Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The Straight Edge scene

Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't be promiscuous. It all sounds like being a model citizen to me if you just add, "always hold the door open and drive slow". I'm not ragging on these guys too hard because kudos for them being able to be sober but I don't exactly understand how it's "punk" if everyone was straight-edge then the war on drugs would be a critical success.

Are you straight edge? Do you consider it punk? If so, could you explain to me how it's fighting the establishment or if I'm understanding it wrong?
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2015-04-06 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't heard that term in a while. Usually, at least around here, I hear "edgy" lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The base roots of the straight edge scene aren't too bad at their face value, like most fringe groups, it's ruined by the extremists in the group. I know in Boston...20 years ago? There was a pretty violent group of straight edge folks.

EDIT: There they are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends_Stand_United
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard of it. The guys I know doing it are stupidly racist against our President, so cant say my view is actually favorable, but Im willing to accept that thats a small minority of the SE crowd. The ones I know are also really into the music scene, so that may make up for the lack of "fun".

I don't do drugs, and I only drank once, do I count?

That being said, I don't consider it punk honestly, but it does seem like the punks that like to brag about it, possibly because they want a better image? I don't know.

I am, though I do have a dislike for the certain groups that like to push it on everyone and have a holier than thou attitude about it.

The punk bit is because it got a growing following as a counter and subculture to the "sex revolution" that basically took over the punk scene where the scene and much of the music became associated with, "encouraged," and was about sex and drug/alcohol usage. The term is even named after a Minor Threat song.

edited some for further clarification
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2015-04-06 at 05:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    The base roots of the straight edge scene aren't too bad at their face value, like most fringe groups, it's ruined by the extremists in the group. I know in Boston...20 years ago? There was a pretty violent group of straight edge folks
    Yeah, the extremists ones seem really eager to get in a scrap because their utopia is apparently a world without drugs and sex outside of love.

But I'm still not seeing how it's punk because it fits the government narrative so perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The punk bit is because it got a growing following as a counter and subculture to the "sex revolution" that basically took over the punk scene. The term is even named after a Minor Threat song.
    So it's just a bit outdated now?

I probably fit in this category. It's just a personal choice of lifestyle, nothing more.
    Guess on a micro scale "straight edge" subculture may affect the sales of drugs/alcohol, very insignificantly.

As a side anecdote, I knew a guy who claimed to be "straight edge" and bragged about it a lot. He got arrested for drunk driving shortly after...
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Yeah, the extremists ones seem really eager to get in a scrap because their utopia is apparently a world without drugs and sex outside of love.

But I'm still not seeing how it's punk because it fits the government narrative so perfectly.

- - - Updated - - -

So it's just a bit outdated now?
    Edited in some more details but somewhat. A lot of punk rock still continues the "sex revolution" trend and themes so the straight edge scene still has a bit of a place in that regard. Some people just take it too far, like any other personal belief system.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2015-04-06 at 05:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

By your definition seems like a fine way of life. It does seem that these days it's all about being edgy and pushing things to the limit (the yuppies are an extreme end of this, always clinging to the latest top 40s hit, needing the best hair cut, the most 'in' clothes, etc...), to the point that it's mindless and boring and dull - which makes a life of strength and self-control and fidelity much more 'edgy' by contrast (a much harder life also). Certainly looks as though being promiscuous is almost normal, at least not a big deal to people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope not straight edge and that's a personal choice. But sound like some pretty good people.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Edited in some more details but somewhat. A lot of punk rock still continues the "sex revolution" trend and themes so the straight edge scene still has a bit of a place in that regard. Some people just take it too far, like any other personal belief system.
    It makes a lot more sense now because I barely took into any consideration of the time the whole thing came from.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't do drugs besides prescribed. Don't drink because I'm genetically predisposed to alcoholics and I'm not having sex all the time cause I'm not brad Pitt lol.

I'm far from perfect not a fan of punk music. But I admire the movement and think as long as it's not an excuse to hurt others it's good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I don't do drugs besides prescribed. Don't drink because I'm genetically predisposed to alcoholics and I'm not having sex all the time cause I'm not brad Pitt lol.

I'm far from perfect not a fan of punk music. But I admire the movement and think as long as it's not an excuse to hurt others it's good.
    You all can go around a table, drink tea, and talk about gray's anatomy.

10+ Year Old Account
    You basically described me to a T, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be called "Straight Edge" scene..
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    You all can go around a table, drink tea, and talk about gray's anatomy.
    My life is not consistent with their core values.

Only straight edgers I've came across have never been able to stay at it for more than a year or two. It was really big among some pop-punk bands (and naturally their fans) recently but I wouldn't consider it punk... Then again, the ones I've come across were a lot younger than anyone who would have been involved in the original movement, which seems to have originated within the punk movement as a response to rampant alcohol and drug use.

I'd assume they consider it "fighting the establishment" because they buy into the idea that society is consumed by decadence/hedonism and that drugs, alcohol and promiscuity are the socially accepted status quo. The few I've come across have been extremely zealous and sanctimonious. It's all rather strange to me that someone would want to make drugs and alcohol such a fundamental part of who they are, even if they're opposed to them.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2015-04-06 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    My life is not consistent with their core values.
    I thought abstaining is their core value.

10+ Year Old Account
    Punk as music genre is dead... Like really dead....

CM Punk quit WWE and went to UFC..... The Straight Edge movement lost it's icon from that angle.

Conclusive there's no straight edge scene.. Never seen it, never experienced it.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought abstaining is their core value.
    Yeah but I do prescriptions, I'm not having sex often because I don't have Brad Pitts options. I don't drink because I don't want to be addicted. Not because of a movement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Punk as music genre is dead... Like really dead....

CM Punk quit WWE and went to UFC..... The Straight Edge movement lost it's icon from that angle.

Conclusive there's no straight edge scene.. Never seen it, never experienced it.
    Pretty much this. And doing something because others do it is a bad idea.