Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Am i the only one who is bothered by the phrase African American? My grandma came here from Poland, I'm not a Polish-American xD
    Slightly off-topic i suppose, but that just popped into my head.
    Me too. I don't call myself Caucasian American for instance. The term african american also encourages stereotyping of blacks - for instance one of my friends was from granada so I wouldn't call him african. We also don't really get exposure to the different cultures and lob them into one, which also reinforces stereotyping. The term also reinforces the idea that blacks in US are only sort of american. That is, it gives the impression they just came off the boat or something. When you say you're an American it gives the impression you've 'been here the whole time' or that you're 'really american'.

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    SO what just a 2 year? A good chunk of your credits transfer over I think.

And....this is why I say we're far too young to be in serious relationships.

Our futures uncertain; outlooks are frail; markets are prone to fail.

You're investing time and energy on things that could otherwise be speant on YOU. Worry about a relationship when you find your place in this world and a decent job. Doing these things get you a better grade of poon anyway.
    Eh, it was a relationship since 10th grade. Every other relationship I just shrugged off.

Not to derail it too much, but literally my first girlfriend after like a few months just flat out said on the bus once "I don't think this is working out" and I just turned from talking to my friend and said "Okay" and then went back to talking.

Am i the only one who is bothered by the phrase African American? My grandma came here from Poland, I'm not a Polish-American xD
    Slightly off-topic i suppose, but that just popped into my head.
    The only African Americans I know have dual citizenship in an African country and the US

But... he is black...

- - - Updated - - -

The phrase Polish-American makes far more sense applied to you than "African American" when applied to black Americans. How many generations back is Africa in their genealogy? I bet if you took all "white" and "black" Americans and looked at how long their ancestors had been in the US, the blacks would come out ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Guy misses the point. School wants diversity. Asians and Whites are over represented in the medical field.
    So let's give it to less qualified to fill quotas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's much easier for a white kid growing up in a rich suburb to be the best than it is for a poor black kid in harlem to be, because of hundreds of years of oppression. I mean just 50 years ago blacks weren't even allowed to drink from the same water fountains and now everyone is trying to act like we all started on an even playing field xD
    While there may not be many rich black kits in rich suburbs, there are plenty of poor white kids in poor neighborhoods across the country.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

IDGAF if it's not fair. When it comes to medicine, only the best should be able to practice because they are responsible for peoples' health. Your race, gender or whatever shouldn't fucking matter. This is fucking idiotic.

Don't be foolish here, bad students will not get the good residencies if any depending on how bad they really are. Medical School isn't extremely forgiving of people who are actively terrible. They forgive off grades for historically oppressed people; however, once in there, you can't skate by.
    So you are saying we should educate people who will fail anyways, because schools need diversity? What a flawed argument. But let's be real, that's your MO.
    Last edited by Stop Pretending; 2015-04-08 at 03:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushtuckrman View Post
    Are you for real??? There is no room for diversity, the best qualified should be the people getting in. Doesn't matter about race or creed, being the best should be all that matters.
    Agreed, diversity might have room in liberal arts degree colleges, but medical school?! thats risking peoples lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So you are saying we should educate people who will fail anyways, because schools need diversity? What a flawed argument. But let's be real, that's your MO.
    Not only that, but think of the qualifies students, who would have made good doctors, who were denied entry because the school was full.

I agree, the most qualified person should get into, to hell with quotas.

But this,
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    It is why you are the only one who replied to the thread after 18 others have viewed it they have no defense
    This just makes you look like you're grasping at straws.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    So let's give it to less qualified to fill quotas.
    You realize that in order to make in through Medical school you actually have to be competent right?

You realize that in order to make in through Medical school you actually have to be competent right?
    Someone better could have been accepted instead though.
    This isn't a matter of making it by, in the medical field you really want the best. The application process is the best attempt these schools can give at choosing who will potentially be the greatest students and doctors thereafter. This shouldn't be compromised for the sake of forcing equal representation.
    If you want to mess with this kind of thing, go bolster high schools in predominantly black neighborhoods. Improve minority students before they go to university so that their applications get accepted based on merit, not race.

They're letting in people with a B average if they have the right skin color, so evidently it's a sliding scale of competency.

