How are Rogues at the moment?

Title says it all. MY wife is interested in rolling a rogue and I want to make sure she won't be disappointed. Disappointment = less play time for me! Please help!!!!

I'm pretty good. How are you? Is your wife single?

Will she be leveling the rogue up from scratch?

To be candid, rogue-leveling can feel like a chore in some level ranges unless you enjoy stealthing around.

I still love raiding on my rogue, but my somewhat lesser geared alts (DKs, feral, WW monk, enh shammie) seem to churn through solo content easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calycia View Post
    Will she be leveling the rogue up from scratch?

To be candid, rogue-leveling can feel like a chore in some level ranges unless you enjoy stealthing around.

I still love raiding on my rogue, but my somewhat lesser geared alts (DKs, feral, WW monk, enh shammie) seem to churn through solo content easier.
    That single handedly is why rogues are AWESOME to level. Quest objectives are such a snap for rogues and with how fast paced leveling is nowadays anyways you'll cap in no time. I love my rogue. First 60 was a rogue (back in classic when 60 was cap)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I do not have enough hands to apply enough palms to my face.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my own experience (in pve), don't expect to be topping dps meters...
    im cool pls respodn

Honestly, a pretty good place. Rogues imho don't have any problems leveling (90-100 in just 2 days of kinda casual leveling), honestly in a pretty decent place in pve if you put in the time, perennially useful in pvp. I've played my rogue since vanilla so I'm biased, but if she wants to role rogue then role rogue. But honestly if she is up to it role hunter cause its pretty faceroll and they are in the "best" spot right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues are face-roll to level with. Just spec subtlety, put elemental force on your daggers and use the lower cd stealth glyph.

So all you gotta do to level is stealth, 1 shot ambush, stealth, 1 shot ambush, rinse and repeat all the way to level 70 or so where it becomes 2 shot kills, ambush than eviscerate.

I'm almost done leveling mine and I gotta say, it was one of my fastest leveling experiences. It's been a while that I've wanted to play as a rogue again, but I absolutely hate how dumb combat is, I used to raid as one back in cata and all those hours spamming SS+ Evis just killed the spec for me, and it was the best spec in mop so i just avoided the class. Sub looks very interesting right now, I've always hated how it was always the "pvp spec".

So overall, if she likes to play as melee she won't be disappointed. If she never played melee I'd tell her to try out some other melee classes to see if rogue is her cup of tea.
    Last edited by Icathian; 2015-04-20 at 11:06 AM.

Deleted
    She should start off as Assassination, maybe Combat but assassination is easiest. Subtlety is hard, the hardest spec in the game, bad idea to start as that one.

The only thing "hard" about sub is the positional requirement of backstab (and ambush). Yeah, Assasination is working well. Combat is pretty good as well - pick depending on what weapon she likes more (the one-hander or the poker?).

Frustration ... well, depends on how much of the "I'm a presence in a battleground"-feeling she wants. Rogues are more like... the pain in the arse not the walking threat of a warrior, the glass-cannon of a feral or the near-immortality of a disc-priest. ^^ HOWEVER, the rogue is the gosh darn factor that rains on those parades who just thought that "I can handle this... wait... what? garrote? NOOOOO!!!!". You won't see dmg numbers that big, because you (should) not ae and instead single target.

If she does not care about pvp AT ALL (like my wife) rogue is... okish. If she does want to play a lot of solo stuff - like collecting pets, mounts and mog-gear - paladin is VERY potent melee (AND can spec any role, if the dps race stinks) that can actually heal dragons in icc... . Ret does play kindof rogue-ish with it's burst and cc and running away from 'big-bad-melee'... Just saying.

With a rogue you can stealth... and that's what's basically the cool part. But then again, you are inclined to stealth through enemies where warrior, ret, paladin and feral are just mowing through. With feral actually having the option to stealth. ^^ But... Rogue, man!

Remember: Names MUST contain DEATH, DHEAT or DEAHT and at least one of °`^´ or a combination!
    Also - as a rogue you are by default: a) true and b) evil
    and... when talking about your rougue: Your eviscerate ALWAYS crits! No exceptions. Except when demanding warlock nerfs.

Ambush does not have a positional requirement.

Rogues are extremely gear dependent. If you can, get your wife the BOA daggers and as much leather gear and the necklace as possible. I would suggest leveling as assassination, but get combat as an off spec for dungeons when she hits 30. For soloing, if you can outgear the content (which full BOAs will do for a long while), you can one- or two-shot most non-elites.

Once you start getting most of your defensive abilities, evasion, feint, cloak of shadows, etc. you become much more survivable. Get the glyph that refreshes recuperate and slice and dice (slice and dice becomes permanent with one of the draenor perks, but not until minimum lvl 92), and leeching poison. Also get the glyph that reduces stealth CD so that she can one-shot, then stealth almost immediately.

Once you have access to marked for death, you can MFD-Envenom and wreck face. MFD resets every time you kill a target (or whenever a target with the MFD debuff is killed), so you can use that mechanic a lot when you are leveling. If she is struggling to 1-shot with MFD-envenom, she can mut mut envenom mfd envenom, and unless you are way undergeared, most enemies should be dead or very close to it.

Rogues can be very rewarding to level. Use sap, blind, and gouge to your advantage to reduce your incoming damage to 1 target. Evasion if you get a lot of enemies against you, and rupture 3 targets to receive high energy returns. Cloak of shadows and shadowstep/burst of speed to close the gap on casters (especially frost mages).

Maybe we could answer better if we knew what concerns you have.

What would make her disappointed in the class? Bad dps? Lack of variety between specs? Being squishy? Disappointment is a very subjective thing, so the more we know about what your wife is looking for, the more we can help.

I have raided as a rogue every patch in wow other than ICC for every expat since I started with wotlk release. I love it. Rogues are holding their own for dps right mow and we're slated to receive some solid buffs come 6.2.

I highly recommend rogues.

I have always played a rogue since the closed beta in 2004. They are an absolute blast to level! The stealthing around to get where you need to go to complete a quest is awesome, as you can often bypass targets you are not interested in killing.

Rogues are my favorite class to level... which is why I may or may not have 3 rogues above level 80.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__