Help our disc priest -- logs included

Hey all,

Hope your weekend is off to a good start . So our heroic BRF guild generally runs 3 heals -- hpally, rdruid and disc. We'd love if some of your disc vets could look over our disc's logs and see where she could improve. Thanks in advance!

Here's a log. I'm linking Thogar but you can scroll through, we cleared all of H BRF up to IM.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...&view=rankings

and here's her armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/elune/Jinx/simple
    Last edited by Marolen; 2015-04-18 at 07:26 AM.

You've linked the wrong log. Here's what you were trying to link, I believe. I'm far from the best Disc in the world, but I'll give the advice that I can.

The most glaring issue is that they're using Clarity of Will, a large single target absorb with a 2 second cast time and they cast the spell a total of 4 times the entire night. CoW is pretty much only used on low raid damage fights and/or high tank damage fights. Personally, I'd only use CoW on H&F, H-Thogar, and Maidens. Each of these fights has long periods of time where there's next to no raid damage(or predictable raid damage) and phases where there's bursts of raid damage that can be preemptively shielded. That being said, Words of Mending could be used on those fights as well. It's just passive, free healing. My advice is to swap over to WoM for every fight and let your HPally focus on tank healing. If tanks are getting trucked on, say, H&F then they can swap over to CoW. I'd stick with WoM otherwise.

A major issue is that Jinx isn't utilizing Archangel(AA) anywhere near as much as they should. You want as much uptime as possible on the buff considering it's a flat 25% increase to all healing. I see 20 casts of Holy Fire and no offensive Penance casts for the Thogar fight. Offensive Penance procs 2 stacks of Evangelism, the buff that is consumed when using AA. So here's what they can do. They can either offensively Penance 2 times and use a defensive Penance(with 2pc, that they do have) or Holy Fire for the fifth stack of Evang; or, they can swap over to Power Word: Solace and use that on CD. Solace plus defensive Penance casts will give them 5 stacks before AA is off CD and provide a way to actually fill health bars instead of just shielding everything. Another large reason that AA should be used on CD is that you gain a buff called Empowered Archangel that gives you a 100% crit chance on your next Prayer of Healing or Flash Heal. Disc crits also proc an absorb, so hitting an EAA PoH not only heals a group but it also shields them. Even on fights where you don't have to PoH, you can use EAA to preemptively shield a group or Flash Heal the tank giving him a pretty nice heal and absorb.

Additionally, Jinx is casting Prayer of Mending. The only time that I would cast PoM is on fights where I would feel fine using CoW. PW:Shield spam is the highest output a Disc can do. Spending time casting PoM on fights like Gruul and Kromog is effectively wasted HPS. On top of this, they aren't using Penance anywhere near as much as they should. 9 offensive Penance casts for the whole night would lead me to believe a ton of defensive Penance casts but Penance never did 1 million healing on any fight and was well under 500k on some fights. For comparison, here's my Penance healing when I was using PW:Solace over Mindbender. Well over 2 million healing for a 6 minute fight.

Another issue is mana management. Jinx has a Candle and only used the proc twice in a 6 minute fight. They missed out on 10k mana. Furthermore, they used a Channeled Mana Potion over a regular mana potion and lost 10 seconds of uptime for no real reason. They finished the fight with 70k mana so they basically wasted 10 seconds that could've been used for healing, and that's without using Candle on CD. Things like this aren't a huge deal, especially for heroic, but time spent doing zero HPS is time wasted. Final points, Power Infusion could be used more often. Mindbender can and also should be timed with Power Infusion/Lust. Mindbender is affected by haste, so those two major haste buffs will increase the mana returned from Mindbender. If we lust on pull, I normally shield as hard as I can and pop Mindbender with 20 seconds left.

TLDR; Swap to Words of Mending over Clarity of Will for most fights. Stop casting PoM unless there's nothing to shield/Penance. Build 5 stacks of Evangelism and use AA on CD. Use every EAA buff that you get, even if the actual PoH heal is 75% overhealing. Work on mana management and CD usage.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by Irefusetodie View Post
    Furthermore, they used a Channeled Mana Potion over a regular mana potion and lost 10 seconds of uptime for no real reason.
    The channeled mana potion is considered by most top priests to be better than the non-channeled version. 10 seconds of downtime during a period of low raid damage is nothing.

So unfortunately, you are wrong.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    So unfortunately, you are wrong.
    Losing 10 seconds of healing to end the fight with 70k mana is better than healing an additional 10 seconds and still having mana to spend at the end of the fight. Got it.

The only time a channeled pot is better is when that additional mana is actually being put to use.

Losing 10 seconds of healing to end the fight with 70k mana is better than healing an additional 10 seconds and still having mana to spend at the end of the fight. Got it.

The only time a channeled pot is better is when that additional mana is actually being put to use.
    So just cast more? #lackingcommonsense

In your rather uninspired example, the flat mana potion was wasted as well anyway.
    Last edited by PosPosPos; 2015-04-18 at 07:17 AM.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    So just cast more? #lackingcommonsense
    I'm done after saying this. The fact of the matter is that, if you don't need additional mana, you don't need to use a channeled pot. The disc priest in the OP has poor usage of Mindbender and hasn't been timing Mindbender with PI. Even with those issues, they still didn't require a channeled pot because they finished the fight with ample mana. If they had mana issues at the end of the fight and had used a normal mana pot, I'd be recommending a channeled pot to be used when you could get full use of the pot and, preferably, during a period of low damage. Here is a fight where I used a channeled pot. I didn't even get maximum usage out of it because of natural mana regen since I wasn't casting. I'm not against ever using channeled pots. I'm against using a channeled pot when it's not required.

Now that the thread has been derailed because you can't comprehend what you read, I'd like for this discussion to end so the thread can get back on track.

d'oh! thanks for catching my wrong link Irefuse . I've fixed it now. And thanks for your response also.

Well, as long as you're timing your potion use correctly, yes. Healing just plain doesn't work like DPS in terms of uptime. You never know when something will go horribly wrong (ex. one of the other healers gets knocked offline right before a big damage phase) and you WILL need that extra mana. If you can get away with 10 seconds of not healing during a low damage phase and can get that buffer, why not, even if it's just going to be extra mana at the end 80% of the time?

I'm done after saying this. The fact of the matter is that, if you don't need additional mana, you don't need to use a channeled pot. The disc priest in the OP has poor usage of Mindbender and hasn't been timing Mindbender with PI. Even with those issues, they still didn't require a channeled pot because they finished the fight with ample mana. If they had mana issues at the end of the fight and had used a normal mana pot, I'd be recommending a channeled pot to be used when you could get full use of the pot and, preferably, during a period of low damage. Here is a fight where I used a channeled pot. I didn't even get maximum usage out of it because of natural mana regen since I wasn't casting. I'm not against ever using channeled pots. I'm against using a channeled pot when it's not required.

Now that the thread has been derailed because you can't comprehend what you read, I'd like for this discussion to end so the thread can get back on track.
    If you don't need additional mana, you don't need to use a mana pot, channeled or not.

You derailed the thread on your own accord giving bad advice, then backpedaled on what you said by giving even worse examples and shifted goalposts, so if you could save yourself some face and just step down gracefully, it would be appreciated.

P.S. ALL encounters this tier have periods of low damage. Shocker isn't it?

Deleted
    Overall problem for him, is that he isn't keeping his stuff on CD, trinket, Archangel, mindbender etc.
    He specced into a lvl 100 he didn't use, not very bright.
    Clarity can do quite a lot of healing on thogar, because of the low damage on the raid, make sure to make good use of it.