Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Mindy Kaling’s brother pretended to be black to get into med school

The big brother of Fox sitcom star Mindy Kaling reveals that he got into medical school by pretending to be African-American.

Fifteen years ago, Vijay Chokal-Ingam shaved off his straight black hair, trimmed what he calls his “long Indian eyelashes” and started checking off the “black” box for race on his med-school applications.

Before long, the Asian Indian-American was interviewing at Harvard and Columbia, and found himself on wait lists at the University of Pennsylvania, Washington University and Mt. Sinai — despite his relatively mediocre 3.1 GPA and his family’s considerable wealth.

“I love my sister to death,” Chokal-Ingam, 38, told The Post in a telephone interview from Los Angeles, where he and his comedienne sibling both live. But they’re fighting over his revelation. “She says this will bring shame on the family.”

Kaling plays the title role in “The Mindy Project” and portrayed Kelly Kapoor on NBC’s “The Office.”

Chokal-Ingam wound up dropping out of St. Louis University Medical School two years after he got in under false pretenses.

He eventually was accepted at, and graduated from, UCLA Anderson’s MBA program — as an Asian Indian-American.

Chokal-Ingam says he’s revealing his race ruse now because he heard that UCLA is considering strengthening its affirmative-action admissions policies. He says it’s a myth that affirmative action benefits the underprivileged.

He plans to write a memoir about his experiences, to be titled *“Almost Black.”

“I got into medical school because I said I was black,” Chokal-Ingam writes in his blog, at almostblack.com. “The funny thing is I’m not. My plan actually worked. Lucky for you, I never became a doctor.”

St. Louis University Medical School boasts of being highly selective, and of its incoming students having an average GPA of 3.84.

Chokal-Ingam said he came up with the idea of self-identifying as “black” after seeing fellow Asian Indian-Americans with better grades than he had struggle to get into med school.“I disclosed that I grew up in one of the wealthiest towns in Massachusetts, that my mother was a doctor, and that my father was an architect,” he said Saturday, describing his med-school applications.

“I disclosed that I didn’t receive financial aid from the University of Chicago, and that I had a nice car,” he said. “I was the campus rich kid, let’s just put it on the table. And yet they considered me an affirmative-action applicant.”

On affirmative action in general, Chokal-Ingam said, “Racism is not the answer. … It also promotes negative stereotypes about the competency of minority Americans by making it seem like they need special treatment.”

http://nypost.com/2015/04/05/mindy-k...to-med-school/
    so we have a student with not so good grades and gets turned down for med school which he should have but turns around changes his looks and name to pass for being black and applies to the same school as being black under affirmative action and gets accepted
    but I was told this didn't ever happen under affirmative action that colleges didn't accept the under qualified or lower their standards based on skin color
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2015-04-08 at 12:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    so we have a student with not so good grades and gets turned down for med school which he should have but turns around changes his looks and name to pass for being black and applies to the same school as being black under affirmative action and gets accepted
    but I was told this didn't ever happen under affirmative action that colleges didn't accept the under qualified or lower their standards based on skin color
    I'm going to guess the same person that told you that was the one that said quota systems were banned (they aren't) and will also be the one who locks this thread.
    you can't make this shit up
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Third-wave feminism or Choice feminism is actually extremely egalitarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I hate America
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't read/watch any of these but to rank them:Actual news agency (mostly factual):CNN MSNBC NPR

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    I'm going to guess the same person that told you that was the one that said quota systems were banned (they aren't) and will also be the one who locks this thread.
    It is why you are the only one who replied to the thread after 18 others have viewed it they have no defense

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    /popcorn

Grey thought my thread was bad.

I don't really have much to say about his story, but his sister is a shit comic.

Guy misses the point. School wants diversity. Asians and Whites are over represented in the medical field.

If you are Asian, I fully understand lying about your race for medical school. It sucks for them. You could be a perfect student who has a 4.0 and developed a cure for cancer and it would be iffy if you get in

Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    If you are Asian, I fully understand lying about your race for medical school. It sucks for them. You could be a perfect student who has a 4.0 and developed a cure for cancer and it would be iffy if you get in
    Perfect student with a 4.0 are a dime a dozen when it comes to Asians, what do they really bring culture wise when they're overrepresented already? If they were underrepresented this thread wouldn't exist. Now if they cured cancer they would for sure get in, because that's interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Perfect student with a 4.0 are a dime a dozen when it comes to Asians, what do they really bring culture wise when they're overrepresented already? If they were underrepresented this thread wouldn't exist. Now if they cured cancer they would for sure get in, because that's interesting.
    *It's okay if you fucked up during my surgery, I learned about 'insert whatever holiday you want here because my satire is off' before I went under*.

Point being, In fields like this, I think it's fair to say that diversity has a smaller impact on productivity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guy misses the point. School wants diversity. Asians and Whites are over represented in the medical field.
    Are you for real??? There is no room for diversity, the best qualified should be the people getting in. Doesn't matter about race or creed, being the best should be all that matters.

So being the best candidate is no longer enough. Gotcha

10+ Year Old Account
    So he is a lying scum bag that wasted the time and efforts of good people to later shit on them in this article. Classy guy.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    *It's okay if you fucked up during my surgery, I learned about 'insert whatever holiday you want here because my satire is off' before I went under*.

Point being, In fields like this, I think it's fair to say that diversity has a smaller impact on productivity.
    Don't be foolish here, bad students will not get the good residencies if any depending on how bad they really are. Medical School isn't extremely forgiving of people who are actively terrible. They forgive off grades for historically oppressed people; however, once in there, you can't skate by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhine101 View Post
    So being the best candidate is no longer enough. Gotcha
    He wasn't qualified and never became a doctor either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Are you for real??? There is no room for diversity, the best qualified should be the people getting in. Doesn't matter about race or creed, being the best should be all that matters.
    How do you intend to include historically oppressed peoples? The issue tends to be that black and Hispanics are disproportionately poor, which has a direct effect upon grades.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    /popcorn

Grey thought my thread was bad.
    Your threads are always bad, but at least we all have a fun time

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be foolish here, bad students will not get the good residencies if any depending on how bad they really are. Medical School isn't extremely forgiving of people who are actively terrible. They forgive off grades for historically oppressed people; however, once in there, you can't skate by.
    You were talking about the school.

First post made me think you were referring to the field as a whole.

To add, I could very well benefit from such measures.

It still boters me that i'm going to be racing others that are probably going to be a lot faster.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2015-04-08 at 02:43 AM.

There should be no such thing as "over represented" races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    There should be no such thing as "over represented" races.
    Sure if there wasn't a legacy of racism, bigotry and systematic discrimination.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Sure if there wasn't a legacy of racism, bigotry and systematic discrimination.
    Sorry what's the connection?