View Poll Results: The Star Trek Kirk and Spock as lovers?

Voters
73. This poll is closed
  • Yes why not, let's boldly go.

13 17.81%
  • No, I think the alternative universe is a bad concept.

60 82.19%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    That would be pointless. People already lose their minds over black actors playing white characters, so western civilization would probably collapse if they did something like this. Just leave it for the slash fan fiction and fan art.

Hey you know how you turn somebody who's neutral and really doesn't care about the whole gay thing into somebody that opposes gays?

Shit like this.

Stop pushing an agenda.

You want gay sci-fi?

Sit down and write some.

Don't take from the work of others and say "oh lets make this guy gay and this guy gay and this guy Black and this guy a gay Black yea!"
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

gay agenda lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    That would be pointless. People already lose their minds over black actors playing white characters, so western civilization would probably collapse if they did something like this. Just leave it for the slash fan fiction and fan art.
    Star Trek has always been about pushing new ideas and challenging old ones. I think if Star Trek was about anything it was about courage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Hey you know how you turn somebody who's neutral and really doesn't care about the whole gay thing into somebody that opposes gays?

Shit like this.

Stop pushing an agenda.

You want gay sci-fi?

Sit down and write some.

Don't take from the work of others and say "oh lets make this guy gay and this guy gay and this guy Black and this guy a gay Black yea!"
    I think you're wrong these are fictional charecter so used to tell stories there is more than one story that can be told.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account

Shit like this.

Stop pushing an agenda.
    I agree 100% but I am a right ring facist and stuff.

You want gay sci-fi?
    Its called Doctor Who.
    Reminder to self, this is what your dealing with on mmo-c ot
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Incidentally, I have no issue with deceiving stupid people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I consider anyone right of Obama to be stupid, actually.

I'd be behind this if they Rule 63'ed them both first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Star Trek has always been about pushing new ideas and challenging old ones.
    If you want to use that logic: Kirk has always had a reputation as a womanizer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    If you want to use that logic: Kirk has always had a reputation as a womanizer.
    Yes so there is nothing wrong with him having Spock as a love interest I a alternative universe.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes so there is nothing wrong with him having Spock as a love interest I a alternative universe.
    Nothing wrong with it per se, except that it doesn't make for good entertainment. Without a good reason it would be a stupid move because much though it might be appealing to the 2-4% of the audience who are gay males, I can't imagine it would be particularly appealing to the 96-98% of the audience who happen to be straight, not to mention downright offputting to an indeterminate portion of that 96-98%.

Part of what attracts viewers to central characters is how we empathise with them. In simple terms, characters like Kirk and Spock work best (in terms of making the show a success) when every guy wants to be Captain Kirk or Dr Spock, and every girl wants to be with Captain Kirk or Dr Spock. Making them both gay would basically kill that.

Aside from which, it would absolutely no sense in the alternative universe if for no other reason than Vulcan logic. As I understand it, Vulcan's have no need for romantic relationships, but they engage in them for the purposes of procreation. Spock, due to be half human, allows himself the indulgence of romantic relationships because he can. But givent the fact that in the alternative universe almost the entire Vulcan race has been exterminated, I would imagine Spock's logical side would almost certainly drive him to pursue a romantic relationship with someone with whom he could produce offspring (ie not Kirk).

I think you're wrong these are fictional charecter so used to tell stories there is more than one story that can be told.
    It'll look forced and piss people off.

Why not make new characters for people to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Its called Doctor Who.
    Ahhhh ahhhh ...is it gay? I've never watched.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethora View Post
    First of all, it's Excelsior.
    Second, I don't think he's gay since we saw his daughter at conn of Enterprise in Star Trek: Generations.
    Gay people can have families. Happens all the time.

Terrible idea. Male/female is the only correct way.

My God. I've seen some idiotic ideas, but this one beats all them easily.

No, of course no. Nay. Nada. Fucking never. Stop it.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Also the gays saying "you should just try it".

On topic: If you want a gay main character make a new one, changing the ones we have for no reason at all is a good way to lose a large portion of your fan base.

No.

If you want to make a terrible version of Star Trek, try something else. Obviously keep the line "Boldly going where no man has gone before."

And no I wouldn't watch it, I gag when I see men kissing on TV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Nothing wrong with it per se, except that it doesn't make for good entertainment. Without a good reason it would be a stupid move because much though it might be appealing to the 2-4% of the audience who are gay males, I can't imagine it would be particularly appealing to the 96-98% of the audience who happen to be straight, not to mention downright offputting to an indeterminate portion of that 96-98%.

Part of what attracts viewers to central characters is how we empathise with them. In simple terms, characters like Kirk and Spock work best (in terms of making the show a success) when every guy wants to be Captain Kirk or Dr Spock, and every girl wants to be with Captain Kirk or Dr Spock. Making them both gay would basically kill that.

Aside from which, it would absolutely no sense in the alternative universe if for no other reason than Vulcan logic. As I understand it, Vulcan's have no need for romantic relationships, but they engage in them for the purposes of procreation. Spock, due to be half human, allows himself the indulgence of romantic relationships because he can. But givent the fact that in the alternative universe almost the entire Vulcan race has been exterminated, I would imagine Spock's logical side would almost certainly drive him to pursue a romantic relationship with someone with whom he could produce offspring (ie not Kirk).

That's the most sound response for why not, but short if the Vulcan traditions I still see it only as a challenge. However I think Spick and Kirk being in love in my view I think would do more to challenge ideas about everything else they do. Especially if it never overshadows that one element.

- - - Updated - - -

It'll look forced and piss people off.

Why not make new characters for people to enjoy.

Ahhhh ahhhh ...is it gay? I've never watched.
    It's ok for people to be pissed life shouldn't always be about what you expect. I think in a way that's why Hollywood fails at writing anything good.

It's better to tell a story people need to see than what they want to see.

How about people stop changing established franchises and instead think of new ones where they can go wild with their imagination?

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    I am so sick of all this gay shit.

Captain Sulu was gay. That should help meet the 5% quota. And he commanded the Elxesior, perhaps the best ship in the fleet. I think that should be enough.
    I think you mean the actor, George Takei, who is gay.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    How about people stop changing established franchises and instead think of new ones where they can go wild with their imagination?
    Agreed, Black Spider man, gay Kirk what next? Transgender Superman but we can only call him Superwoman post op?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eluan View Post
    Also the gays saying "you should just try it".

On topic: If you want a gay main character make a new one, changing the ones we have for no reason at all is a good way to lose a large portion of your fan base.
    Nothing about telling anybody what they should try. It's about telling a story, not every story is about you or perfect. I mean you aren't actually in Star Fleet and Kirk And Spock don't exist and they aren't an extension of you.