Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Going to college is about getting a great job. Why do we have to learn random topics?

I am just about fed up with people who think College should be about learning random facts. No, YOU go to college because you want a better chance for a high paying job. You are there to learn the skills required to leave a good life, and that means good skills and knowledge. Knowing how to make effective illustrations for editorial and concept art, learning computer science, learning engineering. THESE are the skills that you should be going to college for. So why are we being forced to learn ridiculous trash topics like "women's studies" and what not? I signed up to learn programming, this is my major, I don't see any way shape or form what a class which ONLY focuses on the issues of one gender is going to help me become a better programmer.
    Why the hell are colleges investing in sports WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING to do with education. Here's the idea. THOSE PEOPLE who want access to those features CAN PAY THE EXTRA FEES, don't jack up my tuition and fees because a few might use it.

I am shilling out 3,450 dollars A YEAR every YEAR in tuition alone already and do not want to see this rise to 4044 next year, and that does not count the traveling expenses. This is getting absurd how ridiculous college is getting. Seriously, just cut the fat and focus on what college was originally intended to focus on: A long term monetary investment. That means if I put in 20,000 into college, over the next 15-20 30 years I should be at least east 20,000 dollars richer than if I had just went straight to work.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Usually when I see people complaining about "random facts" there topics meant to require critical thinking.

Economics majors get smotherd by neoclassical theory, but we're constantly told to be skeptical about neoclassical theory.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Usually when I see people complaining about "random facts" there topics meant to require critical thinking.

Economics majors get smotherd by neoclassical theory, but we're constantly told to be skeptical about neoclassical theory.
    Most majors require critical thinking, we are talking about classes which are irreverent to our majors.

Isn't the networking the most important part?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I assume for the same reason as they do in high school. I'd like the public to know some basics about math and science and philosophy, this would be just up another level (not sure how effective it is).

10+ Year Old Account
    Grooming is a broad-aspect. You cannot learn to not slurp by only being taught how to cook.

found the problem.

school isn't about training you for a job, but to make you better at being a human.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by des1234 View Post
    [ I don't see any way shape or form what a class which ONLY focuses on the issues of one gender is going to help me become a better programmer.]

If you don't realize that you will be programming things for the 50% of the population that is not male you've got a bigger problems than you think. Yeah, I realize you don't think you need to know anything about women since the closest you'll probably come to one is sitting next to her in that class, but that just means you blind yourself to 50% of consumers of your "product".
    Most female users are not cry baby PC feminist types. I have zero interest in appealing to people who still believe the myth that women with the exact same job status and situation as men would make 78 cents on the dollar. That has been debunked so many times it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by des1234 View Post
    [ I don't see any way shape or form what a class which ONLY focuses on the issues of one gender is going to help me become a better programmer.]

If you don't realize that you will be programming things for the 50% of the population that is not male you've got a bigger problems than you think. Yeah, I realize you don't think you need to know anything about women since the closest you'll probably come to one is sitting next to her in that class, but that just means you blind yourself to 50% of consumers of your "product".
    The only problem here is how you somehow manage to think women's studies is it all required and without it a guy is helpless to a women's needs.

There are just so many things wrong with this post....

Damn, and i deleted my post realizing feeding the troll is worthless. (BTW, I make $$$,$$$ as a software engineer so I may or may not know something about this subject.)

But I can see you know so much more than everyone else about life being in zomg college. You tell them!

You must not go to college in the US then, because my wife pays 4k+ a semester :P not per year heh

if you want to learn a skill, go to a tech school. if you want to be an overall savvy being, go to college and take the drudgery needed to get thru. College is not to make you a craftsman, it is to make you able to take on any task you desire. Communication, economics, business - these are the core to becoming a real talent. anyone can bend iron and such, but the innovators have learned more than a trade to become more than the craftsman. your choice as to what you are needing. Some work, others lead and become more than they are now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    The only problem here is how you somehow manage to think women's studies is it all required and without it a guy is helpless to a women's needs.

There are just so many things wrong with this post....
    Exactly. We are already taking a class that discusses about different cultural preferences that is mixed in within our history class...

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    I am just about fed up with people who think College should be about learning random facts. No, YOU go to college because you want a better chance for a high paying job. You are there to learn the skills required to leave a good life, and that means good skills and knowledge. Knowing how to make effective illustrations for editorial and concept art, learning computer science, learning engineering. THESE are the skills that you should be going to college for. So why are we being forced to learn ridiculous trash topics like "women's studies" and what not? I signed up to learn programming, this is my major, I don't see any way shape or form what a class which ONLY focuses on the issues of one gender is going to help me become a better programmer.
    Why the hell are colleges investing in sports WHEN THEY HAVE NOTHING to do with education. Here's the idea. THOSE PEOPLE who want access to those features CAN PAY THE EXTRA FEES, don't jack up my tuition and fees because a few might use it.

I am shilling out 3,450 dollars A YEAR every YEAR in tuition alone already and do not want to see this rise to 4044 next year, and that does not count the traveling expenses. This is getting absurd how ridiculous college is getting. Seriously, just cut the fat and focus on what college was originally intended to focus on: A long term monetary investment. That means if I put in 20,000 into college, over the next 15-20 30 years I should be at least east 20,000 dollars richer than if I had just went straight to work.
    there's a lot to learn in this world, you'll understand that when you grow up. just because they don't pertain to your career future doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught, nor does it mean they aren't important to your own development. for example - to "get a good job" you have to be a good communicator. you don't become a good communicator if all you understand is engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    there's a lot to learn in this world, you'll understand that when you grow up. just because they don't pertain to your career future doesn't mean they shouldn't be taught, nor does it mean they aren't important to your own development. for example - to "get a good job" you have to be a good communicator. you don't become a good communicator if all you understand is engineering.
    Yes, I've had to take a public speaking class for college. I didn't complain about it though even though I'm anti-social as I could see it relating to my career. A few other dozen classes I'm taking, not so much.

Good luck getting a job out of college.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    Or if you think women's studies is about crybaby PC feminists.
    Your avatar is very fitting with your personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Yes, I've had to take a public speaking class for college. I didn't complain about it though even though I'm anti-social as I could see it relating to my career. A few other dozen classes I'm taking, not so much.
    that's not what im talking about. understanding the different perspectives in life leads to being a well rounded individual and makes you a better human. not everybody thinks education is about programming autistic robots to work in factories. in my opinion OP's value of knowledge is whats wrong with this world.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    that's not what im talking about. understanding the different perspectives in life leads to being a well rounded individual and makes you a better human. not everybody thinks education is about programming autistic robots to work in factories. in my opinion OP's value of knowledge is whats wrong with this world.
    For some reason you think we couldn't learn these random facts on youtube or wikipedia.

And way to bash autistic people.

My degree was full of compulsory subjects that restricted me from doing all the subjects I actually wanted, drove me nuts.

On the other hand, if you're at university to get a job... I hope you've done some research and chosen a field that really requires a particular degree and are working towards that career specifically. Getting a tertiary degree and expecting it to result in a job doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    For some reason you think we couldn't learn these random facts on youtube or wikipedia.
    where do those random facts come from? people who went to college and took courses about other "random facts" went out and wrote stuff, and got involved in politics, and put forth a bunch of social theories. and then other people studied them and put them on the internet so you could have a passive, hazy understanding of them. do you really think humanity would be better off if these things were never taught? if you don't teach them the actual information never trickles down to your small-minded brain.

i don't think the world would be a better place. i think you're just being petty and whiney because you don't like doing homework.