a guidance counselor at William Floyd High School, where Enin attends class. In 29 years as a counselor, she says, she's never seen anything like this. "It's a big deal when we have students apply to one or two Ivies. To get into one or two is huge. It was extraordinary."

For most of the eight schools, acceptance comes rarely, even among the USA's top students. At the top end, Cornell University admitted only 14% of applicants. Harvard accepted just 5.9%.

But Enin has "a lot of things in his favor," says college admissions expert Katherine Cohen, CEO and founder of IvyWise, a New York-based consulting firm.
    https://youtu.be/D0yv-nFheug?t=19s

He's only going to one of them, why does it matter that he got accepted into all 8? If he got into Cornell and not Harvard would he be considered mentally retarded?

Oh, he only got into 1 Ivy League school? What a chump! I bet he is going to enjoy flipping burgers.
    Last edited by Waaldo; 2015-04-05 at 11:43 PM.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Good for him? Like what is there to actually discuss. He managed to get into all eight of some of the most prestigious colleges. Cool. Is that really news worthy? I wouldn't even be able to afford to attempt to get into one of them. Just don't see where the discussion is supposed to go / revolve around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    He seems extremely smart, well dressed and well spoken, he will do well no matter what.
    His suit jacket appears to be from Macy's, he will have to consider applying for their in-store credit card.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    An intelligent, hard working individual got accepted into eight of the most prestigious colleges in the world.

Sounds about right. What are we discussing?

Are we to expect some form of outrage about "affirmative action" getting this individual, who seems quite capable on his own merits, into these schools?

Because while I'm sure those people exist and may even exist on this forum, that would really be an intellectually dishonest, obstinate and intentionally self-victimizing argument to make.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    We get it, but what exactly is it that you're trying to discuss here?
    Maybe how he got accepted into all of the brightest schools while only being in the top 2% of his class.
    Racism, racism everywhere.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Maybe how he got accepted into all of the brightest schools while only being in the top 2% of his class.
    Racism, racism everywhere.
    Not sure what you mean. I think he was just lucky to be honest. Top end schools have a metric fuckton of super bright people applying all the time. I am sure there are a couple people with 4.0 GPA's and extraordinary extra curriculars that get rejected.

More power to the kid, but I think this would be equally lucky had some white kid got accepted to all the schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post

More power to the kid, but I think this would be equally lucky had some white kid got accepted to all the schools.
    Lets be real, if he wasn't some immigrant or black, this probably wouldn't have made the news. Sounds bad sure, but atm, those are some of the things the news seems to narrow in on now a days.

10+ Year Old Account
    The opportunity-cost of applying to all 8 Ivies doesnt make sense. Applying to more than 3 or 4 schools just seems to be a waste of time.
    Maybe this feat is more rare for not being hard to achieve. But that most people with intelligence and common-sense dont pursue it.

So congratulations? Seems more like something that's being bragged about. Did he really need to apply to all 8? I applied to 3 (normal universities). Its not like its free to apply. He probably spent $600 on applications, most of which he probably didnt care about.

Good for him, but I dont think I could care any less.

Deleted
    Yeah, but he won't know the joys of drinking treble trebles at some shite former poly and then going to his exams on three hours sleep. So who's the real winner here?

I'd be more impressed if it was a white guy who went to a low quality highschool and had no money

shiiiit... he came to this country at a younger age than i did. dont really get the hype, hes one out of a few hundred million. diamond in the rough. what was the point of the thread again?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Lets be real, if he wasn't some immigrant or black, this probably wouldn't have made the news. Sounds bad sure, but atm, those are some of the things the news seems to narrow in on now a days.
    yep, another day for an asian family

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always wondered why some immigrant groups do extremely well and some do poorly. Insecurity, a sense of superiority and impulse control is what one article said. Why do Cubans do better than Mexicans?
    Let's not forget both groups come from different backgrounds. Many Mexicans who cross the border come because they want to provide for their families since their economic situation in Mexico is pretty dire. Cubans immigrants on the other hand came from the educated middle and upper classes seeking to escape communism.

Also the US is more friendly to Cuban immigrants and so they can have more resources at their disposal.
    Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Are we to expect some form of outrage about "affirmative action" getting this individual, who seems quite capable on his own merits, into these schools?

Because while I'm sure those people exist and may even exist on this forum, that would really be an intellectually dishonest, obstinate and intentionally self-victimizing argument to make.
    and comes from left field - cause nobody even thinks that

even the racist white people like this kid.

- - - Updated - - -

I've always wondered why some immigrant groups do extremely well and some do poorly. Insecurity, a sense of superiority and impulse control is what one article said. Why do Cubans do better than Mexicans?
    never knew they were better... other than baseball pitchers i dont see either being in a better position.

Deleted
    What a racist post. Just because his black he can't be smart?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good job to him! May he not waste his education on art!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    shiiiit... he came to this country at a younger age than i did. dont really get the hype, hes one out of a few hundred million. diamond in the rough. what was the point of the thread again?

- - - Updated - - -

yep, another day for an asian family

That Element that will never change, and why racism and racist should never be taken seriously about anything.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis