Poll: Does an active commuter challenge interest you?

May 2015: MMO-C Active Commuter Challenge.

So for now consider this post as gauging interest and if it does fly I'll gladly edit it and turn it into something sexy and official looking, but I had this awesome idea;

For the month of May, a challenge to my fellow MMO-C'ers to do as much "Active commuting"(i.e. walking, running, cycling) as possible and record our mileage throughout the month (and maybe some other statistics), not to compete against each other, but to compete together.

This would be mileage spent commuting (i.e., going to work/girlfriends house/grocery shopping) and not include for leisure or exercise purposes.

And at the end of the month we could calculate just how much fuel consumption/GHG/smog we helped eliminate.

Incoming Poll to gauge interest and feel free to discuss possible parameters for such a challenge.

Thanks!

So exercise doesn't count? It's only commuting to places we normally wouldn't? Let's say I hop on the treadmill for an hour. That doesn't count?

It's okay if it doesn't. I'm still interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So exercise doesn't count? It's only commuting to places we normally wouldn't? Let's say I hop on the treadmill for an hour. That doesn't count?

It's okay if it doesn't. I'm still interested.
    Exercise (and leisure but exercise is technically leisure since you do it because you want to) don't count because the challenge is more about addressing societies dependence on fossil fuels. So the challenge is all about using your muscles to get to and from work instead of a car or a bus and to pick up groceries.

For example I have a 10 kilometer drive to work (average speed limit of about 70km/h). And the bicycle routes are slightly more direct at about 9.2km. So every time I go by bike that's about 20 km of driving saved. And consequently prevents x amount of fuel from being burned.

But if I was going to ride to the park with my gf on the weekend I'd do that anyway. So I'm not exactly saving fuel. But if I cycle to her place instead of throwing my bike in the car and driving that counts because I would have driven that distance.

Oh I'm not exactly concerned about saving the environment, but okay I'll play your challenge and walk more if possible for the sake of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Oh I'm not exactly concerned about saving the environment, but okay I'll play your challenge and walk more if possible for the sake of fitness.
    Well it doesn't have to be an exclusively environmental thing. You also save your money instead of sending it off to rich oil executives and what not. you might accidentally help the environment in the process.

10+ Year Old Account
    I jog 3-5 miles every day, weather permitting! One of the perks of living in the county is not worrying about having to cross riads/traffic
    You're a towel.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I walk 7 miles a day at work.
    You cared enough to post.

I bike to work (~20 km each way) on occasion, but my legs are often just too damned tired from running, and vice versa - when I bike, what's left for running isn't as much as I'd like to have in the tank. I run ~60 miles/week though.