Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Guilds have hard recruiting players, people quit because of this. Why?

There are so many people that have hard time recruiting people to their Guilds. I know a person who has 7/10 mythic and can't even get people to join the guild he is running. The guild I am in have hard time getting people too and we are about to start mythic. We have no merits to show other that '' hey we are a good guild'', but we really are. old raiders that came back to MoP release and tried to make an own Guild. Impossible..

One in the Guild have 5 friends who quit WoW because their guild disbanded and they just cannot find another Guild to join. The problem seem to be from both directions.. People can't get people to join but others can't get people to apply. I have played WoW since WOTLK and I've never really seen this problem before.

Why does it feel like the problem begun now in MoP? People in the Guild are even talking about leaving WoW because they just can't start to go mythic because of the roster that isn't filled.

The answer may become clear in one month, when the Q1 sub numbers are released.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The answer may become clear in one month, when the Q1 sub numbers are released.
    That's certainly possible, but I think the theory that subs are down leading to recruitment problems is ... probably not accurate, simply by looking at the player counts in Stormwind / Org on various realms. The most they could show is that realm merging wasn't pushed hard enough yet.

Recruiting problems usually boil down to the same thing: players try to join a guild that is further progressed than they are because they want to progress further than their current guild, and guilds try to recruit people who are at least as progressed as the guild is because they don't want to train someone new.

Try lowering your criteria, and see if that opens up more options for you.

Deleted
    I am no Grim Batol Alliance. I've been told that is one of the highest Alliance pop servers (?). Also, you think LFR is ruining it ? Maybe not for the casual players, that part is great, but maybe people feel like pugging 8,9/10 is enough for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Iamcute View Post
    There are so many people that have hard time recruiting people to their Guilds. I know a person who has 7/10 mythic and can't even get people to join the guild he is running. The guild I am in have hard time getting people too and we are about to start mythic. We have no merits to show other that '' hey we are a good guild'', but we really are. old raiders that came back to MoP release and tried to make an own Guild. Impossible..

One in the Guild have 5 friends who quit WoW because their guild disbanded and they just cannot find another Guild to join. The problem seem to be from both directions.. People can't get people to join but others can't get people to apply. I have played WoW since WOTLK and I've never really seen this problem before.

Why does it feel like the problem begun now in MoP? People in the Guild are even talking about leaving WoW because they just can't start to go mythic because of the roster that isn't filled.
    Half the problem is that the move from 10H to 20M means there are roughly twice as many "mythic" guilds as there should be, and many of them are holding out so that they are the "winner" in the merges, rather than joining another guild. This is still ongoing from the size change. (Compare: 40=>25 raiding change, and how long that rippled for.)

The other half is the exact same mistakes you made in the first paragraph.

You opened with "a 7/10 mythic guild" that can't recruit. That is pretty much useless -- are they looking for 7/10 people, or people who want progression? Are they asking for 690s to join? Are they raiding PST compatible times, and EST compatible times? Are alts in or out of guild? So many things that are unsaid in that -- just progression is literally not even close to enough to figure things out.

You also leave the space open to wondering if the problem is something else. Is it maybe that they are not reaching the people who care, because all they do is spam in /2 a bit? Are they having problems because people show up, find out they are an awful environment to raid in? Are they over-promising to people and failing to deliver?

Likewise, you: you made a new "good" guild. That's great, and all, but ... what do you offer that any other random guild doesn't? Good people? I can meet them in pretty much any guild. Raiders have been there for ever? No problem finding that. Aiming for progression? No problem.

Really, the only unique thing about your guild is that *you* are in charge, with your friends. Which is great for you, but that buys me literally nothing, at all, that I couldn't just get in some random other guild run by a group of friends who quite for a while and just came back.

So, yeah, this "must have *MY* guild" mentality is half the problem. You shoulda joined the existing 7/10 mythic guild, bam, problems solved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Half the problem is that the move from 10H to 20M means there are roughly twice as many "mythic" guilds as there should be, and many of them are holding out so that they are the "winner" in the merges, rather than joining another guild. This is still ongoing from the size change. (Compare: 40=>25 raiding change, and how long that rippled for.)

The other half is the exact same mistakes you made in the first paragraph.

You opened with "a 7/10 mythic guild" that can't recruit. That is pretty much useless -- are they looking for 7/10 people, or people who want progression? Are they asking for 690s to join? Are they raiding PST compatible times, and EST compatible times? Are alts in or out of guild? So many things that are unsaid in that -- just progression is literally not even close to enough to figure things out.

