Computer as primary entertainment device?

I am planning on getting a new place and I want to be able to use a computer and my TV as an entertainment setup (with no cable). Unfortunately, living with cable for so long, I am not sure how to do this. I do have experience in building my own computer and can DO all of the setup work on my own, but I just don't know what I need in order to create such a setup. As I understand it, I need some kind(s) of streaming services directly to a computer, connected to my TV as an output device? I could use any advice from anyone who has experience with this!

Thanks to Zil for the awesome sig!

Deleted
    You'll need a TV with HDMI input (which I think every TV has nowadays).

I use an old laptop which is connected to my TV all the time. Before that, I used my PS3 as a media server.

I also used Steam a couple of times. I let it screencap my main PC to my laptop (with the TV as screen).
    Last edited by mmoc07b172f625; 2015-04-19 at 03:59 PM.

I would actually suggest building or buying a second PC to use as your media center, so you can still use your gaming/productivity machine without having to do weird two-screen things (Windows doesn't always play nice with a game running and the second screen being used for other things without finagling).

an HTPC (Home Theater PC)/Media Center doesn't have to be super powerful - you can throw one together for 3-400$ tops, or buy a ready-made solution like a used Mac Mini. Even if you dont like OSX/cant use a Mac, you can install Windows on it, and can often pick up a used Mini for 200-300$.

Youll need streaming services if you want to stream TV shows and the like (Netflix, Hulu, what have you, there are lots of services) or you can download shows/movies (from places like iTunes, etc) and store them on a drive. It's also legal to download any show (for free) that you could have recorded yourself - so any of the major networks that broadcast locally in your area (NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, etc) - you can legally download any of their shows (im talking US here, overseas, im not as sure) , because as far as the Supreme Court in the US is concerned, if you had the opportunity to record it off the broadcast, you're in the clear.