You don't. A soon to be cardio-toracical surgeon still thinks that putting your balls in boiling water will prevent STDs and pregnancies...that and fucking a different cheap hooker each night without a condom.

Most of the time getting into an University is the hardest part. If you aren't a complete dumbfuck...and sometimes even then.

Pick any field you want, I guarantee you that after they are done with their studies, 5% being actually fit to do what they studied is a huge amount. That's 5% of the "top", because the top should get accepted. There should never be room for gender/race/religion/sexual orientation and all of this meaningless stuff when it comes to how qualified someone is to do something.

And for the guy that didn't understand how this can "cause" racism, I'll give you an easy example. The University I'm currently at, let's call it computer science. I have to pay it since it's my second. It's a rather high tax for my country, about 7 months of AVERAGE wage/year. We don't have insane prices like in the US but that's still a lot.
    Now there are people with high as fuck grades that try to get in and they really worked for those grades. The issue is that there's a limited amount of spots covered by the government and the rest have to pay. Let's say 60 covered and 200 have to pay. 15 of those 60 became reserved for gypsies and other minorities. NONE of those that got in through minority spots passed year one ever. And the way they designed this bullshit, they won't move 15 people from tax on those spots.
    This is the kind of shit that makes people mad. You work your ass off for something and then you get slapped with a "nope" in favor of someone that gets it for free and doesn't even give a shit. It will make you hate an entire minority when you start getting denied stuff because "even if that guy doesn't care and you are 10 times better than him, we can't even give you a chance".
    Last edited by Ichifails; 2015-04-08 at 05:10 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh...just avoid black doctors for anything more than basic medical stuff.

Who cares if they have to be competent to pass? They shouldn't have been in there in the first place if their under qualified! That is just 1 less doctor being put out in the field because they needed diversity. We are seeing a shortage of doctors and all these idiots care about is ensuring their schools are diversified.

I am in agreement with others. I want the best person possible doing an operation. Not someone who got a handicap to get in just because of their race. We need to start pumping out more doctors. Forget diversifying in this field.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

15+ Year Old Account
    Her brother sounds like a genius.

Guy misses the point. School wants diversity. Asians and Whites are over represented in the medical field.
    Diversity is a bull crap excuse. If Asians and Whites are setting a standard that other minorities can't reach, then we're better off without them in the field. We shouldn't lower our standards just because the Asian guy scored higher, but we really need a Black.

Same goes for everything. It shouldn't matter what Sex, Color, Gender, Religion, etc. a person is, the best candidate should be the top choice. If two people that are different qualify for the position, then bring it down to who applied first. It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by stabetha View Post
    I'm going to guess the same person that told you that was the one that said quota systems were banned (they aren't) and will also be the one who locks this thread.
    Agreed with the quota system. It's "banned" in words only, but they're always going to meet a quota to get a benefit from it.

As it happens, Chokal-Ingam was only accepted at one school, St. Louis University Medical School. He dropped out after two years, the Post reports, and was later accepted at UCLA Anderson’s MBA program as an Asian Indian-American.

"Racism is not the answer," he told the Post, implying that proponents of affirmative action are The Real Racists. "It also promotes negative stereotypes about the competency of minority Americans by making it seem like they need special treatment." But then again, he writes on his website:

My experiences with racism as an African American include being harassed by policy officers and being accused of shoplifting by store clerks, something I had never experienced when I was just another Indian-American doctor’s son.

And also, on Facebook:

I discovered that being a black man had some fairly interesting upsides — other than giving me a leg up with medical schools, was that suddenly women SAW me. Not in the profound Návi way, but in the "I wanna bang you. NOW," way.

As a black man I somehow fell heir to a powerful (but thoroughly enjoyable) sexual magnetism that was just as tangible and puzzling to all of my Indian American friends as it was to me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

You know what I'd do with people like you?

I'd make sure that when you're sick you don't get to go to a doctor.

I'd have you treated by the janitor because qualified trained doctors are "over represented" in the medical field.

I think in the interests of perpetual victim culture, oh excuse me I mean "equality", we need to give the janitors a crack at triple bypass.

And you know what, I think I'll call anybody who disagrees with me a janiphobe.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN