Poll: Lightbringer Legendary

10+ Year Old Account

Lightbringer Legendary

All class-types have had one legendary or another. Personally I preferred legendary weapons for an individual class. THE only one I would love to see would be Lightbringer.

Equip: Shield all members within 20 yards for 25% damage done in the next 10 seconds for 15 seconds. (Approx 1 proc per minute)
    After effect ends, deal the absorbed damage to all enemies within 20 yards.

This would allow for some kick-ass visuals as well. Xmorg some Lightbringer gear as well and poof, I came...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkhan View Post
    All class-types have had one legendary or another. Personally I preferred legendary weapons for an individual class. THE only one I would love to see would be Lightbringer.

Equip: Shield all members within 20 yards for 25% damage done in the next 10 seconds for 15 seconds. (Approx 1 proc per minute)
    After effect ends, deal the absorbed damage to all enemies within 20 yards.

This would allow for some kick-ass visuals as well. Xmorg some Lightbringer gear as well and poof, I came...
    Uther the "lightbringer" was a ret Paladin

Warcraft paladins don't use shields. They use huge fucking hammers

That said you just killed brewmasters , blood dks, and guardian druids.

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN

End of thread.

Frankly moving forward. The old legendary system is archaeic.
    Makes you have to do old content for no other reason.
    heavily promotoes class stacking moreso then ever.

MoP and especially WoD had been the STRONGEST legendaries EVER.
    I would rather the trend continue. Archimonde trinkets may aswell be fucking orange frankly.

Anyhow moving forward lets do a legendary trinket next expansion. Those things are always so pesky to aquire anyhow.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2015-04-17 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post

Warcraft paladins don't use shields. They use huge fucking hammers
    I'm pretty sure you misread

Quote Originally Posted by Deno View Post
    I'm pretty sure you misread
    Sort of off topic but on topic. Still somewhat annoyed that warriors got the shield dps spec and paladin didn't. I can't remember the image but I think it's Uther rocking a shield and a hammer. To me...that's a paladin. Not just a tank spec but just shield bashing and hammer bashing everything in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkfist View Post
    Sort of off topic but on topic. Still somewhat annoyed that warriors got the shield dps spec and paladin didn't. I can't remember the image but I think it's Uther rocking a shield and a hammer. To me...that's a paladin. Not just a tank spec but just shield bashing and hammer bashing everything in the way.
    Uther has never wielded a shield. The only time paladins have ever wielded shields in warcraft lore outside of wow was warcraft 1. And even then it was only because the the paladin was an upgraded version of the knight, and thus shared model. In, warcraft 1 they wore flail + shield. Ever since paladins haven't worn shields, and that's because paladins do not need shields because the light protects us. Only warriors (footmen, knights) need to hide behind mundane shields.

The idea of paladins with shield is almost entirely from outside the wow universe. Diablo 2 have produced a wealth of iconic shielded paladin material, and so have d&d. The only concept art I have found in the wow universe of a paladin with shield is this, and even in that one the paladin is rocking a massive weapon. In all other concept art, it has either been just a 2H or 2H+libram.

Personally, I would love the idea of shield bashing and hammer bashing paladin, and I would love for them to retouch wow lore to make this possible. Also, cant wait for them to some way some how implement a variation of the spellbreakers!

On topic: I think the legendary weapon is fine. The shielding mechanic is a spell effect not an actual shield.

Naturally if they did implement a tank legendary it should be for all tanks, regardless of the flavor. Just like shadowmourne was for all 2H wielders not just dks. They could either make it a 1h for warriors/palas, 2h for DK and polearm for monk/druid though the quest line. Or they could make it really interesting, and make it a 2H sword/polearm(sword on a stick) for all, and just let it mechanically count as a shield for warriors/palas.

On further reading, it actually sounds like yet another 2H weapon for dps users. In that regard, I don't think the raid utility aspect of the weapon is a good fit for dps these days. It's too easy for it to become either too good a that stacking the weapon is required for killing certain bosses or trivializing them, or too bad that dps don't think it's worth it. With this we should remember that dps have a habit of prioritizing their own dps over all other things.

And finally, I think the days are over for oldschool legendaries. Encounters are so finely tuned these days that a single legendary might throw off balance for several patches, unless they introduce new mechanics that effectively prevent stacking legendaries. Personally, I want them back, but I think there is gonna be too much risk and work involved for old legendaries to be worth it.
    Last edited by Emrus; 2015-04-17 at 01:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah I might have hinted towards some shield-off-hand-use. I meant shield as in shield absorb effect.

The weapon should obviously be a 2 Handed Mace with lots of light-esque-effects.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lightbringer is one handed soooo... meh

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Frankly moving forward. The old legendary system is archaeic.
    Makes you have to do old content for no other reason.
    heavily promotoes class stacking moreso then ever.

MoP and especially WoD had been the STRONGEST legendaries EVER.
    Whereas the current legendary ring promotes ring owner stacking to the max, where anyone without such a ring is just a worse player. But yeah, having a long and difficult journey towards obtaining an incredible item is so passe. Let's grind some LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Emrus View Post
    Uther has never wielded a shield. The only time paladins have ever wielded shields in warcraft lore outside of wow was warcraft 1. And even then it was only because the the paladin was an upgraded version of the knight, and thus shared model. In, warcraft 1 they wore flail + shield. Ever since paladins haven't worn shields, and that's because paladins do not need shields because the light protects us. Only warriors (footmen, knights) need to hide behind mundane shields.
    That's in Warcraft 2, Paladins didn't exist yet in Warcraft 1.
    Khadgar: "Well Zergy, are you armed?"

*Does a facepalm using [Blackhand's Severed Arm]*

Quote Originally Posted by Zergy View Post
    That's in Warcraft 2, Paladins didn't exist yet in Warcraft 1.
    Yes, you are entirely correct. I was thinking of Warcraft 2.

Deleted
    Warcraft III founded my love for the Ret Paladin.
    Still, I feel like it's odd to see a Paladin as Tank or Heal, even if he has those abilitys somehow.

I vaguely remember some post (Twitter?) from a Blue that it's not unpossible to rework Ret's so they could be damage Dealers while carring one-handed weapons and shields. The transmog possibillitys!

10+ Year Old Account
    It was soooooo much fun back in wrath/cata having to funnel ALL the legendary items to one player...

only to have them turn around and guild hop to a "better guild" just because they got the legendary.

NO THANK YOU. System might feel welfare nowadays but it's a helluva lot better than it used to be.

The art made by metzen for warcraft 2 featured the paladin weilding the shield/mace (size of the mace varied), so it wasnt merely sharing the model with the knight; they wanted paladins and threw in knights as a steppingstone to getting it.

I'd love a pally legendary. Given the current design and what happened with the trinkets though, I'm betting everyone will do the same quest chain but will get a class specific item that changes based on spec.
    I would love a 1H with shield Ret. Having both a Paladin and Warrior, I still can't believe warriors got glad spec since I've always seen Paladins as the de-facto shield class.