You also leave the space open to wondering if the problem is something else. Is it maybe that they are not reaching the people who care, because all they do is spam in /2 a bit? Are they having problems because people show up, find out they are an awful environment to raid in? Are they over-promising to people and failing to deliver?

Likewise, you: you made a new "good" guild. That's great, and all, but ... what do you offer that any other random guild doesn't? Good people? I can meet them in pretty much any guild. Raiders have been there for ever? No problem finding that. Aiming for progression? No problem.

Really, the only unique thing about your guild is that *you* are in charge, with your friends. Which is great for you, but that buys me literally nothing, at all, that I couldn't just get in some random other guild run by a group of friends who quite for a while and just came back.

So, yeah, this "must have *MY* guild" mentality is half the problem. You shoulda joined the existing 7/10 mythic guild, bam, problems solved.

I see your problem but I am not only talking about the guild i am in. it seems like many guilds has this problem. why we just dont join another guild is mainly because we have our tanks, 2 healers and dpsers that all would not fit in a already existing guild. sure that is a problem, but if we see on the other part that other guilds also have this problem. would you say it is because guilds today try to have high standard?

15+ Year Old Account
    What are your requirements for recruiting?

Maybe they are too steep, most raiders dont want to have to apply and go through the drama just to raid Mythic when they can do pugs and not have the hassle.

That and maybe WoD is just a bad xpac. Everyone I played with at launch has quit. Other than raiding, there is nothing to do. I wont go into the reasons wod is a terrible xpac, thats been done a hundred times over the last month. It seems like only casuals are playing, and they don't want to do Mythic.

I think everyone will be surprised when the quarterly numbers come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    You opened with "a 7/10 mythic guild" that can't recruit. That is pretty much useless -- are they looking for 7/10 people, or people who want progression?
    When you see X/X in reference to a raid tier, know that the person is referring to how many bosses in that tier have been killed thus far by the guild. So the person means that particular guild has killed 7 of the 10 BRF bosses on Mythic difficulty.

That said, yes, there are too many small guilds still who are failing to make the transition to 20 man teams. They are short on DPS for reasons I've explained in other posts on MMOC. There are actually too many tanks - 2 tanks per guild at the Heroic level, carrying 5 dps and 3 heals. Then suddenly they want to do Mythic, and they need to recruit 2-3 more healers and 6-7 more dps. T'ain't easily done. But because guilds are for the most part able to hang on to their 2 tanks and 3 healers, they just keep flogging away at Trade looking for more ranged DPS.

A good many players appear to be content going no further than the Heroic level. There's certainly no backlog of people wanting to jump up to the Mythic tier, or these guilds wouldn't be constantly begging/spamming for members.

At some point late in the xpac there are going to be real and valid questions about design resources being spent on Mythic encounters that less than 1% of players even attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Other than raiding, there is nothing to do...It seems like only casuals are playing, and they don't want to do Mythic.
    These two points are kind of in contradiction. If all there is to do is raid, what are the casuals doing exactly?

I agree WoD has been a shit expansion outside of raids, but for raiding so far it has been great. I've actually been loving it. I only need to play 2-3 nights per week and can spend more time on other hobbies, family, etc. because I don't have a million little WoW chores to take care of every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by goblingirl View Post
    When you see X/X in reference to a raid tier, know that the person is referring to how many bosses in that tier have been killed thus far by the guild. So the person means that particular guild has killed 7 of the 10 BRF bosses on Mythic difficulty.
    That's not what OP said. He said the leader "has 7/10 Mythic." Don't think he was referring to the guild.

Likely scenario is the leader was booted from a progression guild and thought his 7/10M would be enough cred to make his own guild and now he's finding that to not be the case...

Look at the recruitment forums on the EU side. People with 7/10M are asking people with 7/8-10HC to join. It seems pretty dire atm.

That said, yes, there are too many small guilds still who are failing to make the transition to 20 man teams. They are short on DPS for reasons I've explained in other posts on MMOC. There are actually too many tanks - 2 tanks per guild at the Heroic level, carrying 5 dps and 3 heals. Then suddenly they want to do Mythic, and they need to recruit 2-3 more healers and 6-7 more dps. T'ain't easily done. But because guilds are for the most part able to hang on to their 2 tanks and 3 healers, they just keep flogging away at Trade looking for more ranged DPS.

