Poll: How should Blizz handle flying going forward?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkspearNeverDie View Post
    Among other things, such as an Explorer and RPG-lover. Flying has also ruined the sense of scale and grandeur of the zones.

With many people having tried player-controlled flight, they can't understand what Classic WoW was like before it. The zones were massive and amazing to behold and travel through.

All of this is diminished by manually flying over it at the push of a button. It was only what hackers and Game Masters could do, in Classic.
    I played in vanilla, it was 'grand' because it was new and exciting. Flight didn't take away your ability to walk around on foot and explore, it gave you another way to explore. I can't fly in Draenor and it feels smaller and less interesting than any of the past continents where I could.

As far as I'm concerned, flying significantly shrinks the areas you're in in the same way travelling on the ground would at 420ms

That said, while I'm totally in favor of no-flying while the expansion is new, I really don't care if they add it when the expansion is on the final stretch. Seriously, by that point you just want to get going somewhere and log back off.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFuse View Post
    I played in vanilla, it was 'grand' because it was new and exciting. Flight didn't take away your ability to walk around on foot and explore, it gave you another way to explore. I can't fly in Draenor and it feels smaller and less interesting than any of the past continents where I could.
    No, it just trivialized it completely, among many other aspects of the game. Draenor felt quite massive until Aviana's Feather, allowing you to nearly fly manually across multiple zones again at the push of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimeez View Post
    It should definitely be added while the current expansion is still relevant. Otherwise it removes the importance of flying entirely.
    Imo either make it available from the start, or at max. Cataclysm zones were made to be done with flying in mind, and that's what made them interesting imo. At the same time, WotLK zones were made to be doable on ground, so we didn't get flying til max (or we got the rental in storm peaks). Either one works for me, but I definitely don't want to be grounded. It's just stupid, makes no sense and completely removes any fun and joy in exploring zones.

I played in vanilla, it was 'grand' because it was new and exciting.
    It was also grand because it was huge. The two continents are ten times as big as anything that can be added in one expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootybear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valancer View Post
    I play as a holy priest and when I ran hfc lfr I noticed after the first boss my heal spell wasn't casting. So I looked at it and it shows that it has a 34.4 min cast time
    Do you have the class trinket? If so, the cast time is correct. /s

I kinda like it the way it is. Sure they still need to get better at making flight paths, but yeah its getting there . Let flying be gone, and once the new exp gets here you're allowed to fly in the old one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruhman View Post
    add flying in draenor for 7.0 and done. leave it out of all the new content just like warlords
    Quoted for glorious truth.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkspearNeverDie View Post
    No, it just trivialized it completely, among many other aspects of the game. Draenor felt quite massive until Aviana's Feather, allowing you to nearly fly manually across multiple zones again at the push of a button.
    Aviana's, however, is more fun than just mounting, holding space, and hitting autorun. You control yourself because the whole time you're falling. You won't just hit your goal, you will land somewhere in between, and you need to ensure it's a safe spot.

Personally, gliding > flying IMO.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    It should be available only at max level.

What I'd like to see? That they dump flight as we know it entirely and reclassify all the flying mounts under different new categories, each with its own extra action button. Mounts that can act like a goblin glider, mounts that shoot up into the sky and glide like Aviana's Feather, mounts that launch forward and allow flight for a minute like the workshop rocket, and mounts that spawn cloud rings or some such that you have to weave through to stay airborne. All on cooldowns, shared by category.

Then I want them to do the same for ground mounts. More water walkers, more fast swimmers, and give the rest heroic leaps and blinks and anti-daze shields and ramming attacks and so on and so forth.

In other words, I want it done right, and not the quick, cheap and dirty way it's always been.

Deleted
    Keep it gone, add viable fast travel to each zone (ala mage tower for max level)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I'd like to see it completely redesigned (drastically lower max altitude, ability to use weaponry like bombs, expense or inherent risk in use, etc etc) In its current form it probably shouldn't come back at all, since it causes more issues than it solves.
    What does it do? kill worldpvp, right? ROFLMA

as probably the next xpac is being gated even worse without flyin it would be nice to get it at least at draenor so you could do archy *shudder* quick but as it is atm blizzard wont bring it back cause its easier to gate content this way....

For me? Unless 7.0 has flying in new content, at max level tops, I'm not buying the new expansion. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, no later patches.
    (And even if it's there, I'm probably not buying it anyway, until it hits live, and a month or two or three passes, to see people's opinions and stuff, if it'll be any better than WoD. If it's WoD 2? Good riddance, Blizzard.)
    Last edited by Demoneq; 2015-04-18 at 06:29 PM.

Once you have reached max level you get flying. Just like we have for all expansions except for WoD.

I'd gate the ability.

I'd allow for some weak minor flying ability at level cap. Maybe you get a total of 5 minutes of flying time per week and its a slow speed. Completing 5 man heroics or 5 man mythics gives you more time in the bank for the week. Hitting objectives in 5 man challenge mode can award you with permanently unlocked flying at top speed, but I would be careful to structure this award so people cannot simply be carried by players who specialize in doing so for gold.

Design goals:

5% have unlocked permanent flying by end of X.0
    15% by end of X.1
    25% by end of X.2
    35% by next xpac

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoneq View Post
    For me? Unless 7.0 has flying in new content, at max level tops, I'm not buying the new expansion. No ifs, no buts, no maybes, no later patches.
    (And even if it's there, I'm probably not buying it anyway, until it hits live, and a month or two or three passes, to see people's opinions and stuff, if it'll be any better than WoD. If it's WoD 2? Good riddance, Blizzard.)
    The trouble with this arguement is they just end up gating flying in a new island which limits them on creativity in zones. What's the difference of getting flying but then having a seperate timeless isle type zone where flying is removed.. Just accept the game has more creative avenues without flying because you can't skip things. I for one when levelling a bit late into the opening of WoD appreciated being able to see a rare on minimap or quest item etc and not be beaten by some max level swooping in and destroying it before I ran there. Wod would feel utterly tiny if we had been flying, zones like nagrand would be even more pointless than they already are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Not in X.0, X.1, X.2, etc. but in X+1.0.

It's pretty clear what their stance is on flying what with Isle of Thunder, Timeless Isle and Draenor. If they add it it will probably only be once content is highly outdated / obsolete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flying wasn't broken... until they 'fixed' it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Flying should be part of the gameplay content. Similar to how flightpaths works. Not saying that flying should exist only on rails, but that if there is something that can only be reached by flying that it should allow us to use it on that area. Though they should also improve flightpaths to use mounts from our favorite mount list (if they are flying).

As for flying in Draenor, the game world is already so small in that we have quick access too each area that we need to go to. As a Garrison owner with Mage Tower I have quick access too everything. From Garrison I have Hearthstone at Khadgar (so Talador), I have portal to Stormshield/Ashran, Spires of Arak, Nagrand, Frostfire Ridge. I have the mole machine to Gorgrond and the Garrison itself is located in Shadowmoon Valley so I have access too all Draenor zones instantly from Garrison.

15+ Year Old Account
    It should be as it's been for the last 8~ years. Available at level cap with a gold cost. No bullshit restrictions.
    This. The only valid complaints against flying I have seen are for PVP servers.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest