Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Beer Pong Serial Rapist Sentenced to 150 Years

Joey Poindexter, a Montgomery County real estate appraiser convicted of raping men he met at beer-pong events, was sentenced to 150 years in prison Wednesday by a judge who said Poindexter secretly drugged his victims.

“There was much talk at trial about alcohol and intoxication,” Circuit Judge Richard Jordan told Poindexter, recalling his convictions earlier this year. “I have to say to you, there is really no doubt in my mind that those victims were drugged.”

The assertion helped explain an enduring and disturbing question about the case, which garnered national attention: How did Poindexter, now 40 years old, manage to carry out his assaults without his victims even knowing what happened?

It was only after detectives searched Poindexter’s cellphone and computer hard drive — and discovered that Poindexter had been video-recording and photographing his assaults for years — that the detectives learned there were so many victims.

That video evidence had been played in court earlier. It showed men with slurred speech — who, even in the case of a man standing in a shower, appeared lifeless.

“They were,” Jordan said, pausing to find the right words, “like dead bodies.”

For many people, beer pong is an informal drinking game played in college dorm rooms. But it has a competitive side as well, often played in bars, with tournaments and rankings.

Prosecutors contended that Poindexter traveled to competitive beer-pong events in Maryland and as far away as Utah and the Caribbean. The video and photo evidence revealed at least 30 victims, according to prosecutors. In court Wednesday, they showed the judge at least one photo of each victim.

Many of the images did not show faces. Detectives and prosecutors could never identify many of the men. In the end, Poindexter was convicted of sexually assaulting five men.

Three of the victims testified during trials earlier this year. Part of the time, they found themselves answering questions directly from Poindexter while he acted as his own lawyer. All five victims have felt the “severe, traumatic and continued devastating” effects of Poindexter’s assaults, prosecutors have said in court papers.

None of the victims came to court Wednesday. Poindexter did not speak, which is common for convicts facing long sentences who expect to file appeals — and don’t want to enter admissions into the record.

During the hearing, defense attorney Rebecca Nitkin criticized prosecutors for saying there were 30 victims when there were convictions for only five victims. And of those five, only three testified, denying Poindexter his basic Sixth Amendment right to confront all his accusers, Nitkin said.

She noted that her client came from a religious, close and large family, that he is “incredibly bright,” did well in college and built a successful business. She quoted William Shakespeare and Winston Churchill, and asked that her client be given a chance at rehabilitation.

“He’s a human being, and *humans are complicated,” she said.

Prosecutor Patrick Mays said that state sentencing guidelines called for 108 to 157 years but asked Jordan to sentence Poindexter to the maximum, 200 years.

“He is, in fact, a serial sexual predator the likes of which we have never seen in Montgomery County,” Mays said.

He said Poindexter traveled to events in the Washington area and beyond — Atlantic City, Virginia Beach, Salt Lake City, the Caribbean. “Competitive beer pong,” Mays said, “that is something that gave him access to victim after victim after victim.”

But Mays admitted he could explain only so much. “It’s hard to even wrap your mind around who Mr. Poindexter is.”

Jordan, the judge, said he was sentencing Poindexter only for the five men linked to his convictions. “Five victims get you to predator status, if you will,” he said, adding, “the crimes are compounded by the fact that you took videos.”

Jordan also spoke about the first victim to testify, a man who had a vague recollection of what happened, who went to the police and who agreed to wear a wire at the behest of detectives.

The man helped lead police to get search warrants and seize Poindexter’s cellphone and hard drive.

That man, Jordan said, was a hero.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...29e_story.html

It sure is nice of all of these rapists to incriminate themselves by recording damning evidence. Are they that desperate to take home trophies, or are they that arrogant in thinking they'll never be caught?

15+ Year Old Account
    Wait..hes gay Behead him! Gay people are vile and....

I am sorry guys, I am not really in the mood of making fun of this right now. I am sure one of you will take up my joking enthusiasm right now, im just not in the mood.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

...Joey Poindexter?

Deleted
    If I was called Joey Poindexter I'd go on a killing spree as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know competitive beer pong was a thing.

7+ Year Old Account
    Winner takes all in competitive beer pong, apparently.
    You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of Humanity in your hearts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What exactly was the bet I made with the Klingon sex workers?

I hope someone doesn't sig this post...

He likes raping men? Hes gonna love being in prison i hope bubba is ready in the showers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpie View Post
    He likes raping men? Hes gonna love being in prison i hope bubba is ready in the showers!
    I wanted to make a joke about that butt fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Feali View Post
    I didn't know competitive beer pong was a thing.
    Neither did I. Maybe it should get an anime. We've already had the fate of the world decided by card games and the extinction of the dinosaurs caused by tennis, so why not?

Sandusky got 30-60 years for raping boys for years, this sentence seems extremely obsessive.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Sandusky got 30-60 years for raping boys for years, this sentence seems extremely obsessive.
    I don't think Sandusky was convicted of "at least 30" counts. Sheer numbers start to add up after a while.

"Poindexter"? hehe

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    I don't think Sandusky was convicted of "at least 30" counts. Sheer numbers start to add up after a while.
    Sandusky was charged with 52 counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poindexter is an actual name?

Holy shit . . . no wonder this man is insane.
    Putin khuliyo

Sandusky was charged with 52 counts.
    All 52 were rape? I thought he was charged with a bunch of other stuff as well. Even so, different states have different sentencing guidelines. All 150 years means is that he's never getting out, which I am absolutely fine with. He raped a bunch of people, he doesn't need parole.

Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    All 52 were rape? I thought he was charged with a bunch of other stuff as well. Even so, different states have different sentencing guidelines. All 150 years means is that he's never getting out, which I am absolutely fine with. He raped a bunch of people, he doesn't need parole.
    I have a problem with it because it clearly shows how our justice system is incredibly heavy handed at times.

Hell it turns people into killers and rapists. All that'll happen is he'll adapt to prison over time.

There was a guy who committed robbery, didn't kill anyone, didn't hurt any one. Was sentenced to 70+ years. Once that happened he had absolutely no hope of getting out ever and and eventually killed a CO, and is now on death row.

Now before I'm seen as being on the guys side. I really don't care if he gets killed, my issue lies in how I believe the Justice System should operate.

25 years with extensions every time he's not found ready for release would be fine. Take away all hope of a person getting out and they can become a very evil person. When you have little to live for in prison what is really stopping you? You can't really be more punished.
    Last edited by Themius; 2015-04-17 at 02:02 PM.

Deleted
    how can a sentence be obsessive?

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    how can a sentence be obsessive?
    Would you call 70 years for robbery that injures no one excessive?

Would you call 70 years for robbery that injures no one excessive?
    That would depend on the other circumstances of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    That would depend on the other circumstances of the case.
    Non-violent, no injuries, no deaths... 70 years is a ridiculous sentence. They said he should take a plea because he could end up with a lot of time but don't you find that ridiculous?

"Hey if you plea you'll get five years but if you go to trial well they may try to fuck up your life forever over minor charges"