Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Point being, In fields like this, I think it's fair to say that diversity has a smaller impact on productivity.
    Probably a buried reply at this point, but the have the same deal in NZ and the idea is simple. Maori people like to see maori doctors. It is a genuine public health concern. They can get in with and graduate with less grades, though I don't think it is quite so simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    affirmative action happens every day. Mindy Kaling's brother used a smart technique to get ahead in a life that would've tried to opress him. Is that a crime? No. Is that the way society is? yes.
    Hi

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    affirmative action happens every day. Mindy Kaling's brother used a smart technique to get ahead in a life that would've tried to opress him. Is that a crime? No. Is that the way society is? yes.
    And is that the way society should be? Last time I checked everyone should have equal rights, this is not equal rights.

Deleted
    And surely it's nothing wrong with that.

Hmm... profit idea. I'm going to invest massively into shoe polish / chemical suntan and tanning bed companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That misses the mark, somehow at least..
    The problem with the healthcare in the US isn't the skills of the medical personnel. That is, point and fact pretty much the best in the World on a broader scale. The problem is instead the availability for the patients. Of course, if you got enough money, you have the best medical service you can get here in the US.

Themius worded his point quite wrong in my opinion.
    There is a huge aspect to be considered with the situation. The patient <> medical personnel relationship. Maybe (or likely) some black patients feel more cozy when treated by black medical professionals, than by others. And that's true for other races too... There's nothing wrong with having someone for every preference.
    Many people are very frightened when it comes to hospitals and such.. They're scared shitless..
    Now they see a doctor that looks very "foreign" to them....... Then their already upset mind goes totally haywire. Omg... Look, can they even understand what I am saying. What if they don't understand my language..
    I know that is not rational thinking. But rational thinking is only optional with patients, and not a default.
    From that angle it makes sense to have someone, even if they aren't better on paper when they apply for college.
    Which leads to the next aspect.
    There has to be some measuring system. That much is clear. So certain scores help to determine whom to take, whom not to take.
    But that does not mean a lot really, other than giving some rough estimate about who likely makes it through and who would not be able to in the first place.
    It says however absolutely nothing about the quality of the future doctor to be.
    Good score only say, the person is good with reading comprehension.. That's really all, in the beginning.
    I'm sorry, that's not just irrational thinking, that's racist thinking. Their fear simply brings out their true colors: they prefer being around members of their own ethnicity. The most logical option, that is minus the emotional bias, would be to see the doctor that would best help your condition, not the best doctor that is of the same ethnicity as you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That is, point and fact pretty much the best in the World on a broader scale.
    No.
    The problem is instead the availability for the patients. Of course, if you got enough money, you have the best medical service you can get here in the US.
    Yeah, this does not mean what you think it means.
    Oh, are we talking about healthcare in America
    Not the subsection of it that is cutting edge.
    Themius worded his point quite wrong in my opinion.
    because he is wrong? please say so?
    There is a huge aspect to be considered with the situation. The patient <> medical personnel relationship. Maybe (or likely) some black patients feel more cozy when treated by black medical professionals, than by others
    Then they can feel free to seek out black medical profesionals should they choose to do so, this does not create an objective need to have any.
    And that's true for other races too... There's nothing wrong with having someone for every preference.
    Yes, the white people only wanting the 'real' white docs are not racist.
    Many people are very frightened when it comes to hospitals and such.. They're scared shitless..
    Now they see a doctor that looks very "foreign" to them....... Then their already upset mind goes totally haywire. Omg... Look, can they even understand what I am saying. What if they don't understand my language..
    This is racist.
    I know that is not rational thinking. But rational thinking is only optional with patients, and not a default.
    But why should we cater too it?
    From that angle it makes sense to have someone, even if they aren't better on paper when they apply for college.
    a third partys irrational thinking should impact a person going to med school?
    Which leads to the next aspect.
    There has to be some measuring system.
    They are called -Grades.

That much is clear. So certain scores help to determine whom to take, whom not to take.
    But that does not mean a lot really, other than giving some rough estimate about who likely makes it through and who would not be able to in the first place.
    It says however absolutely nothing about the quality of the future doctor to be.
    But the opposite doest say anything at all, this is a stupid specious argument.
    Good score only say, the person is good with reading comprehension.. That's really all, in the beginning.
    http://www.amazon.com/Medical-Physio.../dp/1437717535
    It is a big book.

My problem with all this diversity crap is you guys assuming all the people of the same race are the same. I feel like you guys think:
    All white people are the same and think the same.
    The only way to get diversity is through skin color.

Is the only way to get 2 opinions on a diagnosis is by letting doctors of 2 different races look at it? Couldnt 2 white people, 2 asians, 2 black people each look at it and think something else? Lets take 2 asians. The first asian grew up in a poor area where hygiene is not as good. He sees certain diseases in the population a lot more frequently because of this. The second asian grew up in a richer area where people abuses synthetic chemicals. A patient comes in with a rash. The first asian immediately thinks its some skin infection due to bad hygiene or that it looks like a disease that was common where he grew up. The second asian thinks its a rash from injecting a certain chemical because he has seen this before where he grew up. Boom, 2 different opinions from the same race. Having different races doesnt automatically assume your diversity is better.
    Last edited by ellieg; 2015-04-09 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Enjoy having sub-par services. Oh, are we talking about healthcare in America? Nevermind.
    Undergrad != Medical School.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnobi View Post
    Quite frankly: I don't give a shit about cultural diversity in medical school, and neither should anyone else. I want one of those 4.0 "dime a dozen" Asians operating on me.

BTW, your tone and attitude about Asians just reeks of disrespect.
    I'm part Asian you know... Indian. I'm being blunt about the stats.

You have to do more than just have good grades.

A 3.3 gpa who has a high science gpa and good mcats with shadowing time and extracurriculars deserves more of a chance than a 4.0 who simply thought grades were enough. The latter though they have higher grades, they don't exactly show the drive to want to go into being a doctor.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually the reason he got into the school was because he met mcat standards and had a high sicence gpa, not a high overall but a high science gpa is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Brayne View Post
    So in a nutshell the white people of today have to cope quietly with racism against them, because their grand-grandfathers have sinned?

If you think, that preferential treatment for the minorities, who were mistreated in the past, will magically mend the wounds you are pretty naive.
    At the moment many are jumping on this movement, to get preferential treatment.

Diversification > Merit was never a good way to achieve a better result in the end. There are fields, where competence has to be the only criteria.

And why stop at black doctors for black patients if we are on to this. Why not hire a doctor with a special disease, that patients with the same disease will feel more cozy and understood.
    Not only that, but the thing about AA that gets me the most is that it screws over other minorities that were not only completely uninvolved with the racism in the US, but also were targeted themselves for racism by white people too. Why does an Asian immigrant have to pay for the sins of the white man?

Quote Originally Posted by spanishninja View Post
    Not only that, but the thing about AA that gets me the most is that it screws over other minorities that were not only completely uninvolved with the racism in the US, but also were targeted themselves for racism by white people too. Why does an Asian immigrant have to pay for the sins of the white man?
    because it isn't or was it ever about equal opportunity it has always been about equal outcome even if the individual has not earned that outcome

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    because it isn't or was it ever about equal opportunity it has always been about equal outcome even if the individual has not earned that outcome
    Since we're talking about medical school, students need to still make the mcat and science gpa standards so... you're speaking nonsense.