A good many players appear to be content going no further than the Heroic level. There's certainly no backlog of people wanting to jump up to the Mythic tier, or these guilds wouldn't be constantly begging/spamming for members.

At some point late in the xpac there are going to be real and valid questions about design resources being spent on Mythic encounters that less than 1% of players even attempt.
    the problem being that we're spoiled in being able to do flex N/H, but need to hit 20 players on the nose to move up to Mythic, which means you're either benching or recruiting, and likely will be in a constant swing of doing both if only due to attrition amongst raiders.

Maybe people are tired of paying $15 a month to run a raid-or-die gear treadmill game? Maybe there is a ton of competition from better, more innovative games that are more than a raid/skinner box? Maybe it's all of the above, and it's spring? Maybe WoD was the WoW killer we've all been waiting for?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    These two points are kind of in contradiction. If all there is to do is raid, what are the casuals doing exactly?

I agree WoD has been a shit expansion outside of raids, but for raiding so far it has been great. I've actually been loving it. I only need to play 2-3 nights per week and can spend more time on other hobbies, family, etc. because I don't have a million little WoW chores to take care of every day.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what OP said. He said the leader "has 7/10 Mythic." Don't think he was referring to the guild.

Likely scenario is the leader was booted from a progression guild and thought his 7/10M would be enough cred to make his own guild and now he's finding that to not be the case...
    Nah what I meant is that a guildie have a friend who runs a guild with 7/10 mythic and have hard time to get people. maybe their recruitment are just too high

You misunderstand my point: I know that means the guild has 7/10 down. The question is what do they *expect* from recruits? 1/10M? 7/10M Somewhere between?

It's great that you have already cleared 7/10M with you, presumably, now ex-guildies, but should I apply if I am going to need to learn, or are you just gonna out-of-hand reject me until I get 7/10 myself?

Is that clearer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by iriecolorado View Post
    Maybe people are tired of paying $15 a month to run a raid-or-die gear treadmill game? Maybe there is a ton of competition from better, more innovative games that are more than a raid/skinner box? Maybe it's all of the above, and it's spring? Maybe WoD was the WoW killer we've all been waiting for?
    It could be, but we still have an active population somewhere north of seven million players across all regions, even allowing for *huge* drops from the peak. I suspect that the problem is a demand-side issue (too many guilds) rather than a supply-side issue (not enough players, full stop) here.

...or, at the very least, that it isn't a *raw* supply of players issue, so much as a supply of "interested in mythic" players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah what I meant is that a guildie have a friend who runs a guild with 7/10 mythic and have hard time to get people. maybe their recruitment are just too high
    I thought that was what you meant. His guild (which he runs) is 7/10 Mythic BRF.

I doubt their recruitment is too high - it's flat out hard for anyone to add Mythic level roster right now. Mythic's not very attractive to a lot of us. So much time-sink for a few ilevels that will be replaced in a couple of months when the next tier rolls around.

The best that these Mythic guilds could hope for would be to combine with other partial-roster Mythic guilds, but the problem is, they'd have to drop tanks in almost every case, whereas the combined DPS and heals from the two old guilds would probably make close to the right numbers. Those extra tanks would have to switch to dps/heals or sit out.

But then there's the whole issue of who gets to stay GM and own the guild banks which is where a lot of this is coming from, people wanting to hang onto control of their guilds are not willing to merge.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sub numbers are plummeting. People want things other than raids to do. This expansion is burning people out in record time since it's Raid or Die. I wouldn't be surprised that guilds are having a hard time fielding people for 10m normal or heroic right now. Mythic is something a lot of people can't be arsed to work towards. If nothing else, I think Blizzard is trying to kill raiding. They peeled back all other content and gave you nothing but raids as worthwhile content. I really am curious wtf is going on in the heads of Blizz devs to get WoW to the state that it's in.

My guild quit because of that, we just can't find 20 good player. I'm playing FFXIV til blizzard starts making other things and not just raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Look at the recruitment forums on the EU side. People with 7/10M are asking people with 7/8-10HC to join. It seems pretty dire atm.
    Before I left I had a few people trying to chat me into their raid teams, even after inspecting me on what were not raid ready characters. Not even deterred by my telling them I've never played melee or healed in a raid. I felt bad declining because chances like that may never come around again, but I just can't WoD.

Deleted
    Noticed the same, I have friends in two guilds who are desperate enough that they outright offer carries to people they know and to help equip chars just if these people are willing to fill the raid rooster. A lot of people left and many others apparently feel like me i.e they have no interest in going there.