Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I am using asians as an example in this, because it has been PROVEN that they need higher test scores, even with extra curriculars, to get into the same schools as other races.
    White people with lower scores than higher scoring Asians are let in over Asians. Assuming this is true, how do you feel about this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    White people with lower scores than higher scoring Asians are let in over Asians. Assuming this is true, how do you feel about this?
    You should already know how I feel about that, based on what I have said in this thread.

I said remove the "Check your race" box from the applications, and only take people based on merit, both academically and extra curriculars. No race should come into play, period.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Its generally the same people who see nothing wrong with women just happening to never be CEOs.
    Honestly though what is wrong with that? You're pushing your view of life on others. There is nothing wrong if women choose not to become CEOs. They don't have to become CEOs, just like they don't have to become housewives.

As we carefully and respectfully review every application, two questions guide our admissions team: “Who is likely to make the most of Yale’s resources?” and “Who will contribute most significantly to the Yale community?”

We estimate that over three quarters of the students who apply for admission to Yale are qualified to do the work here. Between two and three hundred students in any year are so strong academically that their admission is scarcely ever in doubt. But here is the thing to know: the great majority of students who are admitted stand out from the rest because a lot of little things, when added up, tip the scale in their favor. So what matters most in your application? Ultimately, everything matters. The good news in that is that when so many little things figure into an admissions decision, it is fruitless to worry too much about any one of them.

Our advice is to pursue what you love and tell us about that. Be yourself. Ask the teachers who really know you to recommend you. Apply and relax.
    Here are a few tips that we hope will help you present yourself as the outstanding person you no doubt are. We wish you all the best and look forward to reading your application.

Academic Ability Yale is above all an academic institution. This means academic strength is our first consideration in evaluating any candidate. The single most important document in your application is your high school transcript, which tells us a great deal about your academic drive and performance over time. We look for students who have consistently taken a broad range of challenging courses in high school and done well. Your high school teachers can provide extremely helpful information in their evaluations. Not only do they discuss your performance in their particular class or classes, but often they write about such things as your intellectual curiosity, energy, relationships with classmates, and impact on the classroom environment. Obviously it is important to ask for recommendations from teachers who know you well.

No Score CutoffsThere are no score cutoffs for standardized tests, and successful candidates present a wide range of test results. During the most recent year, test score ranges (25th to 75th percentiles) for enrolled freshman were:
    SAT-Verbal: 710-800
    SAT-Math: 710-790
    SAT-Writing: 720-800
    ACT: 32-35
    While there is no hard and fast rule, it is safe to say that performance in school is more important than testing. A very strong performance in a demanding college preparatory program may compensate for modest standardized test scores, but it is unlikely that high standardized test scores will persuade the admissions committee to disregard an undistinguished secondary-school record.
    Last edited by Independent voter; 2015-04-06 at 03:46 AM.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You should already know how I feel about that, based on what I have said in this thread.

I said remove the "Check your race" box from the applications, and only take people based on merit, both academically and extra curriculars. No race should come into play, period.
    You don't see how cultural diversity is important? My my...

10+ Year Old Account

US Universities, right?
    Race plays no role there..... Unless green is a race now...
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account

What about last names or sports statistics?

By last name I mean Bush or Clinton
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    And that isn't what I said. Are you attempting to say that you think the only people getting in would be one race if race were completely removed? That is a pretty damn offensive thing to say.

I think many, many people of different races would still get into ivy league schools if they removed the race box. Don't you?
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Racial quotas were banned decades back. Unless you've got evidence to back the claim that a school is still using one, I'm going to assume they aren't.
    You're saying there is no institutional racism against white admittance in these schools because of lack of express or codified evidence?

If your willing to apply that same logic to institutional racism in law enforcement, than I'm fine with that line of thinking. If you're not, you are just racially biased.
    Last edited by Sledfang; 2015-04-06 at 03:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post

By last name I mean Bush or Clinton
    "Legacy" applications are kind of silly as well. Getting in based on family name is goofy, if they apply any positive modifier to that. Sports is an interesting and complicated thing, because schools have specific slots for sports people, based on a number of sports scholarships that I am reasonably sure they *HAVE* to give out.
    You're a towel.

And that isn't what I said. Are you attempting to say that you think the only people getting in would be one race if race were completely removed? That is a pretty damn offensive thing to say.

I think many, many people of different races would still get into ivy league schools if they removed the race box. Don't you?
    Keep your feigned shock please, and thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sledfang View Post
    Your saying there is no institutional racism against white admittance in these schools because of lack of express or codified evidence?

If your willing to apply that same logic to institutional racism in law enforcement, than I'm fine with that line of thinking. If your not, you are just racially biased.
    Institutionalized racism against whites! Really?

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep your feigned shock please, and thank you.
    So you have no response to that at all? You clearly said that you think schools couldn't be diverse if they did not specify race; therefore, you think that some races wouldn't cut it based on actual merit; I think they would.
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No more so than in the earlier example of hiring someone to play MLK in a movie, and giving preference to the black actor over the Chinese girl.

Acknowledging race and its relevance is not automatically racist. Racism involves arguing that certain racial groups are "better" than others. In the case of admissions, this is not happening; the decision in based on the diversity of the school's student body, not some inherent value in certain ethnic groups over others.

For instance, people generally don't consider the historically-black colleges in these considerations. They have the same policies, and those policies generally preferentially select for non-black students, given their student bodies' diversity. Because it isn't based on the specific ethnic groups and any supposed absolute "value" to them, it's based on the diversity of the student body at that particular school. Which isn't a constant.
    Not really. The movie example is flawed because you're not going to university to be a black person. MLK was black, therefore an actor portraying him needs to be black if they want to be historically accurate.

You keep saying acknowledging, but isn't the core issue being debated about actually accepting someone into school? Are you equating the two?

Would you say that a restaurant that only serves whites is racist? I would, and I don't see why you wouldn't. They aren't explicitly saying one race is better, just that they prefer those types of people in their restaurant.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be your argument for cultural diversity in general?

When one needs to argue for diversity we know we've sunk quite low. I'm too tired for this foolish shit tonight lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Legacy" applications are kind of silly as well. Getting in based on family name is goofy, if they apply any positive modifier to that. Sports is an interesting and complicated thing, because schools have specific slots for sports people, based on a number of sports scholarships that I am reasonably sure they *HAVE* to give out.
    The point is you aren't arguing about them you are going after race which has been explained why it matters affirmative action is no more racist than any other considerations.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

When one needs to argue for diversity we know we've sunk quite low. I'm too tired for this foolish shit tonight lol.
    I'm just curious. I was brought up to believe implicitly that diversity is good, but I never really thought critically about it and I'm curious what the arguments for it are like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except you are the one saying there would be no diversity if it is not forced, assuming all applications are based only on merit, completely blind to race.

What races do you think aren't good enough to make it in? Because that is what you are saying with that comment...
    You're a towel.

The point is you aren't arguing about them you are going after race which has been explained why it matters affirmative action is no more racist than any other considerations.
    It is after all what the discussion is about right now. How is AA just as racist as using sports to get in?

10+ Year Old Account
    Names....... are tricky in these days and times

Let's play that name game for a moment....

1. Mesut Özil
    2. Sami Khedira
    3. Kevin Prince Boateng
    4. Jérôme Agyenim Boateng
    5. Mario Gómez
    6. Walter Giesler

How many of those names are Germans.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not arguing about legacy applications or sports scholarships because they have NOTHING to do with this thread.

Its been explained why "Affirmative action" isn't racist in this thread? News to me...considering all I've seen people say is "Its fine to penalize asians for being asian"
    You're a towel.