Updated from the previous thread, new motherboard

-Intel g3258
    -be quiet pure rock cooler
    -hyperx fury 2x4gm 1866 ram
    -zotac gtx 750 ti gpu
    -rosewill fbm-01 micro atx case
    -evga 430w 80+ atx power supply
    -asrock z97m anniversary

First boot, the fans fired up two seconds, then switched off, slight burning smell, was gone after a few seconds, couldn't find a trace, source, marks.

Would not power on at all
    removed battery, held the power button 30 sec, changed the cmos plug from default to clear cmos poition, waited 60 min, switched cmos pin to default, plugged battery in, replugged in gpu.
    set case and mobo on cardboard box.

Chassis, gpu, and cpu fan spin, but no beep sound, the optical drive won't open (whereas it did with the other bad motherboard with the vga problem), just flashing lights, and makes a click-click-click sound.

checked 24 point connectors all plugged in, as well as the atx12v1 - it has two connectors, one has all rounded edges, the other has two square, and two rounded. Since the mobo has a hole with the square pegs, I used that one.

Also, I notice that I can't shut off the computer by holding down the power button, I have to switch the button on the back.

The only other thing I can think that I may have done wrong is initially screwing in the back plate to the mobo for the fan without the rubber washers. I realized my error when I discovered my fan lacked mounting screws (which took a week to have sent from germany) and put them on (this occurred before I ever completed the fan install, or even plugged in the power source). Would that have destroyed the motherboard?

Any suggestions? I know I must be really stupid, but I really thought I could do this.

If you realized you didn't use stand-offs for the motherboard BEFORE turning it on then you're fine (on that count).

Did you notice where the burning smell came from? The way that plastics burn means you could still go in there and sniff every component and you'll find the grilled part.

Also, I notice that I can't shut off the computer by holding down the power button, I have to switch the button on the back.
    Is the power wire for the front panel plugged in the right place and with the correct orientation?

This sounds similar to the issue I initally had with my new PC build - After I mounted the mobo to the case using all the stand offs and holes provided, I was having issues getting it to turn on and stay on (On for a second or two, then off). I only realized a few hours later after reading reviews of the motherboard online that if you used all of the stand offs it could cause the board to short - Don't ask me how they fucked that up. I removed one or two of the less important ones and it booted fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    This sounds similar to the issue I initally had with my new PC build - After I mounted the mobo to the case using all the stand offs and holes provided, I was having issues getting it to turn on and stay on (On for a second or two, then off). I only realized a few hours later after reading reviews of the motherboard online that if you used all of the stand offs it could cause the board to short - Don't ask me how they fucked that up. I removed one or two of the less important ones and it booted fine.
    You can use all of the stand-offs for the motherboard type, but using all of the stand-offs that you can (ITX and mATX have slightly different screw locations to ATX and there are thus more holes in the backplate than you need) will short out the motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You can use all of the stand-offs for the motherboard type, but using all of the stand-offs that you can (ITX and mATX have slightly different screw locations to ATX and there are thus more holes in the backplate than you need) will short out the motherboard
    I was only using the holes on the motherboard, of course.

You guys are a lot more helpful than asrock tech support.

I couldn't find where the original smoke smell was.

The system would power on, as in the fans would spin, but the internal speaker wouldn't beep, the one you plug into the speaker one prongs. (This was with the mobo standing on a box, outside the case, going through with Asrock support, who declared that the mobo was dead, and had me prepare a return to newegg.)

Even though I had my intel friend to help me, he had directed me to screw the mobo in without standoffs... I had to internet search what they were - my ignorance/stupidity/failure to follow directions online. I plugged in all the standoffs (same issue), then took out two of the less important ones (same issue).

System would power up the fans, but no monitor signal, not through gpu hdmi-minihdmi, or vga, wouldn't receive signal through vga on mobo with gpu removed. The optical drive would finally open and close, but no power through the usb outlets whatsoever. And I still couldn't power down using the case button. I'd have to switch off the power supply. I arranged the buttons every way possible, correct and incorrect just to make sure I wasn't crazy that the white cords are ground, and colored is plus. The HD led wasn't lighting up either, although the reset would, - and yeah, no usb on the case either. Everything my hand touches seems to fail.

So it's another return to newegg. Gonna send in the gpu, go with a strix, and retry the mobo, and return the case and try a better one.

I feel really stupid, but am glad for newegg premium, and am learning a lot.

Thanks so much guys. I can't say life sucks because there are really helpful and experienced people on the internet.

Puts me way behind with school, but honestly I've been too sick and stressed, and as much as I want to punch holes in the wall, mistakes are the best way to learn. It's a great alternative to accepting that I'm stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inf0wrs1 View Post
    Even though I had my intel friend to help me, he had directed me to screw the mobo in without standoffs... I had to internet search what they were - my ignorance/stupidity/failure to follow directions online. I plugged in all the standoffs (same issue), then took out two of the less important ones (same issue)..
    Was the board installed in the case -without- the standoffs put in there first, when you smelled things? Or was that after as an attempt to rectify the issue?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab