Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    WinXP is the only pure 32bit OS still supported by WoW... It was expected that XP support would ve removd with WoD (which didn't happen). If you use a 14 years old OS, which microsoft doesn't even support anymore, you deserve problems..
    What are you talking about? Even Win8 have 32bit version...
    But apart from that.... Didn't we just agree, that 32bit machines with 32bit OSes, running 32bit programs can handle 64bit integers? Please don't take a step backwards, now we finally have begun to walk forward...
    That was never an issue. The issue was the need to port 32bit application to 64bit so it can use 64 bit integers and do math on them without the performance hit.
    Since wow support both 32bit and 64bit clients - the squish was needed. Case closed.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Do a lot of you pay that close attention to the specific numbers that you are hitting for? Of course I’m looking at numbers when I look at logs/rankings, or on the meters at the end of the fight. But the important thing that I’m interested in is the relation of my numbers to everyone else. Did I rank well or poorly? Was I 1st or 15th on dps for our raid? Even when I’m leveling what I’m focusing on is how much of that mobs health did I take away with that cast – 10%? 50%? 1%?
    Personally I do (or did, in case of WoW). Increase of efficiency, increase of survivability, increase of damage output, they are more complicated than just % numbers and they have much more use outside of raid situation.
    So I’m happy we don’t have to deal with that for now, and it really wouldn’t bother me if they did it every expansion. You’d have exponential power gains through the expansion due to all the ilvls from all the different raid difficulties, then you squish it down to be linear for people passing through that content on their way to the newest expansion. Seems fine to me. What am I missing?
    Feeling of progression, cornerstone of any CRPG. You can't just "squish-squash" progression in such a way. It isn't some Action game, where most things are based on %s and there is no real progression. Or is it what WoW comes to? It comes to questions like - why have leveling at all then?

It is like writing a book, nearly finishing it and then deleting just for the sake of starting from whit list. It is like making a film, and then deleting it just for the sake of starting from scratch. It is like cooking and then trashing whatever you cooked just for the sake of cooking anew.

Also, I tried to level new alt, and it feels awful. Barely any upgrades, and whenever I get them, they all get semi-obsolete stats in comparison to 90+ systems. I understand, it is hard to change thousands upon thousands of items, but maybe it's a sign that messing with core mechanics isn't a good idea at all.

On other side, I thank all these squish-squashes as they turned my sight more away from MMOs and closer to single player scenes, I am from people who prefer stable game rules, which don't change every time I play, making me upset by having to relearn the game again, frustrated in futile attempts of finding stampede, serpent sting and other abilities on my characters... Is it what people call "progression"?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What are you talking about? Even Win8 have 32bit version...

That was never an issue. The issue was the need to port 32bit application to 64bit so it can use 64 bit integers and do math on them without the performance hit.
    Since wow support both 32bit and 64bit clients - the squish was needed. Case closed.
    "32-bit" or "64-bit" OS has nothing to do with capability to work with different data types outside of few limitations such as maximum RAM.

Computers were calculating very large perfect numbers way before some people here were born. Calculations with numbers, which have over 4 million digits in 1999? And no, people didn't have some super-secret MEGA-bit Windows in 1999, which allowed them to calculate such big numbers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    "32-bit" or "64-bit" OS has nothing to do with capability to work with different data types outside of few limitations such as maximum RAM.

Computers were calculating very large perfect numbers way before some people here were born. Calculations with numbers, which have over 4 million digits in 1999? And no, people didn't have some super-secret MEGA-bit Windows in 1999, which allowed them to calculate such big numbers.
    /facedesk

We are not discussing the capability.... you can use a very huge abacus for all I care. We are talking efficiency and performance of a 32bit application doing 64bit math. It is more efficient to port application to 64bit for that. More memory, faster 64bit math.

But since wow still supports 32bit os - the squish was needed.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    But since wow still supports 32bit os - the squish was needed.
    No it wasn't, not at all actually. It was a purely cosmetic decision. CASE CLOSED.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    Personally I do (or did, in case of WoW). Increase of efficiency, increase of survivability, increase of damage output, they are more complicated than just % numbers and they have much more use outside of raid situation.

Feeling of progression, cornerstone of any CRPG. You can't just "squish-squash" progression in such a way. It isn't some Action game, where most things are based on %s and there is no real progression. Or is it what WoW comes to? It comes to questions like - why have leveling at all then?

It is like writing a book, nearly finishing it and then deleting just for the sake of starting from whit list. It is like making a film, and then deleting it just for the sake of starting from scratch. It is like cooking and then trashing whatever you cooked just for the sake of cooking anew.
    I think that's a fair opinion, but a new expansion basically does all that anyway. I mean, I saved the world from absolute destruction by killing gods and horribly powerful bad guys at least a few times per expansion, but then the next expansion comes out and I'm getting green items that are upgrades to my super awesome raid gear from a guy who just asked me to kill 15 orcs and return his stick to him. To me, the expansion is resetting everything anyway, so it doesn't bother me if I'm hitting for 2k after I used to hit for 20k. To each their own, it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are not discussing the capability.... you can use a very huge abacus for all I care. We are talking efficiency and performance of a 32bit application doing 64bit math. It is more efficient to port application to 64bit for that. More memory, faster 64bit math. .
    No we are NOT.. We discuss, if you can use 64bit integers in NON-64bit programs on NON-64bit machines.. And the answer is YES..
    Because of that, squish was NOT required..

Speed wise, yes, you gain alot from 64bit machines and programs, but that doesn't make it required...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    No we are NOT.. We discuss, if you can use 64bit integers in NON-64bit programs on NON-64bit machines.. And the answer is YES..

Speed wise, yes, you gain alot from 64bit machines and programs, but that doesn't make it required...
    Off to ignore you go.

10+ Year Old Account

Someone in my raid gets ~10 fps with minimum settings, would you argue that they should use high settings despite the extremely negative impact it would have on their performance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.