View Poll Results: The Star Trek Kirk and Spock as lovers?

Voters
73. This poll is closed
  • Yes why not, let's boldly go.

13 17.81%
  • No, I think the alternative universe is a bad concept.

60 82.19%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinictus View Post
    No.

If you want to make a terrible version of Star Trek, try something else. Obviously keep the line "Boldly going where no man has gone before."

And no I wouldn't watch it, I gag when I see men kissing on TV.
    Seriously? I see men and women kissing all the time on TV, and two women kissing often enough, too. Somehow, I'm capable of being an adult about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Steamwheedle View Post
    Seriously? I see men and women kissing all the time on TV, and two women kissing often enough, too. Somehow, I'm capable of being an adult about it.
    Doesn't mean it's not disgusting to people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Since the current franchise is set in a alternative universe could Kirk and Spock being lovers be part of the story? What about Superman and Jimmy Olson instead of Louis Lane for a Superman reboot?
    Or you could, I don't know, make your own characters to scratch whatever man-on-man fan-fiction itch you're having. Rather than this sort of 'lets make straight characters gay because reasons!' nonsense.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Doesn't mean it's not disgusting to people.
    Those people seriously need to grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    Didn't help that he had Sky Admiral Warcrimes McEvillaugh flying his airship for him.
    hi im tydrane from dranasuss

Quote Originally Posted by Helwet View Post
    In TOS kirk is all over every single female he meets..
    So much so that if the gorn had had any indicative parts of it being a female he probably would have died trying to seduce it
    Yes, probably poor wording on my part. In Star Trek they don't seem to care if you're straight gay or what ever. Kirks sexual exploits are because its Kirk. The guys the cowboy out in the wildwest. Riker was his TNG successor, hell in one episode he hooked up with a gender neutral person (although she did say she felt female to be fair).

But yeh kirk is just kirk. He will bang anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    The best bit about Star Trek is that it does not center on peoples sexuality. Its never really discussed about if they are gay or straight or what ever. In that century Humans probably don't care who you sleep with.
    (As an LGBT person) I always found this refreshing, a focus on other things that intrigued me so much: interspecies relationships, technologic advancement, morality. There are subtle references and parallels to sexuality/gender throughout the series and I like it that way

So not a fan of retconning previous characters like Kirk and Spock into lovers or for example Picard and Janeway exploring same-sex attraction into absurdity all because its PC to do so.
    I'd love some LGBT characters but make them believable and authentic. With all the different species and visions across the galaxy I'm sure some of it could make for memorable stories. (TNG 'Outcasts' and DS9 where Jadzia had multiple very different relationships come to mind)

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Since the current franchise is set in a alternative universe could Kirk and Spock being lovers be part of the story? What about Superman and Jimmy Olson instead of Louis Lane for a Superman reboot?

Your poll options suck. What if I like the new universe but don't want to see them be lovers?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Wow, way to push an agenda, dude. And your posts in this thread? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Your poll options suck. What if I like the new universe but don't want to see them be lovers?
    Of course his poll options suck, he's biased and is trying to push an agenda. At one point he even stated that we NEED to see that, like, what the fuck?

don't see a gayverse being necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, going to agree with the masses here, if you want a gay character in Star Trek, then make one, no retconning one.... Sheesh, I've never had a problem with gay character who were gay from the start,( two of the gladiators from the Spartacus series) or more of the recent Captain Flynt from Black Sails... I and my wife had a good laugh back in the late 90's about the LGBT community thinking Xena was gay, even the damn producers of the show made fun of that notion, when in fact she was bisexual.
    The sims lies, don't trust them....

Quote Originally Posted by ViveLaVie View Post
    (As an LGBT person) I always found this refreshing, a focus on other things that intrigued me so much: interspecies relationships, technologic advancement, morality. There are subtle references and parallels to sexuality/gender throughout the series and I like it that way

So not a fan of retconning previous characters like Kirk and Spock into lovers or for example Picard and Janeway exploring same-sex attraction into absurdity all because its PC to do so.
    I'd love some LGBT characters but make them believable and authentic. With all the different species and visions across the galaxy I'm sure some of it could make for memorable stories. (TNG 'Outcasts' and DS9 where Jadzia had multiple very different relationships come to mind)
    Picard has always been a cool one, he only really took a few lovers, the explorer lady the lady from the 3rd film and ofc Crusher her self. Personally I liked the way they portrayed him and anything else would be just silly now. Janeway I could see getting some woman on woman action, for no other reason than i'd pay to watch it ;D

I am all for having LGBT characters. More so if they are great characters who just happen to be LGBT etc, if they happen to be gay or straight or a sexless blob from andor 12 who cares what matters is the characters good.

Another good point was Picard - Bald as anything and during an interview/question someone asked why in that century would he not just fix his hair (regrow or w/e) a reply from them is simple, in the 24th Century they wouldn't care if he is bald. I like to think its the same way about sexuality in Star Trek. As I said earlier they went into peoples sexuality a little in an episode where riker hooks up with a monogendered race where its illegal to be male/female and have a sexual preference. Stuff like that can make a compelling episode, as far as the humans are concerned these people should be free to choose who and what they are etc. While in the end they have to respect the other cultures views even though they clash with their own.
    Last edited by khalltusk; 2015-04-07 at 02:19 PM.

Deleted
    Picard has always been a cool one, he only really took a few lovers, the explorer lady the lady from the 3rd film and ofc Crusher her self. Personally I liked the way they portrayed him and anything else would be just silly now. Janeway I could see getting some woman on woman action, for no other reason than i'd pay to watch it ;D

I am all for having LGBT characters. More so if they are great characters who just happen to be LGBT etc, if they happen to be gay or straight or a sexless blob from andor 12 who cares what matters is the characters good.

Another good point was Picard - Bald as anything and during an interview/question someone asked why in that century would he not just fix his hair (regrow or w/e) a reply from them is simple, in the 24th Century they wouldn't care if he is bald. I like to think its the same way about sexuality in Star Trek. As I said earlier they went into peoples sexuality a little in an episode where riker hooks up with a monogendered race where its illegal to be male/female and have a sexual preference. Stuff like that can make a compelling episode, as far as the humans are concerned these people should be free to choose who and what they are etc. While in the end they have to respect the other cultures views even though they clash with their own.
    Haha, I bet ya would

I think I have seen that interview with Patrick Stewart, it was a nice thought indeed. I think there is a lot of potential in Star Trek (or any equivolent universe) for showing diversity as part of great intrigue,drama, interspecies relationships. And don't stop there, make them controversial characters if it fits the theme.
    Actually they already did that with Garak from DS9 without it being too upfront. Someone with a deceptive yet charming personality that could be anywhere on the spectrum of sexuality and allegiance

Quote Originally Posted by ViveLaVie View Post
    Haha, I bet ya would

I think I have seen that interview with Patrick Stewart, it was a nice thought indeed. I think there is a lot of potential in Star Trek (or any equivolent universe) for showing diversity as part of great intrigue,drama, interspecies relationships. And don't stop there, make them controversial characters if it fits the theme.
    Actually they already did that with Garak from DS9 without it being too upfront. Someone with a deceptive yet charming personality that could be anywhere on the spectrum of sexuality and allegiance
    Garak was he not a tailor but also completely bad ass and you didn't know if he was lying or telling the truth? There was a lot of discussion on if he was gay or not on certain forums. To me it didnt matter, what mattered was he was a good character. He could make an awesome suit for you then later on do something cool.

Might have to re-watch DS9 loved the invasion story line.

7+ Year Old Account
    The poll is too vague. I have no idea what I'd be voting on. Would I be for it? Do I think its possible? Do I think it'd be a good idea? This poll is absurdly non-specific.
    Weird Al - I never feed trolls and I don't read spam
    Galen Hallcyon - The internet has shown us that everyone is a fuckin' moron.

Are we talking simple gay relationship between two normal people that doesn't take over the point of the show or are we talking flamboyant "look at me I am more feminine than every female on earth because I want attention" gay that ends up being a huge part of the plot?

The first one doesn't bother me and I am all for it. Modern Family did the gay relationship thing just fine and that take on a gay couple in a tv series is just fine to me. The second one I wouldn't force my worst enemy to watch.

Deleted
    Garak was he not a tailor but also completely bad ass and you didn't know if he was lying or telling the truth? There was a lot of discussion on if he was gay or not on certain forums. To me it didnt matter, what mattered was he was a good character. He could make an awesome suit for you then later on do something cool.

Might have to re-watch DS9 loved the invasion story line.
    Yes, he was Seemed he and Bashir,the doctor, got a long very well. In a tailored fashion ofcourse (what a pun lol)

Can't remember when I last saw one of the shows but these moments make me want to aswell Wonder if they have a new one planned. Any trekkies up-to-date? ^^

The old TV show Kirk was so alpha I could see it happening. Both Spock and Kirk are straight but Kirk is so alpha he seduces Spock.

Would make a good episode!

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    As long as it is the new Spock/Kirk... It could be interesting, why not?

- - - Updated - - -

Also this. I would not mind either, really, but the first one would appeal more.
    To tell you the truth, I don't think Kirk or Spock being love interest to one another, would have any greater impact on their abilities, than any other relationship, I just think it could be an interesting way to explore their relationship.

I think it is however unfortunate that some think in stereotypical fashion that this idea means either one has to come to the bridge in roller skates and twirling around and saying "WEEE"

Many men gay and straight SERVE our real military with distinction and honor, and I don't think it's anymore shameful to have a love interest also in the military gay or straight. But my guess is that it happens, and THAT could be interesting to explore in Star Trek.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

So sick of people wanting to change established characters in these ways. We have a female thor, a black captain america and now people want a gay kirk and spock. FFS make a new character. stop changing established characters.

Deleted
    Most illogical!