Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Daniel Craig (James Bond) becomes Ambassador

So it seems Daniel Craig has been appointed as ambassador of `mines`.

Once again proves that money and fame are more important than experience and knowledge in politics.
    Despite the fact that I like him as the new James Bond, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS GUY DOING IN POLITICS?
    Thoughts?

There's a lot of reading comprehension issues going on with this.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Something something undercover.

15+ Year Old Account
    The UN has done tons of celebrity appointments like this before. He is to be the "Global Advocate for the Elimination of Mines", which is essentially the same position - albeit with a more official sounding title - that Angelina Jolie held as "Goodwill Ambassador".

His job isn't to negotiate disarmament policies with North Korea - he isn't a mediator or a diplomat, and he isn't elected so he isn't a politician, it's just to raise global awareness and good will for the UN's efforts to eliminate usage of mines.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    The UN has done tons of celebrity appointments like this before. He is to be the "Global Advocate for the Elimination of Mines", which is essentially the same position - albeit with a more official sounding title - that Angelina Jolie held as "Goodwill Ambassador".

His job isn't to negotiate disarmament policies with North Korea - he isn't a mediator or a diplomat, and he isn't elected so he isn't a politician, it's just to raise global awareness and good will for the UN's efforts to eliminate usage of mines.
    Yeah, this He isn't a politician, he's just meant to advocate it to the public through his celebrity status.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    So it seems Daniel Craig has been appointed as ambassador of `mines`.

Once again proves that money and fame are more important than experience and knowledge in politics.
    Despite the fact that I like him as the new James Bond, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS GUY DOING IN POLITICS?
    Thoughts?
    Obviously it's ploy to let him get into the supervillain's secret lair.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    What a hypocrite!

So he doesn't want others to use mines, yet he had no such qualms in arming his Lotus Esprit with them in The spy who loved me. Disgusting.

Roger Moore was the best Bond.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Roger Moore was the best Bond.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Am I the only one around here who thinks Pierce Brosnan was the best bond?

But yeah, didn't Princess Diana have that position at one time?

this is what the US does basically: just hires famous people to be "iconic" ambassadors to certain countries
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

10+ Year Old Account
    His purpose is to draw attention to the position. You made a thread about it. He wins!

Daniel Craig can have my mines when he pries them from the cold, dead stumps where my hands used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post

But yeah, didn't Princess Diana have that position at one time?
    I thought Brosnan played the best Bond, but Dalton got the best movie plots. And musical scores. Fucking Ah-Ha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh really?

Who else could have pulled off the safari suit-look with such panache?

...or made driving a 2CV look manly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Stop getting Bond wrong!

Moore > the Australian one (only because he married a young Diana Rigg) > the Scottish one > Craig David = the Welsh one (can't separate those two) > the Irish one (who made cheesy 90 minute long adverts)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Oh really?
    Yes, really.

I could use both of your pictures as examples why he wasn´t the best!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, really.

I could use both of your pictures as examples why he wasn´t the best!
    I know your game, mister. You're Austrian and therefore almost certainly one of the villans, so want an inferior Bond who won't foil your dastardly plan to take over the world.

Moore's Bond best Bond and that's indisputable.

10+ Year Old Account
    He may not have been the best Bond, but he was an awesome Inspector Clouseau - wish he'd spent more time in the role.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Am I the only one who thought the op ment mines as in coal, diamond, etc? Both happy and yet disappointed that Yvaelle explained what the op was talking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Am I the only one who thought the op ment mines as in coal, diamond, etc? Both happy and yet disappointed that Yvaelle explained what the op was talking about.
    Actually haha - I googled to figure out what he was talking about too - because originally I wasn't sure if he meant 'mines' or 'mines' either
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The UN just seems to appoint famous faces as their ambassadors now. I don't the title carries much weight anywhere.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh