Thread: Nationalism.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    "Culture is not your friend"

Terrance Mkenna said that and I agree with him. The idea that your are part of a "team" or you are somehow different then someone oveseas, just because you happend to be born in a different plot of land is stupid. In fact I would go so far as to say thay nationalism is a hinderance on true human progress.

It's petty and outdated.
    this is pretty ignorant.
    This type of thought process leads people to war.
    You cant change how we are wired, we are wired to form small groups to protect ourselves, what is foreign we dont trust in order to protect ourselves.
    You cant surpress thousands of years of evolution, it will only end in disaster.
    Sorry but the human history is and will always be about conflict, not of harmony and multiculturalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    As with every ism it´s good to a certain degree, but can be abused if lead by the wrong people.
    The magic chosen one to lead fallacy. Benevolent king. They don't work because they don't work. Better societies are made up a collective obtaining and progressing knowledge themselves.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili Mooneye View Post
    I see no particular explanation here as to how this would make someone born in an entirely different part of the world than me, in an another culture, exactly the same as me.
    When you get passed religion and politics and language and silly things like norms in the culture, you start to understand that almost everyone wants the same thing.

Comfort, prosparity, human interaction, love... it's just that culture and nationalism perverts these desires, often when you are young. You know, you are told that of you want to life in peace, you have to kill others for your country or join a system that feeds of the poor.

We are hairless monkeys who are trying to figure out what "all this" is and I doubt it has anything to do with supporting your "team" till its last dying breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    this is pretty ignorant.
    You cant change how we are wired, we are wired to form small groups to protect ourselves, what is foreign we dont trust in order to protect ourselves.
    You cant surpress thousands of years of evolution, it will only end in disaster.
    Sorry but the human history is and will always be about conflict, not of harmony and multiculturalism.
    Wrong the best and better societies have multiculturalism and harmony at least any that have been responsible for human progress. For better or worse.

Deleted
    When you get passed religion and politics and language and silly things like norms in the culture, you start to understand that almost everyone wants the same thing.
    Ah, I get it. You're one of those norm critics who want to replace the current norms, with other norms and proclaim those norms to be better, because it fits your opinions. Never seen that before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    The magic chosen one to lead fallacy. Benevolent king. They don't work because they don't work. Better societies are made up a collective obtaining and progressing knowledge themselves.
    I don´t even. What?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    I don´t even. What?
    Isms don't fail because if leaders they fail because of people. Thus any ism that failed yesterday won't work tommorow.

Deleted
    Wrong the best and better societies have multiculturalism and harmony at least any that have been responsible for human progress. For better or worse.
    Wrong name one european country with successful multiculturalism? you do realise that multiculturalism doesnt mean different races working together only right?
    sweden and france will show you in a couple of years

10+ Year Old Account
    People tend to generalize. Generalization depends on many factors: person's experience, person's point of view, person's interpretation - as such, it is far from rational most of the time. Someone was bullied by a black kid very hard, and, due to the lack of socialization with other black kids, he came to the idea that black people are inherently bad. Someone has been told on TV how bad immigrants are and how they are stealing citizens' jobs - and, for the lack of much experience with immigrants beside this, he came to believe that immigrants are inherently bad and are to blame for most of the problems in the country. Someone grew up in a nationalistic country and, being from a minor nationality for that country, was harshly discriminated - in the end, he decided to hate on his own nationality, blaming it for all his problems and, as such, hating others of his nationality, as well as himself. Many stories, many reasons, many outcomes.

Anyone who travels enough all over the world and socializes with people from very different countries understands how wrong nationalism is, understands that we are all humans and, despite our cultural differences, we are all similar, regardless of our skin color, gender, nationality, language, eye shape, etc. Some people, however, haven't been around much, they are strongly influenced by prejudices and unfounded beliefs about other nationalities/races common in their area - and you can't do much about it, they lack the experience that would challenge their beliefs, and so they will stick to them, until proven otherwise by experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post

Anyone who travels enough all over the world and socializes with people from very different countries understands how wrong nationalism is, understands that we are all humans and, despite our cultural differences, we are all similar, regardless of our skin color, gender, nationality, language, eye shape, etc.
    Spending time with people from other cultures have only made me realize just how wide the cultural differences are. Not how similar we are.

Absurd. Japan and Korea have been among the most ethnically homogenous monocultures in the world - do you actually want to claim that they're not good societies or haven't been part of human progress?

this is pretty ignorant.

I don't belive that... When wars are started these days, people generally get angey because more people are waking up. And saying that humans are the cause for evil is stupid.

You are saying that some people are just evil when I say, it's usually something like fear, or a lust for power that makes us evil. And when you examine it even more, lust for power and evil aren't magicly created, they are carefully carved and nutured by the culture around them.

This is why good, unbiased education for the world is desperately needed, not religous ideas or nationalistic thinking. Education about the natural world, science, math etc...

10+ Year Old Account

Comfort, prosparity, human interaction, love... it's just that culture and nationalism perverts these desires, often when you are young. You know, you are told that of you want to life in peace, you have to kill others for your country or join a system that feeds of the poor.

We are hairless monkeys who are trying to figure out what "all this" is and I doubt it has anything to do with supporting your "team" till its last dying breath.

You hit the nail on the head the sooner people embrace this the better. Instead of the few who do and even fewer who use that knowledge for greed and manipulation.

I think there needs to be more separation from the terms of nationalism and xenophobia; often the former is used to describe the latter.
    I am nationalistic in the sense that I do believe I live in the best region (Fennoscandia) in the entire world. I am proud to live here.
    I'm proud of my Finnish heritage. I am proud of my Swedish heritage. I'm proud to have ties with Norway. I am proud to see what, despite some minor issues with having a completely inept prime minister, our country is today.
    This does not mean that I fear or dislike foreigner; for instance I think immigration is necessary and I think it's one of the reasons we are what we are today. Without immigration, our economy would falter and we'd have much more national debt.
    I am highly sceptical to some countries, however. Like the US and Russia. I think it's a very Huxley v Orwell situation going on in the respective countries. They have some great people, but their media and governments I do not trust.

On the sense of dividing areas of land haphazardly into countries, having living situations and life oppourtunities differ greatly whether you're a few kilometres here or there, I am torn. On the one hand, I am happy we have a great situation here, on the other, it seems rather arbitrary. If borders were more open and one could just pack up from one place and settle in in an area you more agree with in terms of how they handle things, it'd be a lot better. It's also unreasonably idealistic.
    I really dislike the idea about dividing culture, though; I think it would make more sense and strengthen everyone to just intermingle everything more.

These are just my thoughts and my opinions, and I'm not trying to preach them or pretend I'm the only one in the world with all the answers.
    Then again, I might just be just as indoctrinated and prone to believe propaganda as everyone else in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Absurd. Japan and Korea have been among the most ethnically homogenous monocultures in the world - do you actually want to claim that they're not good societies or haven't been part of human progress?
    I would say no.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    False, multiculturalism creates distrust and selfishness. This is proven by research by Dr. Robert Putnam, famed author of Bowling Alone and Our Kids.
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ide...ity/?page=full

Multiculturalism is bad. The idea that 'all cultures are equal' is self-evidently wrong. If 'all cultures are equal,' then why are people from backwards, low-trust, tribal cultures in Africa, Arabia, South Asia, South America fleeing to cultures of freedom and equality before the law in Europe and North America and Australia?
    They're poor because their culture sucks - not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong name one european country with successful multiculturalism? you do realise that multiculturalism doesnt mean different races working together only right?
    sweden and france will show you in a couple of years
    All of them. Explorers in Europe were amongst some if the first to do so. Rome was also a good example. Or are you suggesting because many of them had white skin they were the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, I believe this. Part of the reason robots are so popular in Japan is that they would replace the need for foreign workers.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I would say no.
    Well, such is the religion of multiculturalism, I suppose. Once you're at the point of denying that Japan has contributed to human progress (indeed, that it can't because it lacks multiculturalism), you're more or less demonstrating that you're free from all bounds of reality. Congrats on talking yourself into the most Orwellian possible version of your values!