Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    jesus i would've thought they were ghosts.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I would expect some rioting over the summer if things escalate. But hey, maybe he gets a very one sided view, I don't know. Either ways sounds kinda crappy.
    The depressing defeatist feeling is certainly widespread. The economic situation is taking a toll on people prospects in life. But I would personally not expect civil unrest to shift on a violent take anytime soon. Perhaps wishful thinking but the sentiment that violence doesn't lead anywhere is prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    My brother is living in, and is one of the lucky people in, Madrid under 35 to have a job (teaching). He says things are pretty depressing over there, big "little-to-no-prospects" mentality among younger people, some demographics have massive unemployment, and 'mostly' people seem to blame corruption in the government for the issues.

I would expect some rioting over the summer if things escalate. But hey, maybe he gets a very one sided view, I don't know. Either ways sounds kinda crappy.
    Very one sided. I literally don't know anyone (in my social circle) unemployed. And in the past year to month business has been better than in years, we are also back hiring. I myself extended a part time employee to full time this year and hired one new engineer (she is 32 with limited experience) and one new part time intern (she is French tho, studying at Complutense).

Admittedly tho not all sectors are recovering as quickly. Your education is also a major component when it comes to your ability to get a job. Frankly there is a massive surplus of people with degrees in arts, management, architecture. Most of them are unemployable. The services industry is also only recovering in segments.

Retail is doing good, constructions are still a complete dead end.

Another important thing is that many major Spanish companies do hire skilled labor in a wide range of areas, but they are generally subcontracting to Latin America or the Middle East. Many, many, many Spaniards are profoundly unwilling to work and travel, so we often end up hiring Spanish educated Romanians, Bulgarians, Latinos, French or even Britons/Americans.

The government (which used to be a major job creator) is no longer employing. Many Spaniards spent years preparing specifically to enter the public sector but now find that they are unprepared or unable to compete in the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Very one sided. I literally don't know anyone (in my social circle) unemployed.
    [...]Many, many, many Spaniards are profoundly unwilling to work and travel.
    The situation, as you note, is that of strong asymmetry. Your perspective from Madrid is bound to differ from mine in León. Being an architect myself, you can imagine I know plenty of people whose skills are no longer marketable (I'm studying again, go figure: because we desperately need to diversify).
    The unwillingness to move around is something I notice too. I've made my living in León, Valladolid, Gijón, Valencia, Madrid, and abroad. And, while I may struggle from time to time, I can get by. I can understand -to a point- that people generally want to keep located in the land they grew up in, but stubborn reluctancy to travel, even as a temporary measure, is pretty odd.