Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question LF Advice: Solo PvPer Class

Recently I've gotten back into PvP and I'm really enjoying it. I took my feral druid up and got him decently geared. And now I want to do another class. But I'm having issues figuring out which class I want to take. Here's the details:

• I don't do arenas (I may in the future, but assume for now I never will).
    • I generally solo que for random BGs.
    • I do some Ashran but only while waiting in que mostly.
    • No Hunters. (Don't like their playstyle).
    • Not a huge fan of healing, but I'm not against it.
    • I generally enjoy frustrating my opponent and playing the mental side of the game.

I've played a rogue in the past but lately I'm not sure they are going to fit the bill. I could however be persuaded.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to the next PvP class for me to pick up and play (minus hunters), please let me know!! I've been struggling with this decision for days and I can't seem to decide.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    You will see a lot of Hunter recommendations. Many will claim warriors as well, though they seem to forget that warriors are nearly useless without a healer dispelling snares for them. Given your criteria and todays state of the game, i would recommend a Frost DK. You already have a feral which is the other dominant solo class besides the hunter.

The DKs rune system takes some getting used to though. But its not difficult to manage.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2015-04-06 at 02:03 PM.

Here's my suggestion - and I don't mean to be a smart-ass, it's a genuine suggestion - if you want to mostly play BGs (eg, you say you might not play arenas ever, and the so called "wPVP" isn't even PVP), the most important thing is not what class or role you are, the most important thing is to play with a group of 5. These don't have to be friends, you can draft fine from group finder / trade, but it's important that you do. Don't queue solo.

With that out of the picture, I'd suggest a class that can either dps or heal - any healer would do. It's just very useful to be able to switch to heals / dps according to what your group needs, and it's fun playing both roles, too (gearing both roles is not a big drag these days - used to be a bother, but no more). Eg, pick a druid, go moonkin, switch to resto as needed. Or pick a paladin, go ret, switch to holy. Don't pick a class that can only DPS - that's my advice.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I forgot to mention, if you want to be frustrating: Look no further than Resto Druid. If you are good, you are all but untouchable in an uncoordinated BG environment. Everyone wants you to die, but nobody can pin you down without coordinated CC. They just watch and whine while you shift out of everything and run off to continue healing. The only times you die are when you get swarmed. And thats usually a L2P issue or because you got cocky. Which does tend to happen with Rdruids.

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    I forgot to mention, if you want to be frustrating: Look no further than Resto Druid. If you are good, you are all but untouchable in an uncoordinated BG environment. Everyone wants you to die, but nobody can pin you down without coordinated CC. They just watch and whine while you shift out of everything and run off to continue healing. The only times you die are when you get swarmed. And thats usually a L2P issue or because you got cocky. Which does tend to happen with Rdruids.
    ^^
    10chars

^^
    ^^

I see you don't want to play a healer, but I see you want to play a "mental" kind of game with your opponent or otherwise toy around.

Continue playing your feral, and maybe go boomy, I (warrior) personally hate boomkins.

Frost Dk is cool because you have a lot of survivability. Low mobility tho if youre fine with that.
    Rogue is nice because as long as you save some cds you can always get away from a fight if you dont want to die. You can be that asshole and go 15-0 in battlegrounds or higher.
    Resto druids are beyond good right now. All healers in general are good in random bgs. Healers are designed around living against 2 coordinated dps on them with occasional peels from friends. Thats 3v3. In randoms you could have 5 dpsers on you but they wont be coordinated. They will stun you are random time, all waste their interrupt on the same cast, and when 3 charge over to you there will be a DK to grip you back away from them. Randoms are so easy to do well in as a healer and you will change the outcome of the fight more easily then a dps can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Huntard >> warrior, feral, dk, rogue >> the rest

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Randoms are so easy to do well in as a healer and you will change the outcome of the fight more easily then a dps can.
    Well, it depends on how good your team mates are. It isn't that Healers carry the whole team to victory, far from it actually. If your team suck, you can heal your ass off and still lose.

The thing with Healing is you work only with what is in front of you, you can't make things happen alone most of the time. You can't wipe opponents from the base when you need to take it or you can't actually keep Silvershard Cart or EotS base for your team if you are outnumbered. There are many situations where you feel frustrated as a Healer if your team doesn't do what they are supposed to do.

Healing is amplification of your team's performance. The better your team is, the bigger impact you as a Healer make.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostblade01 View Post
    I've played a rogue in the past but lately I'm not sure they are going to fit the bill. I could however be persuaded.
    I would go for Rogue if you don't to play Hunter.

• They can reset fight, allowing them to move quickly around the battleground
    • Excellent at killing Healers, can actually solo mediocre Healers
    • A lot of harrasing tools, the mental games you want, people get crazy if they see someone sapped

agree with rogue or feral if hunter isnt an option.

and warriors are absolutely one of the worst solo classes. worst healing in the game and extremely dependent on healer support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windwalker Monk if you truly don't care about doing arena in the future. They're extremely slippery and the last time I played they did decent-ish damage and had pretty decent survivability in random BGs. Put your portal somewhere save, hop into a fight, pop CDs and kill someone. If in danger you have 2 trinkets and can port away/roll/flying serpent kick away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostblade01 View Post
    • I don't do arenas (I may in the future, but assume for now I never will).
    • I generally solo que for random BGs.
    • I do some Ashran but only while waiting in que mostly.
    • No Hunters. (Don't like their playstyle).
    • Not a huge fan of healing, but I'm not against it.
    • I generally enjoy frustrating my opponent and playing the mental side of the game.
    My advice is: reverse one or all of these decisions.

Failing that, I dunno, Blood DK? Pretty fucking frustrating. Maybe Feral?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death Siphon spamming Unholy DK's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Death Siphon spamming Unholy DK's.
    Does death siphon heal/damage for a meaningful amount for unholy? cos it seems a total waste of time on my blood dk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes its really good. All you lose by using Death Siphon is Scourge Strike. And since Scourge Strike is the worst ability in the game, its not a huge loss.

Rogue hands down. It is in a tier of its own when it comes to soloqueueing random BGs. You pick whatever fight suits you, and when things get sticky you just vanish. It really is that simple and effective. Of course I suppose there is a bit of skill and awareness required since I see many many rogues randomly blow vanish for a tiny bit of damage and then go splat, but good rogues die very, very rarely while getting a lot of KBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Rogue hands down. It is in a tier of its own when it comes to soloqueueing random BGs. You pick whatever fight suits you, and when things get sticky you just vanish. It really is that simple and effective. Of course I suppose there is a bit of skill and awareness required since I see many many rogues randomly blow vanish for a tiny bit of damage and then go splat, but good rogues die very, very rarely while getting a lot of KBs.
    Definitly agree with rogue. Aside from being able to ninjacap bases very well, you bring loads off CC, smokebomb can just allow you to shit on an FC, great at bombing doors in SotA, can semi tank the 40 man bosses for a while if you plan on doing those,...

Hunter and afaik mage perform very well also. Whenever I do BGs on my hunter I can fool almost everyone into target swapping with a feign death or kite enemies to my team to prevent death etc. Haven't played mage in WoD but they used to be very solid.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really appreciate everyones feedback. And I didn't realize these kinds of threads were forbidden. I was simply looking for some outside expertise to help me narrow down my next "project" (heh).

Seriously some great information here. I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.

So far I've been wavering between DK and Mage. Hunters are still out of the question as I don't have one rolled at ALL let alone max level and I'm not so well off that I can afford to drop $60 on a class I may never play. And I just don't have the time to level one (time also being the major factor in why I PvP more than I raid).

So here's my observations via research and watching other's PvP:

Frost DK: From what I can tell, they are a gorilla burst machine. Weak to CC but can still mess you up if they get close and stay there. (I like burst)

Arms W: Slightly less burst that FDK but far more mobile. More equipped to deal with healers, playstyle tends to favor arenas. (Also like this, but tank on warrior for guild, slight burn out)

Mage: Since 6.1 patch, back to glass cannon mode. Skilled play can make them VERY powerful and somewhat tough to kill. (Again, burst, yay! Though not sure I would ever be able to reach the level of play to full take advantage of a mage's true power).

Rogue: After a lot of you have suggested this, I started reading up on them. It looks like, right now, combat is the way to go. I am an old school Sub guy (WotLK - MoP). I always enjoyed coming from the shadows and putting a massive hurting on someone (though not outright killing them unless they were of lower gear/level). Something about instilling panic in an enemy, especially an unaware one, has always brought a smile to my face (I'm weird I know). Having seen how combat is played, it just feels like a warrior or DK. If I chose a rogue would I still be able to pop out from the shadows and strike fear? Or any more is it just "Oh look at the rogue... how cute..."?

As far as healers go, I'm working on a healing set on my druid with the spare honor I get and I am considering continuing on with my priest.

Again thank you everyone.

(mods please don't delete, this has been super helpful for me as a returning pvper to get the lay of the land)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a mage, you will get absolutely shit on by even mediocre hunters. Your counter-class happens to be one of the most popular in the game. Its not pretty. But frost mages are still the bane of most melee (second only to SV hunters).

Personally, as a healer, i do not consider Rogues to be much of a threat anymore. Though i will say that smokebomb is annoying.

And for what its worth, priests are in bad shape in pvp right now. The loss of mobility really hurt them. Aside from its bubbles, Disc cant actually heal for shit. And Holy boils down to using halo on CD to fish for instant Flash Heal procs and spamming a weak ass bubble in between Prayer of Mending casts. Holy can be fun to play, but dont expect to be able to compete with competent Rshamans and Rdruids in a PVP environment. Priests are still pretty tanky though if they are recieving heals from an outside source. They make great bait classes. With the trinket bonus and their passives, they are taking a flat 45% less dmg before considering versa stats, they just wont be able to heal themselves due to the lack of instants.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2015-04-07 at 02:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    As a mage, you will get absolutely shit on by even mediocre hunters. Your counter-class happens to be one of the most popular in the game. Its not pretty. But frost mages are still the bane of most melee (second only to SV hunters).

Personally, as a healer, i do not consider Rogues to be much of a threat anymore. Though i will say that smokebomb is annoying.

And for what its worth, priests are in bad shape in pvp right now. The loss of mobility really hurt them. Aside from its bubbles, Disc cant actually heal for shit. And Holy boils down to using halo on CD to fish for instant Flash Heal procs and spamming a weak ass bubble in between Prayer of Mending casts. Holy can be fun to play, but dont expect to be able to compete with competent Rshamans and Rdruids in a PVP environment. Priests are still pretty tanky though if they are recieving heals from an outside source. They make great bait classes. With the trinket bonus and their passives, they are taking a flat 45% less dmg before considering versa stats, they just wont be able to heal themselves due to the lack of instants.

So are you recommending DK/W? Or something else entirely?